Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A different way to add sand to all maps (never mind :( )  (Read 2222 times)

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
A different way to add sand to all maps (never mind :( )
« on: February 20, 2010, 02:53:06 pm »

Changing every soil type to be a sand (other than peat and clay, because those would make no sense) really bugs me, since it causes the soils to behave like sand in other ways, too.  So instead, here's an option I've yet to see anyone come up with:

Code: [Select]
See first post on 2nd page.
The only downside is that sand inclusions are treated like rocks for some reason (except they never leave a stone due to SOIL_SAND).  They're slower to mine, you get a "rough-hewn sand wall," and farm plots can't be designated without muddying first.  Adding [SOIL] doesn't help.  I guess having an [ENVIRONMENT] token prevents a rock from ever being a "true" soil.  But sand collection works, at least, and that's the important part.

Update: It don't work.  At least, not as intended.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 05:37:28 pm by Arrkhal »
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
Re: A different way to add sand to all maps
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 07:51:33 pm »

Good job thar. That'll make a lot of people happy.

Offtopic: Am I the only person who would like a big stickied thread for all these little mods that add only a couple of things?
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

CaptApollo12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 08:07:46 pm »

So this will add sand in with the rock layers? Like every 1600 rock chunks?
"MONTARON!  You are so AGGRAVATING!   'Tis disturbing to my demeanor..."

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 08:29:36 pm »

So this will add sand in with the rock layers? Like every 1600 rock chunks?

No, it'll add small infertile (unplantable without irrigation) sand inclusions in all soil layers--silty clay, sandy loam, etc.  Including regular sand, though you will be able to tell the difference since the ground tile will be different, and revealed walls will say "rough-hewn sand wall" rather than simply "sand wall."  Still, hm, maybe the color should be a bit different.

You can expect about 6-10 small clusters of sand in every 48x48 tile section (48x48 tile things are represented as 1 tile on the embark map, at the far left).  I've been playtesting it, and the sand inclusions are common enough that you don't have to search much, but rare enough to be easy to avoid when digging out a spot for a farm plot.

The density means density in a material sense.  1600 means 1 cubic meter of sand weighs 1600 kilograms.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 08:34:14 pm by Arrkhal »
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 09:06:06 pm »

This is brilliant, thank you. *Steals* May mod it, or another stone like it, to spawn in Sandstone, Flint/Chert and maybe quartzite (which have all been used to make glass, though they need to be crushed first).

Adding the [GLASS] token from rock crystal to stone does not generate an error in the errorlog.txt (nor does adding the [SHARP] token to certain gems), this would allow other sources of Crystal glass. I've not done testing to check if either works correctly.

smokingwreckage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 10:33:25 pm »

Where does that code go?

DrD_AVEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent jeweler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 05:29:13 am »

To get small sand inclusions in underground layers we shall insert this code:
[MATGLOSS_STONE:SAND_INCLUSION]
[NAME:sand][COLOR:6:4:1][TILE:176]
[ENVIRONMENT:SOIL:CLUSTER_SMALL:100]
[SOIL_SAND]
[SOLID_DENSITY:1600]
in this file: \raw\objects\matgloss_stone_soil.txt

and generate new world?

Am I right? Or something wrong?

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 12:26:59 pm »

Yep, that will do it.  Or, if you want to keep mods compartmentalized, you could create a file called

matgloss_sand_mod.txt
Which contains

matgloss_sand_mod

[OBJECT:MATGLOSS]

[MATGLOSS_STONE:SAND_INCLUSION]
[NAME:sand][COLOR:6:4:0][TILE:176]
[ENVIRONMENT:SOIL:CLUSTER_SMALL:100]
[SOIL_SAND]
[SOLID_DENSITY:1600]

And that's the whole file.

---

This is brilliant, thank you. *Steals* May mod it, or another stone like it, to spawn in Sandstone, Flint/Chert and maybe quartzite (which have all been used to make glass, though they need to be crushed first).

That may be a good idea, too.  Let's see, all of the above layer stones can only contain small clusters of saltpeter and petrified wood, and some ornamental and semi-precious gems.  Except quartzite can have graphite, rutile, and hornblende.

The game does tend to make only one type of small cluster throughout the map, though, so sand inclusions would likely cut into your low-value gem supply.

Hopefully, a future version will be more realistic about glass production, and allow the use of high-silica silts and loams and rocks.  And the creation of crystal glass out of any silica source, since it's just a matter of purity and heat treatment.

Adding the [GLASS] token from rock crystal to stone does not generate an error in the errorlog.txt (nor does adding the [SHARP] token to certain gems), this would allow other sources of Crystal glass. I've not done testing to check if either works correctly.

I've tried both of those.  Flint and chert spears worked fine, and [GLASS] on the various colored quartzes also worked.  But I eventually changed it back to clear quartz only, and just made it more common, with:

[ENVIRONMENT:ALL_STONE:CLUSTER_ONE:100]
There are no cluster_ones in vanilla, so that token tends to make them show up absolutely everywhere.

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 08:30:33 pm »

I used different environment tokens to have it spawn in only non-sand soils. For those that want it setup like that just cut these and replace [ENVIRONMENT:SOIL:CLUSTER_SMALL:100].

[ENVIRONMENT_SPEC:CLAY:CLUSTER_SMALL:100]
[ENVIRONMENT_SPEC:CLAY_LOAM:CLUSTER_SMALL:100]
[ENVIRONMENT_SPEC:LOAM:CLUSTER_SMALL:100]
[ENVIRONMENT_SPEC:LOAMY_SAND:CLUSTER_SMALL:100]
[ENVIRONMENT_SPEC:PEAT:CLUSTER_SMALL:100]
[ENVIRONMENT_SPEC:SANDY_CLAY:CLUSTER_SMALL:100]
[ENVIRONMENT_SPEC:SANDY_CLAY_LOAM:CLUSTER_SMALL:100]
[ENVIRONMENT_SPEC:SANDY_LOAM:CLUSTER_SMALL:100]
[ENVIRONMENT_SPEC:SILT:CLUSTER_SMALL:100]
[ENVIRONMENT_SPEC:SILTY_CLAY:CLUSTER_SMALL:100]
[ENVIRONMENT_SPEC:SILTY_CLAY_LOAM:CLUSTER_SMALL:100]
[ENVIRONMENT_SPEC:SILT_LOAM:CLUSTER_SMALL:100]

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 08:34:18 pm »

Changing every soil type to be a sand (other than peat and clay, because those would make no sense) really bugs me, since it causes the soils to behave like sand in other ways, too.

I'm curious: What "other ways" are there? I've never noticed sand acting differently from regular soil except for that.

Wait, do you mean that it shows up in sand deserts and beaches more often? I guess that makes sense.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 08:57:58 pm »

Well I've had a Clay Desert before (very early in my thoughts on adding pottery to the game I made clay a [SAND] soil, decided that clay deserts were just plain wrong and found a better way to do it).

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2010, 01:39:21 am »

when I put a activity zone over a dug out area of this sand inclusion, it indicates "Sand Collection (0)"

what's up with this?

EDIT: I tried collecting sand bags from this sand, but no dice :(
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 04:34:00 am by Odd!x »
We are who we are, depending on who we were.

Dude_Jebawe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2010, 03:44:18 am »

Vanilla sand layers have both [SOIL] and [SOIL_SAND], and your sand inclusions only have [SOIL_SAND]. Maybe that's why it's treated like rock?

shadowsofwhite

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:moustache] Steam ID: TheHengeProphet
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2010, 06:12:29 am »

Well I've had a Clay Desert before (very early in my thoughts on adding pottery to the game I made clay a [SAND] soil, decided that clay deserts were just plain wrong and found a better way to do it).

Clay deserts are not uncommon; however, they go by another name: badlands. This name makes them no less a desert, much as arctic and antarctic regions that are entirely (and consistantly) covered in ice are considered a form of desert (not all deserts need be hot, and ice is only wet when warm).

I like the idea of pottery, which means I only hope it comes in the next version.

This is a good little mod for adding sand everywhere, though I will likely never get around to testing it.
Dev-status:
Drakelings: Dev halted indefinitely.
Illithids: Dev halted indefinitely.

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2010, 12:47:14 pm »

I like the idea of pottery, which means I only hope it comes in the next version.

Pottery is easy, though it is a hackish work around (I'm working on it as we speak, it isn't done yet so I'm not going to post it). Basically you have 5 types of ceramics, make a reaction or two for each type and have it produce a stone of each type. Have each type of stone be Environmentless so it does not spawn on maps. Craft stone as usual.
Pseudo-reactions
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: [1] 2