Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16

Author Topic: Talltower 2 (Tower Fortress Succession Game)  (Read 24695 times)

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
Re: Talltower 2 (Tower Fortress Succession Game)
« Reply #180 on: March 20, 2010, 12:38:24 am »

Remove their eyes like I did? And set to ignore refuse from outside in order menu?

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: March 21, 2010, 02:32:24 am »

---

4th Hematite, 305, in which a bright sun Illuminates our Tower~

The air begins to simmer, less a frigid blossom and now fully into prosperity. The dawn of our solstice approches, rising in the distance. We too shall rise to meet it, and with it the Up.

I feel the entire plebescite is aflutter with the summer breeze – a frazzled weaponsmith, far from functioning fluidly without fibre to fuel his forge, has begun muttering to himself in excitement! Yes, this Ineth is much like a respresentative of my inner ferocity; he is full of life and furiously working away at his station. I have great expectations for the fine fellow.

---

22nd Hematite, 305, upon which I do my best to shroud my Horrendous Disappointment~

I awakened to the sounds of rapture. Peering into the halls I saw Ineth, my favoured one, being hoisted in the air on the shoulders of many a dwarf. In his hands he held a magnificent iron sword.

“Smith!” I called; at the sound of my authority the silence blotted out the pleasant fervor. “What artifact has one such as yourself crafted in your hand there?”

“Bloody nice sword, boss!” he called back, widely grinning. The crowd cheered jovially.

“Indeed I see that! Of what substance is it? And pray tell me of the many marvellous images you have no doubt woven into its hilt!”

He blinked and looked down at the sword in his hand. “Just a piece ‘o iron, boss. What’s this about images?”

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I sighed; truly no dwarf after I would ever comprehend such artistic flourishes. “Neveryoumind,” I grumbled. “Does this ‘just a sword’ carry a name?”

At this he again grinned. “Lobsterstrangle, boss! The Distinct Dweller!”

Odd, this dwarf. Nevertheless, a fine piece of craftsdwarfship. Perhaps one of Kogan or Lor could make use of this tool – I have heard they are something of legends at their wrestling these days.

Enough dallying. I must return to my work upon the Tower. Up waits for no dwarf to meet it.

---

15th Malachite, in which we Strike against our foes of the Nether rift~

I have constructed a marvellous plan to rid of us the chasmlings. First we shall dig to the rift; second we are to carve small slits within the walls, and thirdly our marksdwarf Ilral will begin firing upon them. Early today this plan was forwarded into action. It appears to be working marvellously thus far.

Many brutes and mole-y beasts have now fallen to Ilral’s aim. Unfortuitously, however, a cloud of purple haze seems to emit from the void unendingly.

I attempt to put it from my mind, but it now appears within my old dream. I know not what to make of this. And I swear I would have seen such a purpley cloud inside the Tower as well. O! mine eyes. What do I make of thee?

---

1st Galena, on which I find Solace in a Young Youth~

A youth, shaking ever so minutely, extended his noggin withinto my chambers. I turned, hearing such a sound. “Aye? What of you, boy?”

He trembled, momentarily trying to withdraw into the corridor before being pushed entirely into the room by unseen hands. The door was then pulled shut loudly. The boy stared at it brief, then turned his gaze to match mine. He was to talk, but found no voice.

“Speak up, there! I have little time for bequieted children.”

Finally words flowed out of the small fellow’s talking apparatus. “T-t-the other d-dwarves, they, they said, to tell you the humans… um, the humans are here.”

“Chas—”

“—and they’re already at the depot and it’s too late to chasm them,” he quickly finished.

I grew calm, though furious within. “Be it that way! Then we shall trade and take all they have to offer. What goods do we have with which to acquire their wares?”

He showed me a list of our stores. It was an impressive amount – surely there was no way we could trade all this! I ordered this youth to give the humans a whole assortment of cloths and buy them out. Especially the cheese. “Go!” I said. “Follow out my instructions, lad, and thou shalt have a place at my side as we rise towards the Up!”

Yes, indeed this boy was proving a useful aide. Perhaps his future assisting me will be illustrious. Especially with his keen eye for carrying out cheese-aligned orders.

The boy returned a host of minutes later, again worried; though I was quick to notice none had forced him within the doorway this time. “W-w-w… we have acquired cheese, lord,” he said modestly.

I sat up from my throne, exhilirated. “Boy! What is your name!”

He mumbled ‘Legon,’ though atwitter with stumbling and stuttering.

“Thou child Legon! You have earned your place in my glorious administration. Our partnership shall be known across the land beneath the Tower.”

He shrugged vaguely.

“Didst thou arrange for the humans to bring… more cheese?”

The youth Legon nervously scratched his arm. “The diplomat got ambushed by gawblins like basically right away. He’s totally dead.” Damn! Aggravating indeed. Then there may well be no more cheese. I made note to stock the remains of our cheese stores in my personal quarters for ‘rationing.’

“Gawblins, hm?” I said, changing the topic. “And what of these gawblins now?”

“They beat up some marmots then walked into our cages.”

I stroked my not un-incredible beard. Perhaps these caged adversaries wouldst come in handy at a later time. I could sense adversary alighting within some dwarves as I now strolled the halls of the Tower – it may be prudent to prepare some way to rid myself of them.

“Acceptable,” I finally said. There was a vacuum hanging in the air for a brief few minutes. The boy Legon was waiting to be dismissed. A good lad. But I was troubled. Dare I share my deepest fears with this innocent youth…? “I… have this… dream,” I said finally, then quieted my mouth. No. I would not share it yet. But I needed him to help me. Not now, but soon. Help. Help.

It would not stop it did not stop it shall not stop. Help. It never… helphelphelphelphelp—

“—I have this one dream too sometimes,” the boy finally spake, freeing me from my thoughts. I fell back upon my throne, breathless, panting. He stared at me – could he think me mad? No. I trusted this youth. I would let him go onwards.

“Yes? What of it?” I replied.

“Well, I’m like… standing there… and then this dog flies out of nowhere and hits me in the face.”

I blinked. “You pick fights with canines during your slumbers?”

“Not like that, like, the whole body just smacks me.”

I pondered this. “Intriguing! Go. I shall hear more of this dogfighting at a later time.”

He left hurredly, perhaps to see about acquiring more cheese. I could only—

It grabbed me again there and there. again. again. again. the dream

helpme

---

Writing like this gives me a headache. Ow.

Two more questions – First, I noticed Orb doesn’t have a dwarf, either. Any preference there? And the other thing is where was our old dump zone? I set up a new one into the river’s chasm, but I don’t think everything ends up down there. And Spoon; gonna use the latter suggestion but I think with good use of the tiny military I can keep the cancelspam down. We have two champion wrestlers and Ilral's an Elite Marksdwarf now! I think I'm gonna throw a third and fourth dwarf into wrestling soon.

Would’ve posted this yesterday but didn’t have internet. As it is, I’ve already played out the fall, so just need to type up and prepare that one, then there’s just winter. I'm sort of worried that my floor won't get ceiling'd before my turn's over but whatever. Whoever's next can probably finish it when they need to floor their floor.

Coronel_Niel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: March 21, 2010, 01:52:44 pm »

I'd like a late slot please.

crash2455

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: March 21, 2010, 01:53:38 pm »

Done.

Also, nice going Retro.  Who needs archery ranges when you have zombies?
Think you can brave the cold? How about endless waves of zombies, goblins, and orcs? Check out Talltower the Tall Tower of Ice.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: March 22, 2010, 03:54:42 pm »

---

4th Limestone, 305, in which I require a watering Reflection to match my beauty~

The Tower is not enough. It is not enough. It is. It is not. Not enough.

I have ordered the carvation of a magnificent reflecting pool beneath the mountain. It is to be finely engraved for the idle dwarf to behold the majesty thereof. I have been warned that plants may scuff up my beloved artwork, as we have noticed shrubs upon the muddier parts of the fortress – BAH! I say to this. No fibrous beings shall impose upon my cheese.

---

10th Sandstone, 305, upon which my Fortunes turn for the greater~

We have located a rich bed of mineral ore! A cornucopia of magnetite was discovered in the mountain, sheared in twain by a magnificent swath of platinum. As we do not have the wood nor magma to supply smithing or furnace operating, I have ordered these stones to be used for the benefit of the community at large. Let none say that Retro is a selfish and pompous ruler!

I am preparing the carved cluster for my own bedchambers. It shall be beautifully engraved with my finest work; truly I shall sleep well from this day on. The Spoony one says I am getting awfully cozy in my position of power. Ha! to think I cannot see through his plans. Usurper! I shall have to devise a means to do away with him.

Sleep… has it been so long? I have been striving to stay awake… the dream. the. the. the. the. the it is terrifying and grips me so. I do not know who to turn to. I have tried to explain to the boy Legon. He only stares. Does he know? Could he suspect???????

---

23rd Timber, 305, in which I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I Ihelpme~

A furnace operator, Zuglar, has produced a fine piece of masonic work. Lensspire, the Bud of Universes he calls it. It is mesmerizing. A fine limonite coffer with many other fabulous items within it, of 64,800 wealth. I believe I shall use it to mark my fabulous territory within the platinum.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I still cannot sleep and I don’t know what to do anymore it is becoming so hard and I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t I can’t

I dream. I dream. I dream. But I cannot sleep.

---

Yay, autumn’s over. We have a clothier named Urist Uristilun. I have declared his profession to be Uristclothier. Noticed the butchers kept giving me ‘no butcherable animal yo!’ spam and tried to figure out what kept creating the butcher animal jobs… they were trying to butcher cages. So… I guess that’s dealt with.

Also, I didn’t mention the dwarven caravan’s arrival in-character because something really weird happened. One wagon arrived and made it to the depot just fine. The others imploded into each other.

They got stuck and couldn’t move for like a month. The pack animal traders made it right to the depot eventually, but I wasn’t able to bring goods over because there were ‘no merchants trading at the depot.’ The diplomat ran in to the fortress and began talking to the mayor, then suddenly ran away. Then suddenly everyone booked it off the map, and when I looked again, the stuck wagons were gone, there was a pile of logs, and a MASSIVE load of items all in one square. I guess a wagon finally gave way and dumped its contents. Then the diplomat ran BACK into the fortress, finished his discussion with the mayor as usual, and then left the map. I dug underneath the itemblock and channeled it out from under in order to grab everything without dangerously exposing everyone and found the magnetite cluster + platinum vein while doing so, which was wicked. So the whole thing went glitchy to hell but the end result was the most goddamn amazing suite ever for Retro so all in all I consider this a win.

Also, we requested cheese.

crash2455

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: March 22, 2010, 04:28:06 pm »

they were trying to butcher cages.

2 Questions:

What?

How did you figure that out?
Think you can brave the cold? How about endless waves of zombies, goblins, and orcs? Check out Talltower the Tall Tower of Ice.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 22, 2010, 04:34:10 pm »

The butchers were running to the butcher's workshops, spamming me that there were no animals there, then running away and repeating half a minute later. And the tanners would subsequently spam me that there were no leather hides to tan. I kept canceling the Butcher an Animal jobs, but they got recreated right away. Using 't' I saw that the only items tasked were a cedar cage in one and an ashen cage in the other, and sure enough, forbidding the cages stopped the spam and unforbidding them started it back up. It was weird. I've had some other glitchy stuff happen, too, but this was the most amusing/annoying.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 22, 2010, 07:26:43 pm »

...Also, despite everyone I look at having full layering of clothes on, a bunch of dwarves two kids, a horse, and a war dog suddenly died with the message 'has bled to death' and the corpses were outside, clothes-less. Um.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 07:34:33 pm by Retro »

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 22, 2010, 08:01:26 pm »

. . .
Which kids?  Although I can say that kids take ages to actually pick up clothes.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

crash2455

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 22, 2010, 08:16:55 pm »

Make sure that no one stays outside for more than a day or two.  Everyone pretty much shatters like glass after that point in time.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: March 22, 2010, 08:18:58 pm »

Yeah, it looks like the kids were basically naked and died during some Remove Construction work. Everyone else except for two bedridden losers is totally healthy though. Floor's done though so nobody's going back outside, just finishing up the last week of gameplay and then I gotta write me a finish to my year.

. . .
Which kids?

>_>

No one in particular...?

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 22, 2010, 08:58:02 pm »

---

5th Moonstone, 305, in which HELP why will you not help me I need need need

Okay. Okay. Okay.

Okay.

We are okay. Right? Yes. Yes. Yes.

I am help.

The boy has betrayed me. Betrayal. THIS CANNOT BE GONE WITHOUT PUNISHABLE RETRIBUTION OF THE MOST VENGEFUL help

The dream: I see it again even as I am in my waking. Around me, forever around me… images. images. images.

I need freedom. The boy is holding me back. He too is now in my dream. I need to stop dreaming. This is a nightmare. I want to want to need to wake up up up up up Up.

I continue my artistry. It is the only way to get my mind off such things.

---

6th Moonstonestonestonestonestonestone

I have ordered him outside hahahaha it is so cold he will be cold and freeze they will suck the warmth from his bones BONES no no no not again

I encased his body in history

the dream wakes me FILL THE POOL please oh please fill the pool

---

OPAL HAHAHA

the pool is full look look pray you sir will you take a look

the waters are golden I stand upon the platform and stare down into the reflecting waters and only see myself WILL YOU STOP STARING aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I jump in and flounder they pull me out they want to know what happened to the boy what DID happen to the boy he GOT WHAT WAS COMING TO HIM THAT IS WHAT DID HAPPEN that is what happens when you haunt my dreams

---

obsidisidisidisidisidisidisidisidisidisidisidisidian

all I can do is engraaaaaaaaave there is nothing else I have been locked here I am trapped in this room it aches it echoes there is nothing

I look at the engraving. it is an engraving of me. I am looking back at myself.

reflections all around me

please would you stop staring

all I want is for you to stop staring

please

please

please help me

please

---

Okay, I'm all done. The DFFD wasn't working for me when I tried it just now, so I'll come back with the save soon as I can, and I'll go add the map to the DFMA.

Ed- I'm having a really weird issue. To run the game (since I couldn't work page up/down in the 40d## version of the save) I copied the save and the raws to a fresh folder and played out my turn there. However, now when I try to export the image no images appear, and when I copy the save to anywhere else it loads the save as if it was fresh from when I got it from LegoLord - even though it's on 1st Granite 306 in my folder. So I went back to my copy of DF with the working save and labelled it "Talltower WorkingSave" then loaded the game to see what would happen - and despite the save folder only showing one save, I got TWO forts to choose from on the 'Continue Playing' screen: One was 'Talltower 306' and the other was 'Talltower WorkingSave 305.' Is this a known bug, or what? I've searched for the original save folder and can't find it; I have no idea where my save actually is, I'm just somehow capable of playing it from one DF copy! D:
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 10:40:22 pm by Retro »

CrimsonEon

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that Blood Thine or the Enemy's?
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: March 23, 2010, 09:44:48 am »

Hang on, I think I know your problem, you wouldn't so happen to be running Windows Vista or 7 are you? Search your user folder for Dwarf Fortress files (Use the search function, I wasn't able to find it manually), there may be a folder there that contains the save files that were updated as you played, Copy those and paste them into a complete save folder and try using that

Edit: To elaborate, there should be much less files in the DF Save in the user folder than the others. This is where I think DF defaults to writing updated files when it can't find the original folder due to the saves or raws being moved. If you copy all these into the original folder and replace any existing files it prompts for it should be a complete (updated) save.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 10:00:31 am by CrimsonEon »

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: March 23, 2010, 01:01:16 pm »

That was absolutely the problem, thanks CE! I have no idea why W7 is dumb enough to redirect the entire folder and play from there instead of the original folder, but at least it's been solved. I'll be back with the save and the map within the hour.

CrimsonEon

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that Blood Thine or the Enemy's?
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: March 23, 2010, 01:03:38 pm »

I'm not even sure if it's Windows 7, it seems more like a fail-safe Toady programmed into the game in case the Save folder can't be found when it tries to write. It just so happens that this has only happened on my Windows 7 and Vista Computers, not my XP, could just be a coincidence 
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16