Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Using DF in school, part two.  (Read 5196 times)

carebear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Using DF in school, part two.
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2010, 01:55:32 pm »

This is awesome.  ;D

You should bring a camera to class and make a few pics/vids of them playing it. Cute.  :D

Are you getting any remarks from other teachers? Have they seen it? I figure it's quite an interesting topic to talk about over lunch.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 01:57:43 pm by carebear »

Rathen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2010, 02:23:26 pm »

Since joining my school, they've always encouraged me to try new things for different areas. We did a day using Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 - they had to plan the park using squared grids (mapreading), cost it ALL (even down to individual paths which meant massive calculations needed) and then got to build the rides. The people that made the most money won. That was rather wonderful.

Then there was a time we used Sim City 3000 to look at how pollution can make people move from areas. That was awesome.

I love my job.

I won't be taking pictures of them doing the work; that would be a whole new can of worms - but I'll take some shots of DF running on my big interactive whiteboard!

carebear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2010, 03:33:56 pm »

I won't be taking pictures of them doing the work; that would be a whole new can of worms - but I'll take some shots of DF running on my big interactive whiteboard!
Yeah I guessed so. :P

Either way your school sounds awesome!

Julius Clonkus

• Bay Watcher
  • [NIGHTMARE_FETISHIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2010, 04:32:06 pm »

Well, you could show the results (read: amounts of acquired Fun) when the whole project is complete. Because that project sounds interesting as hell.

And it'll be funny when some of your students find your two threads after some time and stare at you weirdly. Heh.
Holy schist, this thread is mica me sick.
DF Players never truly leave.  They just abandon the fortress for a few years and then reclaim.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2010, 05:34:52 pm »

Yes, let's keep bumping them infinitely in case they show up.

Be sure to add descriptive links to your signatures as well so that we can be sure to get their attention when they show up!
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2010, 10:11:17 pm »

Since joining my school, they've always encouraged me to try new things for different areas. We did a day using Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 - they had to plan the park using squared grids (mapreading), cost it ALL (even down to individual paths which meant massive calculations needed) and then got to build the rides. The people that made the most money won. That was rather wonderful.

Then there was a time we used Sim City 3000 to look at how pollution can make people move from areas. That was awesome.

I love my job.

Wow... You're an inspiration to the teaching field. For once a teacher that utilises the vast amount of technology at his finger tips! How old did you say these kids were?
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Rathen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2010, 11:24:29 am »

How old did you say these kids were?

8/9 years old :)

Today's update!

A shorter session today, but it was pretty good all the same. I was amazed to see them get straight to work setting people with new jobs to make up for losses. Pretty much every group has lost their starting hunter, so they're having to adapt. It's very interesting how many of them built an extra big farm and noted in their writeup that "they are desperately hoping that the farm won't fail". This is having the desired effect, it's great. They're realising the trials and tribulations that original settlers would have in areas.

Today was the last time I was showing them how to do anything - they now know how to create workshops, build walls, assign jobs etc. For the purposes of this work that is enough knowledge. Tomorrow I'll be letting them go wild. I know one group wants to dig into the nearby mountain, others want to build up a wall around the outside.

Some choice quotes:

"Our hunter keeps getting hit by a horse and that makes him unconscious".

"The hunter must be tired after catching 21 animals!"

"A bit later the butcher was getting grumpy and was complaining to the carpenter. "I will not sleep on the floor, I need some beds!" she shouted. "Ok", the carpenter said, "Come and help me build them.""

"One of the wild horses died which is good because they are bad!"

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2010, 01:15:27 pm »

This is beyond awesome. We have all encountered the evil benign wildlife. did they make the roofs out of floors or did any of them figure out they could use the "Bridge" to save on lumber?

This reminds me of when we were doing this type of lesson in elementary school. we used Oregon trail though. and Mike kept dieing of dysentery.

Rathen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2010, 01:56:44 pm »

This is beyond awesome. We have all encountered the evil benign wildlife. did they make the roofs out of floors or did any of them figure out they could use the "Bridge" to save on lumber?

whatttttttttttttttttt

what is this

you are JOKING?!

(but yes we used floors because jesus christ you can use bridges for roofs?)

Vicomt

• Bay Watcher
  • Just call me Vic.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2010, 02:08:45 pm »

I bet one of them will figure it out ;)

seriously*, where is your school, and how can I get my son enrolled? I wish I'd had teachers as engaging and interesting as you.

*not seriously really, but the sentiment applies  ;)

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2010, 11:44:37 pm »

whatttttttttttttttttt

what is this

you are JOKING?!

(but yes we used floors because jesus christ you can use bridges for roofs?)

I tend to think of it as making a thached roof, the space under a bridge is considered indoors, so it functions the same as a floor. you just cant put a chair on your roof when you use a bridge.
Pages: 1 2 [3]