Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16

Author Topic: Talltower 2 (Tower Fortress Succession Game)  (Read 24692 times)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: Talltower 2 (Tower Fortress Succession Game)
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2010, 01:47:57 am »

An artificial cieling won't flag tiles under it as underground, just as "inside".  It'll only melt if it's underground.  Once a tile is no longer underground, it will always be "above-ground".  hence the complex thing I explained.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

crash2455

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2010, 03:47:01 am »

"Edit" Im actually going on this quote, so im not too sure that means room temperature.

Also upped the melting point of ice, as ice armor would melt as soon as a dwarf equipped it.

I can't change the actual temperature at which ice melts as that is hardcoded.  I changed the temperature at which my ice melts.  You need to take the frozen water and put it in a smelter to turn it into "ice."

Also, I forgot to mention this before, but this map also has a chasm (full of zombies), and we may also be able to use that to our ice-casting advantage.
Think you can brave the cold? How about endless waves of zombies, goblins, and orcs? Check out Talltower the Tall Tower of Ice.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2010, 01:07:26 pm »

An artificial cieling won't flag tiles under it as underground, just as "inside".  It'll only melt if it's underground.  Once a tile is no longer underground, it will always be "above-ground".  hence the complex thing I explained.

Thanks for the information, but my method works fine with those things noted. It will make it "inside", meaning the water wont freeze, but when the bridge opens, its "outside" making it freeze. Maybe I should draw a horrible diagram...

Also, due to the ice problem, I suppose you could make the channel "area" larger, and have  the enlarge portion always uncovered, with smelters in that area. That way, the ice can be carried out of the river and straight to a smelter, where it will be turned into "ice" and can be stored as normal.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 02:50:43 pm by Orb »
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2010, 08:12:57 pm »

Thanks for the information, but my method works fine with those things noted. It will make it "inside", meaning the water wont freeze, but when the bridge opens, its "outside" making it freeze. Maybe I should draw a horrible diagram...
According to the wiki, if it's not in a subterranean (and there's no magma nearby) it will freeze.  Doesn't matter if it's inside or outside, if it's above ground it won't melt unless magma or fire is run by it.  A bridge won't make it subterranean again, and won't allow water to flow through without freezing.
I'm afraid this has been tried and tested many times before now, so I won't say anymore on the subject.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

crash2455

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2010, 02:43:57 am »

Okay, I think I need to spawn a new world (a less cold one).  10 days in and the cold has caused brain damage in a number of dwarves.  I'll see if I have any casualties.

Edit-- Okay, nevermind, it looks like we can do this.  We just have a bunch of dwarves with brain damage now.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 02:52:40 am by crash2455 »
Think you can brave the cold? How about endless waves of zombies, goblins, and orcs? Check out Talltower the Tall Tower of Ice.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2010, 07:07:02 am »

According to the wiki, if it's not in a subterranean (and there's no magma nearby) it will freeze.  Doesn't matter if it's inside or outside, if it's above ground it won't melt unless magma or fire is run by it.  A bridge won't make it subterranean again, and won't allow water to flow through without freezing.
I'm afraid this has been tried and tested many times before now, so I won't say anymore on the subject.

Im so stubborn at times. Yah, your right. I should have tested it before making stuff up. Everyone else can handle the pumping system, since I will probably ruin any kind of pumping system we have.

Also, that brain damage wont allow sparring, so we are either spamming marksdwarves or doing some overcomplicated traps. How much brain damage?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 07:08:33 am by Orb »
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2010, 07:35:04 am »

Edit-- Okay, nevermind, it looks like we can do this.  We just have a bunch of dwarves with brain damage now.

How are they different from normal dwarves in any way at all?  ;)

crash2455

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2010, 11:56:49 am »

They all just have grey injuries to their brains and necks.  It's gonna be interesting to see sieges play out here.  I wonder if attackers will even make it to our front door before freezing to death.

Also, on the note of brain damage, the dwarves will still decide to sleep outside, even if it means taking light injuries while doing so.

Samus1111111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2010, 07:22:38 pm »

well, looks like we're relying on marksdwarves if any sieges get to the fortress :D

plus, add me please ;)

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2010, 07:43:00 pm »

well, looks like we're relying on marksdwarves if any sieges get to the fortress :D

plus, add me please ;)

The only problem with that really is supplying the training materials. I suppose we have no wood in the area....perhaps a meat industry to supply bones is needed...

Also, can we make ice bolts? If we can, im going to go nuts on my turn with ice(metal) junk.  :)

crash2455

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2010, 08:14:36 pm »

You can make ice bolts.  You can make ice armor, ice weapons, and pretty much everyhting out of ice.  It's just a matter of how fast we find the underground river.  I kinda wish I had thought that out better, cuz a normal river and lava underneath would have given us access to a much better supply of water and ice.  Que cera cera.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2010, 08:25:52 pm »

Ah yes, Japa will have to get the water pumping system going. If not, then I will need some VERY good instructions, or the baton to build it goes to the next person.

Btw, I noticed you started on -1 floor. Is that the base floor, or are we still going with floor 0?

Also, since im too lazy to look at the raws, is ice equal to iron in protection/attacking?

CrimsonEon

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that Blood Thine or the Enemy's?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2010, 08:30:50 pm »

Assuming this Ice Mod isn't too hard to mod in, I'd like to take the next turn available, I need something to keep me occupied till the new version  :)

crash2455

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2010, 08:33:03 pm »

Btw, I noticed you started on -1 floor. Is that the base floor, or are we still going with floor 0?

For this map, I'm defining Floor 0 as the floor where the wagon started.  That floor was crazy high up.  If you use the F1 hotkey, you will find that floor.  The community floor is like floor -7.  I will mark the community floor with a hotkey as well.

Also, since im too lazy to look at the raws, is ice equal to iron in protection/attacking?
Ice is 20% strength of iron.  I mean, it's ice.

Assuming this Ice Mod isn't too hard to mod in, I'd like to take the next turn available, I need something to keep me occupied till the new version  :)

I modded in extra goblins and orcs too, so I won't just be passing the save, I'll be passing the whole game.  Also, you've been added.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 09:04:30 pm by crash2455 »

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2010, 12:58:14 am »

Noticed the DFMA map was up and got a question about it - if 'ground zero' is towards the top of the mountain, won't we only have a little over fifteen floors to build up? Or does that little bit of mountain in the corener extend up a ways?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16