Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Would you be interested in designing a world?  (Read 1651 times)

krukef

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Would you be interested in designing a world?
« on: February 21, 2010, 04:27:22 pm »

Remember the first time you heard about Dwarf Fortress? I sure do. I can remember my inner monologue going something like "Seriously? The game lets me do ALL THAT??" A versatile simulation that is rich in content. That is what Dwarf Fortress is to me, and it makes for some of the best gameplay I've experienced.

But I also like to create, and this post is written to everyone in the DF community that loves to design and flesh out interesting new ideas: How about getting together and creating a World Design Wiki?

A World Design Wiki

A wiki where everyone from programmers to enthusiasts can contribute in a structured way towards a common goal: That of providing good input to future games. What does a World Design Wiki contain? Well, anything that describes various aspects of simulating a world:
  • Biomes
  • Geology
  • Flora, from generics to specific plants
  • Fauna
  • Weather
  • How animals should behave
  • Terrain generation approaches
  • Genetics
  • Mechanics
  • Industry and resources: What everything can be used to make
  • Combat
  • Fluids
  • +++

The list could go on and on. Anything from mostly informational articles such as descriptions of various metals and how they are of interest to games, to highly technical ones, such as a procedure for simulating water. Everything, of course, with a focus on various levels of abstraction: An article on how to simulate combat could begin with a "One number" abstraction (that is, combating units destroy eachother based on a single "strength" number) and follow up with sections of increasing detail, perhaps topped off with a list of combat abilities/traits.

The benefits

The obvious benefit for everyone in the DF community is that all the great suggestions everyone has can be written down in a more productive environment. While forums are great for discussing and tossing ideas back and forth, a lot of potentially awesome stuff will fade into obscurity. A wiki allows ideas to graduate into articles of higher quality and in a format that is easy to reference. The DF Suggestions forum would still be the place to throw around any idea that comes to mind. The wiki would act as an extra tool to store and structure information worth keeping.

A second great benefit is that other game developers can use the wiki. We don't mind more games that implement awesome simulations, do we? The entire idea of a wiki actually came to me when I, as a programmer, pondered about writing a simulation and realized just how much effort I would have to lay down in order to produce anything nearly as good as Dwarf Fortress. A wiki such as this will allow us to work together to spread our ideals of versatile and interesting game worlds by making a great resource for any game developer.

And let's not forget just how plain fun it is to design stuff for it's own sake.

It's up to you, really

I'm excited about the possibilities, but more importantly, are you? A good wiki can only come out of the combined effort of motivated people, so the question is: Are you people interested in starting a wiki like this?

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
Re: Would you be interested in designing a world?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 05:05:42 pm »

Not that I'm likely to contribute anything, but I think this is a good idea!
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 05:12:52 pm »

In. I'm working on a project, and have been thinking about these topics for a while now. Sharing what we learned is a good thing.

Except that "combats abilities/traits" is hardly "topped off". What are the effects on dexterity and concentration when your pancreas is pierced? That's the kind of combat stuff that sais "topped off"  ;D

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Kilo24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 08:18:01 pm »

It does sound interesting.  I am somewhat reluctant to commit to anything concrete at this point because I'm currently working on a game that's sucking up all my time, but perhaps I'll join in once it's up.

krukef

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 07:29:51 pm »

It does sound interesting.  I am somewhat reluctant to commit to anything concrete at this point because I'm currently working on a game that's sucking up all my time, but perhaps I'll join in once it's up.

No need to commit to anything concrete. This initial post is mostly about gauging whether people like the idea in general.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 08:02:50 pm »

Actually a good idea. Especially if someone like a biologists writes a idea and a Programmer then makes a nice pseudo code for it. This could be a nice Sandbox-algorithm database.

edit: Which then could be made into a actual c++ - library for rogue likes and into another for 3d stuff. Boids (simulation of Animal-swarms) for example are far easyer in a "tiled" system then in 3d.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 08:07:37 pm by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 01:13:54 am »

Quite clearly you're trying to make one or more of these. ;)

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 01:54:36 am »

I would probably write something in it if I could of something.

Not so sure what that would be though ::)
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 07:29:42 am »

I'm game. I've been doing world-building in my spare time for years, so I've got various tidbits I can add (assuming free time, which is about to become extremely limited).

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 07:45:08 am »

Sounds like a good idea. Anything I know that isn't covered by NDA's I'm happy to share.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

krukef

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2010, 01:34:55 pm »

Ok peeps! It seems to me it's worth a shot putting this together, right?

Here's a list of initial stuff that needs to be done to get started:
  • Get a domain
  • Get a host
  • Solicit some administrators
  • Write some tentative guidelines on how to write articles
  • Write an initial selection of articles (can't afford to be a ghost-town wiki!)
  • ? ? ? ?
  • Profit

I must admit, I don't want to run this wiki. I mostly want to write and read articles of said wiki. However, seeing as this was my idea and all, I'll do whatever work no-one else signs up for.

Hosting: I have a simple shared host I can run this on, but if anyone can offer something better, feel free.

Administrators: I've never run a wiki before. The World Design Wiki could really need an administrator or two to get started. Requirements: Anyone that can bother checking the wiki a few times a week and administrate whatever needs to be administrated. Please PM me if you can help out with this!

Contributors: I imagine it would be great to have a few initial contributers to get the wiki started. If you haven't already done so, please reply to this thread to indicate that you might consider contributing. It will be great to have a list of people to contact once the wiki is ready so we can "jump start" the article writing. Don't hesitate to sign up, it's only an indication of interest :)

Domain: I haven't had any great ideas myself. I considered the available "ludowiki.net/org" from the technical term ludology... I don't like it, but I can't think of any other concise name.

Anything else?

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2010, 01:53:05 pm »

I don't know anything about programming, but I'd be happy to contribute ideas/thoughts etc.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2010, 02:59:06 pm »

I have a domain, and some space. I can set up a wiki, and make someone admin, but don't have the time to actually admin the whole thing.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 08:29:06 am by Siquo »

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2010, 04:39:58 pm »

I love the idea, and I'd love to participate, if this isn't restricted entirely to programming and videogames.

Well, I guess it's time got get out the 'ol worldbuilding folder I stashed! ;D

EDIT: Hey krukef, any possibility you could disregard my PM? It's not that I'm trying to be letter-down or that I'm consistently like this, but now that I though about it a bit more I don't think I'll manage it. Sorry for the little product of my flight of fancy there; my sugar-high is causing me problems :P
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 05:03:31 pm by lordnincompoop »

krukef

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2010, 05:56:16 pm »

EDIT: Hey krukef, any possibility you could disregard my PM?

Sure, I appreciate the intention as well as not making a half-hearted attempt if you aren't sure about it.

I have a domain (siquo.net), and some space. I can set up a wiki, and make someone admin, but don't have the time to actually admin the whole thing.

A domain is no problem. I have several domains myself. What we need is a good name for a domain for this wiki, then I'll just go register it. How is your hosting? I have a 10$ a month shared host, so please specify. Hosting a wiki on my host usually gives a couple of seconds delay when browsing stuff. Not awesome, but not terrible either. It's fairly reliable. Got better?
Pages: [1] 2