Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Having tested both 2D/2DHW and STANDARD, how is 40d18 compared to 40d?

Faster, no problems
Faster, problematic
Same speed, no problems
Same speed, problematic
Slower, no other problems
Slower, problematic
Doesn't work at all

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 25

Author Topic: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d18  (Read 105987 times)

guebstrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d18
« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2010, 08:29:05 pm »

guebstrike, is that "8/8" framerate for the 2D modes supposed to be an actual framerate? Does the game actually seem that slow to react?

Yes, 8/8 was the framerate, maybe up to 9/9, and it was significantly slower than the way the dwarves zoom around at 100 fpsish.

but you should pretty much forget about that. I realized that I was using a mucked up init.txt

I'm going to redo the test with a clean install.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 08:31:02 pm by guebstrike »
He is the former holy fungus of The Fellowship of Hell

Darkond2100

• Bay Watcher
  • Intrepid Groundhog
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2010, 08:29:41 pm »

Downloading to Mac right now!
your hoard, your dwarves, and your fortress.
I prefer Hoard, Horde, and Hovel...

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2010, 08:38:45 pm »

Has anyone else noticed that if you try to cursor to stone in the stocks menu it skips it? Is this:

Weird and needs reporting(Bug),
Weird and needs reporting(Blessing),
Planned feature I missed.
Not planned feature, that should be setable in dinit.txt?

I get that all the time in the stocks menu if I have more than 5000 stone... it's because you didn't wait long enough for the game to collect the data it needs and you hit another key (most likely because you thought you missed the key since the list doesn't show progress or update) which made it skip to the next entry.  Try it again, but wait (60 seconds or more) when you select stone in the list.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Darkond2100

• Bay Watcher
  • Intrepid Groundhog
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2010, 08:43:10 pm »

OSX DOES NOT WORK! I don't just mean that it plays bad, it doesn't start up. .exe does not work on Macintosh! This is ELEMENTARY when making ANY kind of program to work on Mac. I must say; I am thoroughly pissed off.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2010, 08:52:12 pm »

OSX DOES NOT WORK! I don't just mean that it plays bad, it doesn't start up. .exe does not work on Macintosh! This is ELEMENTARY when making ANY kind of program to work on Mac. I must say; I am thoroughly pissed off.

From the OP, right below the download links:

For users on Linux and OS X, run the df script, don't run the dwarfort.exe executable directly.

Totaku

• Bay Watcher
  • The little oni that strikes the earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2010, 08:56:03 pm »

I think you need to look again...

For users on Linux and OS X, run the df script, don't run the dwarfort.exe executable directly.

To simply put it, do you see the file called "df" in your Dwarf Fortress file? Use your terminal to open it. It should run the entire Dwarf Fortress game.

DO NOT RUN DWARF FORT.EXE! It will not work.
That's one small step for man, one giant leap for Otakukind!

And maker of the mod in progress known as Suika Fortress Now for 0.34.xx!

Darkond2100

• Bay Watcher
  • Intrepid Groundhog
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2010, 08:59:16 pm »

To simply put it, do you see the file called "df" in your Dwarf Fortress file? Use your terminal to open it. It should run the entire Dwarf Fortress game.

OK, I tried. It just says "There is no default application specidied to open the document "df"". What now?!?! I DOES give me a little option to "Choose Application"

Pearnamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 22, 2010, 09:00:18 pm »

It appears to work on OS X 10.6.2 (snow leopard) for me, although the first time it ran, it had a funny few-second hang before spawning the DF window.  Text mode appears to be an explosion of question marks, which is either the intended effect (probably), a result of my terminal settings, or being slightly off.

I can't get the pause to recur.  Seems to be about as fluid (standard mode, no double buffering) as my previous reference, d16.

When we're looking at (and reporting) framerates across versions, and the display says something like "100 (20)", which number should we be looking at?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 09:14:48 pm by Pearnamer »

Totaku

• Bay Watcher
  • The little oni that strikes the earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 22, 2010, 09:02:36 pm »

OK, I tried. It just says "There is no default application specidied to open the document "df"". What now?!?! I DOES give me a little option to "Choose Application"

You need to use the "Choose application" and from there you will need to change "recommended applications" to "All Applications"

Then find Terminal and select that and open it.

A little window should pop up as it runs through the basic programing code to run the file and then from there the game should then open.
That's one small step for man, one giant leap for Otakukind!

And maker of the mod in progress known as Suika Fortress Now for 0.34.xx!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 22, 2010, 09:03:40 pm »

You have to run it as a shell script.  Here are some tips for doing this in OS X:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=49089

Daenyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 22, 2010, 09:05:22 pm »

Updated my Arch Linux package in AUR and the Arch-Games repo

Janus

• Bay Watcher
  • huffi muffi guffi
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress File Depot
« Reply #71 on: February 22, 2010, 09:18:54 pm »

This is what I'm seeing on a fort with population 106 and 79 pets. Each test was done with a freshly unzipped save backup with the view in the same spot over my trade depot. Both used the same resolution, 80x25 layout, same tileset, FPS and G_FPS caps (100 and 20 respectively), and so forth.

40d
[PARTIAL_PRINT:YES:5]      55-65 FPS or so
[PARTIAL_PRINT:NO]         52-62 FPS or so

40d18
[PRINT_MODE:STANDARD]      52 FPS
[PRINT_MODE:2D]            22 FPS
[PRINT_MODE:2DHW]          22 FPS
[PRINT_MODE:2DASYNC]       22 FPS
[PRINT_MODE:PARTIAL:5]     52 FPS
[PRINT_MODE:ACCUM_BUFFER]  51-53 FPS
[PRINT_MODE:FRAME_BUFFER]  50-53 FPS
[PRINT_MODE:VBO]           crash

For reference, this is on a GTX260 video card and AMD Phenom II X4 965 CPU on Windows 7 x64.
Also of note, the "2D" modes had some odd color saturation issues, almost like it was downconverting from 256 color to 16 color or something like that. It's with BMP tilesets, if that makes a difference.
Tomas asked Dolgan, "What place is this?"
The dwarf puffed on his pipe. "It is a glory hole, laddie. When my people mined this area, we fashioned many such areas."
     - Raymond E. Feist, Magician: Apprentice  (Riftwar Saga)

heavy_metal41

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 22, 2010, 09:20:39 pm »

I am updating to this from one of Maydays old versions.  When I try to load my old save it crashes ans tells me it could not locate the Cats mouth.  Anyone have a quick fix for this?

I am experiencing the same issue.  I have a ten year fort in the last version of mayday's, with a river, channeled magma and ~150 dwarves.  I'd easily be able to see how the performance stacks up if I could import and run that save.

slaguth

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 22, 2010, 09:31:00 pm »

Is the linux version intended to include all the libraries needed to run it? On certain linux machines, I get the following error:

./dwarfort.exe: error while loading shared libraries: libopenal.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Editing the init.txt file seems to make no difference, with sound off, and even in text mode.

It would be really nice to make a "portable" version for linux with all the so's necessarily so I could carry it around on a flash drive and run it on any machine. Right now I can only really run it on my personal machine because of these library issues.

Daenyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 22, 2010, 09:59:57 pm »

Here's the .so files you would need in libs/. Obviously there's *some* expectation of the host providing parts. I didn't recurse more than just the one level, so these ones might need so files of their own, and so on..

Code: [Select]
readelf -d dwarfort.exe libs/* | grep NEEDED | sed 's/.*\[\(.*\)\]/\1/'| sort -u
ld-linux.so.2
libc.so.6
libFLAC.so.8
libgcc_s.so.1
libGLU.so.1
libgobject-2.0.so.0
libgraphics.so
libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0
libm.so.6
libncurses.so.5
libopenal.so.1
libpthread.so.0