Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Having tested both 2D/2DHW and STANDARD, how is 40d18 compared to 40d?

Faster, no problems
Faster, problematic
Same speed, no problems
Same speed, problematic
Slower, no other problems
Slower, problematic
Doesn't work at all

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 25

Author Topic: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d18  (Read 106002 times)

lizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d18
« Reply #225 on: February 25, 2010, 11:20:42 am »

installing urxvt onto my debian stable box, text mode displays correctly in konsole and gnome-terminal as well as urxvt.  May be something particular to ubuntu?  However, if I leave sound on in init.txt, the screen is continuously flooded with

Slot 1-0 requested, but no song loaded

all over the place.  I probably don't have the right config for sound, but that's an undesirable error behavior.

Bergelmir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: February 25, 2010, 01:47:55 pm »

Hm, it is not running for me on Ubutu 8.10. I linked my libjpeg.so into the libs folder as libjpeg.so.8, as I did it for d17. But I get the following error:
Code: [Select]
./dwarfort.exe: /usr/lib/libjpeg.so.62: no version information available (required by /home/xxx/Desktop/dwarffortress/df_linux/libs/libtiff.so.4)
Loading bindings from data/init/interface.txt
Error: Dimensions set to zero, aborting opengl initialization
render called without gl being initialized

Is a newer version of libjpeg neccessary than 62?
That's not a libjpeg problem; actually, the libjpeg version is totally irrelevant as it isn't used.

Looks more like opengl isn't initializing at all. What does "glxinfo | grep direct" say?

(The two errors are normal and more or less harmless. I'm still tracking down their source, but those won't affect gameplay.)
It says yes to me. And d17 was running fine for me, therfore a OpenGL problem would surprise me.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: February 25, 2010, 02:00:25 pm »

Hm, it is not running for me on Ubutu 8.10. I linked my libjpeg.so into the libs folder as libjpeg.so.8, as I did it for d17. But I get the following error:
Code: [Select]
./dwarfort.exe: /usr/lib/libjpeg.so.62: no version information available (required by /home/xxx/Desktop/dwarffortress/df_linux/libs/libtiff.so.4)
Loading bindings from data/init/interface.txt

Is a newer version of libjpeg neccessary than 62?
That's not a libjpeg problem; actually, the libjpeg version is totally irrelevant as it isn't used.

Looks more like opengl isn't initializing at all. What does "glxinfo | grep direct" say?

(The two errors are normal and more or less harmless. I'm still tracking down their source, but those won't affect gameplay.)
It says yes to me. And d17 was running fine for me, therfore a OpenGL problem would surprise me.
Resize your window.  It will go away.  (Or I think the latest head file is fixed.  I'd have to read further up in the thread to remember. ;))
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Bergelmir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: February 25, 2010, 02:12:29 pm »

Resize your window.  It will go away.  (Or I think the latest head file is fixed.  I'd have to read further up in the thread to remember. ;))
Thanks for pointing that out again, I did not finish reading the thread when I was replying to Baughn. The resizing is working perfectly fine.
I will test the latest HEAD later.

Yaddy1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: February 25, 2010, 02:40:39 pm »

The only possible reason a save file wouldn't work is if you either copied the save over incorrectly (you have to copy the entire region folder in \save) or one version was modded differently from the other.

I copied the objects folder from 40d16 and pasted it into 40d18. I then copied the region and pasted it into the save folder. It crashes whenever I try to load the save.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #230 on: February 25, 2010, 02:43:46 pm »

Which objects folder? data/objects or raw/objects?
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: February 25, 2010, 02:46:18 pm »

The only possible reason a save file wouldn't work is if you either copied the save over incorrectly (you have to copy the entire region folder in \save) or one version was modded differently from the other.

I copied the objects folder from 40d16 and pasted it into 40d18. I then copied the region and pasted it into the save folder. It crashes whenever I try to load the save.

Just zip up your entire DF folder and upload it to the DF File Depot, please.

Yaddy1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: February 25, 2010, 03:17:49 pm »

Alright got it to work (didn't know about the data objects folder, however it runs much slower and has several strange glitches that I noticed right away. The first one is when I turned the FPS counter on it has farther down and to the right then it should have been, as well as having extra numbers in it. Secondly there was no music on the menu screen, until after I saved. It then continued to play the in-game music, NOT the menu music.

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: February 25, 2010, 04:13:40 pm »

I'm on a mac here.

I would just like to say that this version is fucking awesome.  It's almost 2x as fast as d16 was on my comp.

You guys rock.

Tel_Janin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: February 25, 2010, 04:19:41 pm »

Now that DF runs in console with curses I just had to run it that way. I don't really need to run an X server anymore. Though in the default terminal I don't have the proper characters so dorfs show up as squares, as do tables and chairs and several other things. But they show up proper in urxvt.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: February 25, 2010, 04:49:41 pm »

I figure I should tell you guys what I've been doing the last two days, namely arranging to be able to take this picture: http://brage.info/~svein/df.png

That's DF, running most of the graphics code on the GPU instead of the CPU. Though CPU use is still at ~4% on my laptop, that's a two-thirds reduction from any of the others (except text, but it's still 40% faster than that). (Oh, and the actual, currently incomplete shader code is to the left..)

It's by no means ready for use yet, but this mode is looking very, very promising.

Only problem for you: It needs a DX10-compatible card. That is, one that could potentially run DX10, were vista/w7 installed.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: February 25, 2010, 04:53:51 pm »

Cool!

I noticed that the ncurses interface still wants to load libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0 - is it needed?

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: February 25, 2010, 04:54:49 pm »

Technically not, but creatin an executable that only loads it if the configuration requires it would take considerable work.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Yaddy1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: February 25, 2010, 05:14:55 pm »

I'm on a mac here.

I would just like to say that this version is fucking awesome.  It's almost 2x as fast as d16 was on my comp.

You guys rock.

I'm on a mac too but it's agonizingly slow.

Fist_Of_Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • Shorer, Kobold Pimp cancels Work: Too Pimpin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: February 25, 2010, 05:56:40 pm »

Okay, this is REALLY annoying.

I set some of my keys to do the wrong thing, and now I can't change them back-like, at all. Even altering the text file DF references didn't do anything; it set them back to normal even before I closed it.

I need a way to make the = key not go up a level every time I try to use it. It's getting annoying.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 25