Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: A different way to add sand to all maps (never mind :( )  (Read 2218 times)

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
Re: A different way to add sand to all maps
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2010, 04:58:37 pm »

I'm curious: What "other ways" are there? I've never noticed sand acting differently from regular soil except for that.

Wait, do you mean that it shows up in sand deserts and beaches more often? I guess that makes sense.

Mainly, the tile for sand floors is ~ instead of the usual, and dirt roads erode much faster (not that it matters, since roads are no longer critical).  Just the tile is enough to bug me.

----

when I put a activity zone over a dug out area of this sand inclusion, it indicates "Sand Collection (0)"

what's up with this?

EDIT: I tried collecting sand bags from this sand, but no dice

That's odd.  Let me retest.  What the heck?  I could have sworn it used to work, during my initial test phase.

So much for that.  Argh!

-----

Vanilla sand layers have both [SOIL] and [SOIL_SAND], and your sand inclusions only have [SOIL_SAND]. Maybe that's why it's treated like rock?

I tried having both tags, and it didn't change anything.

And now the latest test seems to indicate that having any [ENVIRONMENT:] token prevents the use of SOIL_SAND from being used for sand at all.  Poop. :( I was positive it worked the first time, though.  That's a pretty dumb mistake.

Hm, I just got a "you have stuck sand" message while re-re testing.  That never happened during the initial test.  I must have done something differently.  Modding is tougher than it looks.

-------------

Okay, I think I figured it out.  Damn bizarre, too!

If you embark on a map with another source of sand, sand inclusions will be a valid sand source.  If your map contains no other sand, it won't be.  That's really really weird, and, unfortunately, makes the mod useless.  :( :( :(

As you can see, there's 2 tiles of regular old sand north of 3 tiles of "weird sand."

All 3 tiles of "weird sand" are valid for sand collection.

We abandon, then re-embark here.

4 tiles of "weird sand..."

...none of which are valid for sand collection duty.  :(
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 05:34:13 pm by Arrkhal »
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: A different way to add sand to all maps
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2010, 05:35:35 pm »

at least I know why my sand doesn't work now :(

I'm gonna rename it 'bad sand' and get on with my life in the fortress, and possibly smooth the bad sand for kicks.
We are who we are, depending on who we were.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
Re: A different way to add sand to all maps (never mind :( )
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2010, 05:50:39 pm »

Well, ha.
I already did exactly this and found this exact result accidentally.
Nobody had said anything about it, and I didn't think of it when I saw this topic.  But anyways...
I had named it bad earth (in a reference to my avatar) but this just makes the name fit so well...
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries
Pages: 1 [2]