Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16

Author Topic: Talltower 2 (Tower Fortress Succession Game)  (Read 24716 times)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: Talltower 2 (Tower Fortress Succession Game)
« Reply #135 on: March 09, 2010, 04:48:19 pm »

Download in progress.  It's taking awhile for some reason.  30 seconds ago it said "25 minutes left," now it says "33 minutes left."
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

crash2455

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 09, 2010, 04:59:20 pm »

The Dwarf Fortress File Directory sometimes suffers from extreme slowdowns (or goes down).
Think you can brave the cold? How about endless waves of zombies, goblins, and orcs? Check out Talltower the Tall Tower of Ice.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 09, 2010, 05:28:56 pm »

Yeah, now it says four hours.  I might just stop and try again later tonight.

Edit:  Got it.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 09:56:54 pm by LegoLord »
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 11, 2010, 07:39:05 am »

Progress?

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 11, 2010, 04:18:04 pm »

ADHD + DF - ADHDmedicine = slow.  Got my medicine today.  Things should go better.

Edit:  Significant progress!  First write up sometime tomorrow afternoon.

To clarify; It's running at 15-20 fps, but I can stay focused on it with me meds.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 08:27:23 pm by LegoLord »
Just so I remember

crash2455

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 12, 2010, 01:39:03 am »

15-20 fps?  I set this fort up to run fast.  Do we have some overstock or something?
Think you can brave the cold? How about endless waves of zombies, goblins, and orcs? Check out Talltower the Tall Tower of Ice.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 12, 2010, 07:12:36 am »

15-20 fps?  I set this fort up to run fast.  Do we have some overstock or something?

1.Chasm
2.Tons of elevation
3.Reletively "not small" map.
4.The UG river when its discovered.
5.Oh, and of course, tons of junk laying around because we dont have wood to build bins/barrels.
6.This might not effect it, but a large game world.

Welp, those are the reasons I think that are causing the lag.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 12, 2010, 09:10:01 am »

Demonic Spoon sketches a picture of a update.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 12, 2010, 09:16:49 am »

Demonic Spoon sketches a picture of a update.

Retro orders the military to stand by his workshop, just in case.

crash2455

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 12, 2010, 02:12:51 pm »

1.Chasm
4.The UG river when its discovered.
5.Oh, and of course, tons of junk laying around because we dont have wood to build bins/barrels.

Fair enough.  Maybe more the chasm than anything else.  I really didn't think the junk would affect the framerate too much, since the last game ran for about 12 turns and since most of it was a downward direction, we had about 2000 excess stone (with about 20k used in construction) and about 5000 unusable clothing (from sieges and the like).

2.Tons of elevation

We only have 1 extra Z-Level on the first game (which actually sorta surprised me, since I wasn't even looking for elevation in the first game), just more of it is elevated here.

This is a 3x3 map, which is smaller than Talltower 1's 4x4

6.This might not effect it, but a large game world.

I think that just makes world gen take a long time (and it did), but maybe there's something there.

Additionally, I dropped the baby/child cap and the pop cap by a lot, since the first game was killed by 200 dwarves.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 02:16:18 pm by crash2455 »

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 12, 2010, 04:05:29 pm »

This is a 3x3 map, which is smaller than Talltower 1's 4x4

Oh, it seemed reletively large when I had it. Also, I believe accesible Z-lvs are the problem, due to path finding, but thats just a guess.

Also, I hear many times every week about excess junk drops FPS, which probably also has to do with pathfinding.

But yah, its probably the chasm with all the creepy crawlies in it.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 12, 2010, 04:49:12 pm »

You guys really don't have anything to flood the chasm with? Not even a literal ice bolt flood? This is more than undwarvenly, this is...unelven.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 12, 2010, 05:37:01 pm »

I dunno, chasms have never really given me a slowdown before. Usually it's fluid motion or high numbers of critters that slow me down, and I'm used to playing on 6x6 mountain ranges. Hopefully I won't have the same issues.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 12, 2010, 10:49:15 pm »

Well we do have a large number of critters and fluid motion, so yeah.

Also, Undergrotto is epic and awesome, up there with Flarechannel and Cobberblazes.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 11:20:32 pm by Demonic Spoon »

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 12, 2010, 11:23:50 pm »

Incoming Spring!  Duck in cover!

A robed figure approached the blossoming fortress of Talltower the Tall Tower of Ice.  After completely ignoring the traps of the entrance, he happens upon a local.

“Who is in charge here?” the figure asks.

“Aach, noo one, last guy couldn’t tack th’ heht.  Went n’ vamoosed.  Still lookin’ fer a new ‘un.  But noo one wants ta deal wi’ this mess.  An’ the ole’r leaders are all feelin’ sick fer lack o’ booze er water.”  The dwarf responded.

“Indeed?  Well, look no further.  A new dwarf for the job has arrived.”  The figure strode forward confidently.  “I think I may know precisely where to look for water.  As for booze, I suspect I know the problem.  New fortress overseers frequently develop a booze problem in spite of plentiful food.”  The simple dwarf worker went on about his business, glancing after the strange new arrival periodically.

“Came a bit earlay fer the Spring migration.”  A thoughtful expression passed across his face.  “I dinna’ tell him we had a lotta food . . .”

1st Granite, Early Spring 304
   It was surprisingly easy to gain control of this fortress.  It’s incredibly unstable for a new fortress; no one here was willing to lead it.  Perfect for what I seek to do.  I was right about the booze problems - way too much farmland being used.  They had a 15x15 plot, all of which functioning at maximum capacity.  There were enough barrels for a tremendous fortress, it was just that there were so many plants and prepared meals that they were all full and unusable for booze.  Some stockpile phenangling straigtened things out.
   I also used a small spell to determine the location of an underground - and thus thawed - water source.  Nothing meant for such a purpose - just a roadway check and a visualization of one’s surroundings.  Not things intended for such a purpose, but far more effective than those that are.

9th
Seven dwarves have died of thirst so far.  Only dwarves of significance were a couple of guards.

13th Granite
One of the former leaders died today.  Some sort of part-time crash test dwarf, whatever that’s supposed to be.  Less for me to worry about, and the more my control can grow.

14th
The was an ambush of goblins, or possibly gawblins (what’s the difference between them anyway?).  They ran right into the cages.  Saps.

20th Granite
The underground river was found today.  As I predicted from a consult with the dead of this place, it was empty of any hostile creatures.  It will likely be tapped properly by tomorrow.

3rd Slate
Now that the drink supply is relatively stable, and that dwarves can now stay alive (barring incidents with the local undead), I honestly don’t care for the state of these dwarves.  I just need drones to construct my dwellings.  I would use a variation of orc, goblin, or undead, but dwarves are just better at building.  One day, they will have to go.  But that day will likely be a long way off.

Naturally, though, I don’t want to let this tantrum wave grow into a full spiral.  That would just make things worse.  There are still some tantrums, but the recent deaths have reduced the population to 34 dwarves.  In addition, there is likely to be a migrant wave soon, full of fresh drones with no acquaintances.  I should have little to do to keep them happy.

20th Slate
A dungeon master has arrived with a migrant wave.  He may provide some degree of usefulness whilst I work with these dwarves.  Some masons, soldiers, crafters, and cannon fodder peasants in need of buffing up for the military.  Something has to keep these things alive long enough to build the tower, and they’d get suspicious if greenskins came to guard them.

13th Felsite
A gemcutter has gone fey.  I predict either another useless perfect gem, or some article of furniture made almost entirely of gems.  No magic here, that’s just how moods with these guys normally go.  The dwarf quickly took over a workshop and began collecting materials.

15th Slate
The gemcutter successfully gathered a single gem.  Useless perfect gem it is, then.

18th Felsite
It appears I was mistaken.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
About as valuable as a perfect dendritic agate at 4800*, but more useful.  I might use it for my “chambers.”
Just so I remember
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16