Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16

Author Topic: Talltower 2 (Tower Fortress Succession Game)  (Read 24691 times)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: Talltower 2 (Tower Fortress Succession Game)
« Reply #165 on: March 17, 2010, 07:15:22 pm »

4th Moonstone, Early Winter 304
The spare mutts are being trained as war dogs.  Some already have names - We suppose they once had masters.  Now the Fortress is their master.

12th Moonstone
Once all the available dogs were trained into war animals, there were enough for each of our current militia members to have two assigned to them each.  That’s six dogs for three dwarves.

13th Moonstone
Orcs have arrived at our gates once more.  Our war dogs may see some action today.  Three squads, one from each direction save the south.  Each led by an orcish axe lord - one in particular having a name well worth noting: Fellmonkeys.  That sums up orcs fairly well, we should think.   No snipers this time, only wrestlers, carvers, and swordsmen.

14th Moonstone.
One of the axe lords, Pash Stinkcruel, entered the fortress before any of his comrades and before we could raise the outer bridge.  It killed a named wardog before sending the dog’s puppy flying over twenty paces into a dwarven child.  These dwarves and their child rearing methods.

15th Moonstone
We really must admire the ruthlessness of the orcs.  Just a couple of wrestlers eliminated most of the war dogs, two of our militia, and ripped an arm off of a drafted peasant.

18th Moonstone
How distressing, really.  The casualties from the few orcs that got in have brought the population down from fifty-five-ish to forty.  Several are wounded, some possibly maimed.  We haven’t checked too thoroughly.  How is work supposed to get done around here when orcs keep killing and wounding all the workers?  Anyway, the mayor fell in battle.  That’s the only notable casualty.  We can’t even remember who the mayor was, honestly.  No one of particular skill, at least.

23rd Moonstone
Several orc corpses were found outside the entrance, presumably dead from chill.  One was an axe lord, though which one we are not sure.

13th Opal, Mid-Winter
It must be a Friday, because one of the dwarves spawned a helpless, bearded dwarf that can’t do work and demands constant attention.

18th Opal
Ah, the sweet smell of miasma fills the halls.  Dwarves are wallowing in nourishing sadness – a bright side to the recent loss.  Nearly a year ago this place was in famine - for us and the dwarves.  And only now has the famine truly ended.  It is not often creatures of such emotion willingly choose to make their home in such a place as this - we need to preserve it.  We cannot starve again . . .

2nd Obsidian, Late Winter
Whilst pitting goblin prisoners into the chasm, a goblin master thief made an unsuccesful attempt at escape – it was recaptured in a cage trap, but managed to injure the dungeon master in the process.  A broken leg and some trauma to the abdomen.  He’ll recover.  In the mean time, he seems to be having nightmares about the damn thing.  We see no problem with this.

3rd Obsidian
Alas, it seems the Dungeon Master’s nightmares ended once the master thief was chasmed.  Oh well.

4th Obsidian
Inod Ilralkutam the Leatherworker has been possessed by some lesser malignant force.  Nothing major; no dwarves will die.  Still likely to make a good fourth Anchor for our Rite.

19th Obsidian
The leatherworker has made Thortithumid Okin Gonggash, “Spellfalls The Equity of Flaying,” a cow leather tunic.  It is valued at 26400*.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It depicts the suffering of dwarves; a powerful Anchor indeed.  The strongest megabeast available should be housed with it.

1st Spring, year 305 - Sunrise
   Throughout the fortress, dwarves wandered in confusion.  None were entirely certain of some major details of the past year.  Who had led them?  Where had he come from?  Where did he go?  Why could no one remember what he looked or sounded like?  Why couldn’t they find any trace of him, and who would lead them now?
   The only thing anyone could be certain of was that times were dark, and that they would only get darker.

Map
Save
Good luck!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 07:38:24 pm by LegoLord »
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 17, 2010, 08:59:26 pm »

And so the dwarves of Talltower were saved from the insanity of their mysterious overlord overseer LegoLord. Surely their future will be free from such chaos! (ironic foreshadowing)

Nice year, LL. I've got the save and I'll give it a look tonight; probably won't start playing until tomorrow. And I can keep that 'only accessible from the above level' thing for the special bedroom, too.

crash2455

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 17, 2010, 09:38:23 pm »

LegoLord, what tileset are you using?

Also, it appears that the invaders are doing more damage than I predicted.  If you desire, you can go with DemonicSpoon's crazy overkill plan.
Think you can brave the cold? How about endless waves of zombies, goblins, and orcs? Check out Talltower the Tall Tower of Ice.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 18, 2010, 07:28:45 am »

Hey! There's no kill like overkill I say!

Also, gimme another turn, to fix the horrors that these people have created.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 07:38:35 am by Demonic Spoon »

crash2455

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 18, 2010, 09:37:03 am »

Done.
Think you can brave the cold? How about endless waves of zombies, goblins, and orcs? Check out Talltower the Tall Tower of Ice.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 18, 2010, 01:08:16 pm »

Blugh. I've never tried any 40d# version before, and the interface file is different, so took a while to map the keys to work with what I'm used to. Well, now I can go up and down z-levels again (ed- blugh, or so I thought...). It's go-time. Two midterms tomorrow, though, so might not report back for a bit.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 01:14:53 pm by Retro »

crash2455

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 18, 2010, 01:11:43 pm »

Yeah, I've been playing around with 40d19, and everything is different in that one.  Well, at least init is different (there's like 4 files and you can enable shaders now).

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 18, 2010, 01:49:05 pm »

Yeah, I'm all sorted out now. Here's a pre-game update, and then I gotta get back to work.

---

1st Granite, 305; the dawn of a new era and the long-awaited spring~

Mesmerized, they all were. Well, of course they were! All such simple-minded buffoons. Hand the plebes a few drinks and they’d do anything you wanted. But not I.

Yes, they say a mysterious dwarf had given them their orders. Such a crude parlour trick – surely a turtle shell game of some sort. Well, I may not know who this mystic voice belonged to, but I know that he or she is gone now. And there is a void to step into, for one with such Direction. ‘Tis I, of course! Retro Slingtwilights, the artiste trapped in the middle of a frozen rubbish heap. Only a true engraver can envision the way forwards, the master of stone leading the way along the smoothened rocky face. Yes, I shall fill the void, and my artistic Direction shall take us ever higher. A tower, they say, must go up. No! Fools! A tower is a thing of beauty and magnificence – leave your damned ‘function’ and ‘practical purposes’ out of this! A thing of pure beauty cannot be befouled with such a pragmatic point of view.

I made my move in the new year – while the rabble took in their ale and slosh, I merely dipped into my wine. “You, all those of the Tower!” I spoke, addressing the masses. “Hear me now! We move forwards from this time of chaos and darkness and pledge onwards into light and order! We shall build Up once more, and with your aid I shall take us through our perils into a cornucopia of splendor and elegance! What say you? What say you?!

There was silence; echoing, hallowed, silence. All stared at me, awed into stillness. Then a dwarf raised his hand and asked, “Right, that’s just fine then, but d’you mind if we get pissed first?”

There was a cheer, and the party began anew. Interesting, I thought, how such fools can be so jolly through such simple pleasures. I shall retreat, then, to my chambers to plan ahead. Up we shall go, forever under the Tower.

I knocked my head against my ceiling, entering. For starters, this meager room shall have to go…

---

Hey, LegoLord, you never named a dwarf after yourself - who did you want? I know your dwarf was 'never there,' but still :P (the engraver's taken now >_>)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 02:19:46 pm by Retro »

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 18, 2010, 04:18:47 pm »

You can name the child (I think it's the only one in the fort)  Legon.  I think it's the kid that got hit by puppy that orc axe lord sent flying, so go ahead and give it the custom profession of "traumatized youth."

And so the dwarves of Talltower were saved from the insanity of their mysterious overlord overseer LegoLord. Surely their future will be free from such chaos! (ironic foreshadowing)
*cackles madly* "They'll not be freed so easily . . ."

LegoLord, what tileset are you using?
PTTGV5, by PTTG??
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

crash2455

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 18, 2010, 04:40:45 pm »

@Retro: After seeing the madness you pulled off in your own forts, this oughta be an interesting year (provided that everyone doesn't die).

@LegoLord: Ah, I might have to start using that tileset.  It looks pretty sweet.

There probably aren't a lot of children either because all the death makes people not want to have friends or because of the child restrictions I set on the game (3 babies and 10 children, as opposed to the standard 100 babies and 1000 children).

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 19, 2010, 02:40:17 am »

---

8th Granite, 305; upon which we efficiently dealt with our untimely visitors~

I stepped back from the embossed wall and admired my own considerably-impressive work. Yes, yes, it was perfect. Just… one last thing. I quickly pressed my fists into the wall and beat out one last image. There.

A clerk passed by in the hallway behind me; once the ruler of this tower, he had abandoned his post to manage the inner workings of the Tower. So be it. Let me hold the reins of power then; I shall not falter when you cross my steed’s mighty path.

“You there, O Spoony one!” I called out.

The dwarf turned to me, one eye twitching, and made some sort of half-giggle-half-grunt noise. I suppose that would have to do for a response. I’d heard the poor soul was mad.

“Aye, friend; prithee come here and examine this masterpiece. Fine, is it not?”

He doddling over and leaned in, sense fully taking in my art. Then: “Whassat s’posed to be, then?”

“What do you mean?”

“That big sloshy bit.”

“That’s an orc.”

“…That’s an orc?

I found myself growing brittle and rigid. “Indeed, simpleton! Fool! Low-minded bootshiner!” At this he tilted his head; ah, for I had struck with him a nerve! “Yea! you, with a beard of no un-unkempt matter! ‘Tis an orc, not that thee can witness, but observe! here, in the corner!”

“Eh?”

“Cheese, my good sir, cheese!”

“I—”

Cheese!

“Yeh, um, listen, right, about the elves.”

My eyes belied my aura of calmness and control. “The elves?” I asked, stonelike in my cool.

“Yeah, so they’re coming over down the mountainside now, n’ I’s just wondering what we got ready for

I scoffed, and turned back to my art. “I don’t have time to deal with such trivialties. Chasm them.”

The dwarf’s silence was enough to reveal his surprise. “Wot?” he asked. “Ye can’t chasm elves, you—”

“Bore me not. Chasm them.”

He tapped me on the shoulder rather arrogantly. “No, look, I don’t know what ye’re—”

I turned around an unleashed the brunt of my wrath upon him, much like a amass-ation of water behind a shoddily-constructed dam. “You, dwarf!” I shouted, voice tremoring with seething rage. “Do you wish to undertake the consequences of disobeying my actions? You dare to defy me? And you think I shall be accepting of your failure, of your misery, tripe, and ineffectualness in general?! Chasm the bloody elves else have ME to deal with!!”

---

26th Granite, in which we didst begin construction of the New and Glorious Tower~

Construction has begun; at last we again proceed Up. There has been reluctance, yes, but we are ready. Surely there too will be space enough for a grand hall of my own? We shall have to see, for it is known far and wide that I am certainly deserving. Afore that too we didst create a grand blockade of rock within our watery riviera; and in stemming it we have surely appeased the gods of Effpi-ess. But alack, alack, alack; back to my artwork. I cannot lose Direction now.

---

14th Slate, upon our Defenses did Blossom~

I order the construction of a twin depot, a gemini to our better-gemini. It is placed outside the walls in hopes that the elvenfolk shall alight there and draw off our enemies; it is good that they now serve a purpose.

Deeper yet within the entrance our barracks have carved themselves out of the wall, of so it would seem. Lor and Kogan, two slackers not worthy of Up, were enlisted into our army, now three dwarves strong. They proceed to spar, though armourless, and oft seem stronger for it. I saw it fit as Lord and Grand High Majesty of the Tower and The Up to majesticize the laneways as well. All visitors will tremble at the sight of cheese and circles!!!

We feared goats would raid us once more; in the early Slate they saw fit to loiter outside our hallowed Grounds and we could do naught but cancel our jobs eternally and flip the fuck out. Yet the bleating monstrosities did us a favour yet – tracking and eating the leg of a verminous kobold skumm! I begin to fear these theiving filth anew and order puppies to guard the entry hall.

---

19th Felsite, wherein Excitement occurs!! oh, be still mine Pulse~

We undertook the means to roof off the bridges that our beneathlands Tower enlists in crossing the mighty Rift; alas, the men are too fearful of the dark creatures within the chasm even upon fear of chasming and a small hole was left open in these defenses. As it were a ragged man-bat-thingy leapt onto the bridgeway and screeched hideously!! Earnestly I called to Kogan the mighty wrestler but it was over with rapid immediacy; a dog had om nom nom nom nom no more bat tee hee.

Yes, we do continue our work towards the great Direction of Up; I must keep my wits cool, even in the chill air. Without such artistic license I shall never drive us to the clouds above!! Even now I feel my hands itch, aching for a chisel, urging to… cheese. cheese. cheese. cheese.

My head is sore. I hear… I have been having a dream. The same one, every night… no. no. no. no. no. no.

enough.

no. cheese, only.

I return to my art. It is freedom. It is everything. It is. It. it. it. cheese.

---

Oh man, I am having fucking fun.

We seem to be pretty well-stocked supply-wise. The only real trouble I'm having with the fort is the endless amount of cancelled job spam. Even suspending jobs at the loom didn't help. And the dwarves constructing my grand, amourous floor seem to be afraid of the batmen in the chasm. I'm considering taking our sole marksdwarf and creating a tunnel/carved fortification system and clearing out the bastards.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 19, 2010, 09:59:47 am »

...my reckoning will come... (these boards really need a evil smiley)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 19, 2010, 03:02:08 pm »

Definitely enjoying the read so far.

...my reckoning will come... (these boards really need a evil smiley)
>:D
That good for ya?
Just so I remember

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 19, 2010, 04:02:42 pm »

Yeah. >:D

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 19, 2010, 11:05:41 pm »

Mostly done with the summer but having some serious job-cancel-spam issues that's slowing me down. Also, I can't seem to find the refuse stockpiles - well, I found one, but I can't seem to stop dwarves from running all the way across the map to grab the dead vermin and bring it back. Forbid-orders have been stepped up a level though.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16