Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Having tested both 2D/2DHW and STANDARD, how is 40d18 compared to 40d?

Faster, no problems
Faster, problematic
Same speed, no problems
Same speed, problematic
Slower, no other problems
Slower, problematic
Doesn't work at all

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 25

Author Topic: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d18  (Read 105990 times)

lizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d18
« Reply #270 on: February 26, 2010, 10:12:20 pm »

Your post to head fixes text display in Karmic in konsole and gnome-terminal.  Doubles my framerate from 9 to 20 in full-screen mode  :)  DF over ssh commenced!  Now to get it running on my cluster ...

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: February 26, 2010, 10:30:19 pm »

Yay! With the new version, and making sure LANG=en_US.UTF-8, it works over SSH!

However, it doesn't seem to delete the previous characters during the movie, and if my screen is anything but 80x25 when the movie starts it looks wrong.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: February 26, 2010, 11:33:46 pm »

My memory is bad, and I don't want to read through the thread again to see if this was already mentioned, so...

My [G_FPS_CAP] is set at 20.  However, occasionally the GFPS drops down to about 15, and the FPS drops with it.  Even scrolling is rather sluggish when this is happening.  I'm not running anything that makes significant use of the graphics card other than DF, so I have no idea why this would happen.

Oh, and I'm running in PARTIAL:0, and my window size is 1270x736.  Resizing the window smaller seems to fix this, but it does not ALWAYS run slowly while the window is large.   ...and also, restarting DF seems to make this go away temporarily, even though I had had DF paused for a while while typing this and it was still running slowly before I saved the game and restarted.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 11:41:07 pm by Malicus »

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: February 27, 2010, 06:05:50 am »

bombcar: Yeah, the movies being broken is a known issue. I'm looking at it.

Malicus: That happens if the GPU decides to block for some reason. It's particularily a problem with ATI cards, because nvidia allows a larger backlog before it does that. I've got a fix in the shader branch (not yet in -head, thus) that solves this by explicitly skipping graphical frames instead, but it depends on the ARB_sync extension; you might want to check if you have it.

(That'd be with http://www.realtech-vr.com/glview/ on windows, glxinfo on linux)

Re: framerate: Shader mode is just as fast as textmode. Just thought I'd mention that.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: February 27, 2010, 10:06:46 am »

Movies now fixed. Text-mode movies too. Not sure about the running out of color pairs issue.. how did that happen?

illiterate

• Bay Watcher
  • [THRIVES_ON_OBSCURITY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: February 27, 2010, 12:25:24 pm »

I am getting this output when I try to run df after installing the head. 

./dwarfort.exe: error while loading shared libraries: libncursesw.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I think it has to do with me running 64-bit karmic, but haven't found a way to fix it.    /usr seems to contain that file. 
"I accidentally dislodged a single tile at ground level while trimming the hill around the fortress entrance, and it punched through a lava moat, a gem stockpile and a bone stockpile before coming to a halt in someone's bedroom.  The bedroom's owner, a planter, was in bed at the time, and he got up and walked to the door just in time to get a coating of lava, gems, bones and scorched legendary miner chunks."  -NCarter

Daenyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: February 27, 2010, 12:26:27 pm »

You have the 64bit copy of that library, and you need 32bit

rdwulfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Rion Wulfe
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: February 27, 2010, 01:11:36 pm »

rdwulfe: Does it actually /feel/ faster, or are you going only by the FPS counter?

It felt a bit slower, but I will do better testing today and get back to you, Baughn, now that I have a few good maps to try things on. A recent crash erased all my old forts.

Wulfe
"   So the gods discussed it and created elves. The Elves were beautiful, Mistral Thrax admitted, in and elvish way, but it was his belief that the gods grew disappointed after a time because the elves -- being elves -- were essentially decorative but not particularly functional. They were content simply to live long lives and to exist. They did not nothing of any real value, in the opinion of Mistral Thrax."
   -- The Covenant of the Forge by Dan Parkinson, a Dragon Lance Novel

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: February 27, 2010, 01:54:12 pm »

I've got a new 40d18-head up now that displays the old FPS counter as well, for your comparison porpoises. It's a lot more jumpy, but I'm not sure it's all that much less accurate overall; hopefully someone will tell me otherwise.

Anyway, it goes "FPS (G_FPS) / old_FPS".

(Download! Please, think of the porpoises!)

illiterate

• Bay Watcher
  • [THRIVES_ON_OBSCURITY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: February 27, 2010, 02:37:57 pm »

You have the 64bit copy of that library, and you need 32bit

forgive my ignorance ..  how would I do this? 
"I accidentally dislodged a single tile at ground level while trimming the hill around the fortress entrance, and it punched through a lava moat, a gem stockpile and a bone stockpile before coming to a halt in someone's bedroom.  The bedroom's owner, a planter, was in bed at the time, and he got up and walked to the door just in time to get a coating of lava, gems, bones and scorched legendary miner chunks."  -NCarter

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: February 27, 2010, 02:51:50 pm »

Malicus: That happens if the GPU decides to block for some reason. It's particularily a problem with ATI cards, because nvidia allows a larger backlog before it does that. I've got a fix in the shader branch (not yet in -head, thus) that solves this by explicitly skipping graphical frames instead, but it depends on the ARB_sync extension; you might want to check if you have it.

(That'd be with http://www.realtech-vr.com/glview/ on windows, glxinfo on linux)

This is worrisome.  I can -not- find that extention in glview.  Again, my card is an nvidia Geforce 9400 GT.

Edit: And as far as glview's database claims, few cards DO have that extension.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 03:04:58 pm by Malicus »

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: February 27, 2010, 03:10:34 pm »

It's a very *new* extension; it was approved in november 2009. My 8600M supports it, though; try checking for new drivers.

Also, the game will keep working exactly as before if you don't have the extension; the code is conditionalized.

Ogantai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: February 27, 2010, 03:17:06 pm »

It's a very *new* extension; it was approved in november 2009. My 8600M supports it, though; try checking for new drivers.

Also, the game will keep working exactly as before if you don't have the extension; the code is conditionalized.
Is Shader mode in the -head version posted today already?

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: February 27, 2010, 03:20:28 pm »

The following are listed as cards that support the ARB_sync extension in glview:

GF 8400, GF 8400M GS, GF 8800 GT, GF 9500 GT, GF GTX 275, GF GTX 285, Quadro FX 3800.  ...only one of those isn't a GeForce, and my 9400 GT isn't included.  I'm trying a driver update anyway, though.

Edit: Huzzah!  The driver update worked.  I guess their database is just out of date.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 03:29:32 pm by Malicus »

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: February 27, 2010, 04:10:58 pm »

Is Shader mode in the -head version posted today already?
No. There's no way to implement it without making DF unstable, short of a recompile of DF, so it'll be in 40d19.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 25