Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 55

Author Topic: The Great Tower: A Dungeon Adventure  (Read 39333 times)

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
Re: The Great Tower: A Dungeon Adventure
« Reply #510 on: May 13, 2010, 03:28:37 pm »

Ah, I think I get it now.. so instead of slow, you'd lump speed + void and haste would be speed + expansion... something along those lines.
Haste is speed and slow is separate. Glyph of Gravity is already mentioned and exists.

Here's some info about the wizard orders if forgot to include:

The highest-ordered glyphs are L7 glyphs, and quite conveniently wizards order themselves in 7 orders, the seventh being, naturally, the highest (at least where you're from). Each order studies glyphs up to their own level. And so, a powerful but relatively low-ranking wizard's first priority would probably be to get himself placed on a higher order. There are 7 wizards of the 7th order, 70 of the 6th order, 700 of the 5th, 7000 of the 4th, and the same amount for the 3rd, 2nd and 1st (meaning there are 35777 wizards in all the 7 orders). There are 7 chapters, each with the aforementioned 7 orders within them (so 250439 wizards in total, excluding rogue wizards, unordered wizards, expelled wizards and non-glyph based wizards, the last of which don't exist in your home reality/plane). It is similar in this way and others  to the hierarchy of the Discworld wizards.

To advance an order, one has to proceed up the ladder full of other order members.  Whenever free spots opens up in an order, the highest ranking wizard on the order below is brought up, then the next, and so forth. This will naturally open up more spots in the order those wizards came from, so wizards from the order next in ranking are brought up and etc.

Ranking within an order is initially determined by seniority (if, say, your friend graduates from apprenticeship just before you did, he'll start out as a higher-ranked first order wizard because he came first), then can be raised by things such as grades in theory, tournaments, practice performances, duels with other members, success in extracurricular activities, favours done for the Chapter and Order (each order is led by the highest ranking wizard, so it pays off to work up even though you don't get elevated), leadership ability, recommendations, talent, bribes (unofficial; it's all very hush-hush), recovery of artifacts, magical research, invention, innovation withing the field and so forth. You can also have your rank lowered, if your work isn't up to par or your behaviour is bad. You can even be demoted an entire Order down in ranking, at which point you are forbidden from using any higher-ordered glyphs until you advance again.

However, these things will only elevate you when there are not free spots (it's like a leaderboard; if your score is high enough, you will be pushed up and others will be pushed down). If a place suddenly happens to open up, say, immediately above you, you will be raised no questions asked (justice is separate, and it usually goes "advance first, reprimand later"). Because of this, there's a lot of politics involved, and assassination is frequently the preferred method of advancement for many students and wizards, especially as you go higher up, where it becomes harder to "prove your worth" and your superiors suddenly become your colleagues.

In the 7th order it becomes a little different however, as they have no superiors to turn to for advancement. It's generally a stalemate among the 7 wizards, and politics move slowly there (as wizards that high up are usually good at surviving, and assassination becomes harder). They are, unfortunately, generally seen as petty, squabbling crusty old farts (or at least until the old farts release hellish armageddon and LAZORS OF DOOOOOOM upon them).
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 03:33:21 pm by lordnincompoop »

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: May 13, 2010, 05:21:20 pm »

glyph of pherhelion
glyph of ecoregion
glyph of acordion
*glyph of quaternion
glyph of scallion
glyph of fermion
glyph of allerion
glyph of mullion
glyph of medallion
glyph of prion
glyph of octanion
glyph of pion
glyph of scorpion
glyph of carbanion
*glyph of fashion
glyph of paration
glyph of centaurion
glyph of triskelion
glyph of cesarion
glyph of glochidion
glyph of talion
glyph of million
glyph of gwydion
glyph of acromion
*glyph of region
glyph of chorion
*glyph of entropion
glyph of hellion
glyph of triodion
glyph of vermillion
glyph of amnion
glyph of biquarternion
Armok, I am now quite certain none of these make any sense as runes. I also don't think all of them mean something at all... Where did you copy-paste this from? Anyway:
> Know the darkness is but a veil.
> Slice through the darkness.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: May 13, 2010, 05:23:50 pm »

wait, do I see a glyph of fashion in that list?
Fabulous!
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: May 13, 2010, 06:51:39 pm »

wait, do I see a glyph of fashion in that list?
Fabulous!
Yup! ;D
THat shuld totaly make it in.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: May 13, 2010, 06:55:43 pm »

>Use glyph of fashion on bandits. Neckerchiefs are so last week.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: May 14, 2010, 03:02:46 am »

> EAT nothing

There is nothing to be eaten.

> Know the darkness is but a veil.

You focus on knowing that the darkness is a veil, and eventually you convince yourself that it is so.

> Slice through the darkness.

As it turns out, the darkness wasn't really a veil after all, and you might as well be trying to slice the air with a spoon. You are disappointed.

> Use glyph of fashion on bandits. Neckerchiefs are so last week.

There are no bandits, and you do not possess the knowledge for a Glyph of Fashion. Additionally, the bandits never wore any neckerchiefs of any kind.

> Cast a glyph of invisibility on self, to ensure safety.

You can't move or do anything except think, unfortunately. You fail.

> Try to sense something in the darkness.

You try to sense something, but you can't. The void is completely empty, like a void should be. You are pretty much under total sensory isolation. You feel, smell, see, taste and hear nothing whatsoever.

((More will come as I figure out the details of what will happen next. Feel free to discuss what is happening.))

maxicaxi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why? I have no idea.
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: May 14, 2010, 03:08:36 am »

use the last glyph also rename self to Garrett XD
I have absolutely no idea what's going on in this fort any more. Migrants arrive, they die for some reason, the fort is flooded for another reason, then dwarves go mad, more dwarves die and I'm just laughing in my distress.
you cannot defeat the potato.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: May 14, 2010, 04:32:19 am »

I think we overstepped our bounds. I am the first to admit that we did use the Voice of DOOOM too much. But then again, this could be a good thing. Maybe an Eldritch Being from Beyond the Stars will see us as some form of perverted entertainment and let us live in exchange for slaughtering shit.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: May 14, 2010, 06:28:43 am »

I think we overstepped our bounds. I am the first to admit that we did use the Voice of DOOOM too much. But then again, this could be a good thing. Maybe an Eldritch Being from Beyond the Stars will see us as some form of perverted entertainment and let us live in exchange for slaughtering shit.
well we certainly do that.
Thou art I, I art Thou.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: May 14, 2010, 09:55:20 am »

Well, that shoots down my theory that the void is actually us losing our 5-senses due to some interaction with the magic and our brain functions and that we could somehow adapt...

Which makes me wonder if magic will work by pure thought... instead of using the physical glyphs, we could attempt to think of spells that could work.

The "scary part" is how do we know we aren't being manipulated in real life as a sock puppet of some type by the remaining rebels.  I assume we are still there, but can't tell what is going on outside our normal brain functions of thought.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: May 14, 2010, 02:48:26 pm »

Well, that shoots down my theory that the void is actually us losing our 5-senses due to some interaction with the magic and our brain functions and that we could somehow adapt...

Which makes me wonder if magic will work by pure thought... instead of using the physical glyphs, we could attempt to think of spells that could work.

The "scary part" is how do we know we aren't being manipulated in real life as a sock puppet of some type by the remaining rebels.  I assume we are still there, but can't tell what is going on outside our normal brain functions of thought.

Sorry for confusing you: Glyphs are not physical. They are a mixture of diagrams, symbols, trains of thought, emotion, magic etc. This is how you can use them when bound, gagged, paralyzed and so forth, although he gestures and words certainly do help.

It's not so much memorising symbols and methods from a textbook; you get a basis and guide, then go from there and interpret it into something that works for you. And so, all glyphs look slightly different and one can't simply "copy" someone else's glyph on the spot.

While activated, they can sometimes manifest as glowing symbols made of light amongst other things.

Please be aware that magic is never free, and just because you don't see the consequences now doesn't mean that there are none. Because there will be, and when they come they will often be more than you can handle.

And sorry for the delay. I was in the cinema watching Iron Man 2.  8)

maxicaxi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why? I have no idea.
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: May 14, 2010, 02:57:00 pm »

so.......  any changes
I have absolutely no idea what's going on in this fort any more. Migrants arrive, they die for some reason, the fort is flooded for another reason, then dwarves go mad, more dwarves die and I'm just laughing in my distress.
you cannot defeat the potato.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: May 14, 2010, 03:08:04 pm »

>wait.
Thou art I, I art Thou.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: May 14, 2010, 03:27:59 pm »

Sorry for confusing you: Glyphs are not physical. They are a mixture of diagrams, symbols, trains of thought, emotion, magic etc. This is how you can use them when bound, gagged, paralyzed and so forth, although he gestures and words certainly do help.

It's not so much memorising symbols and methods from a textbook; you get a basis and guide, then go from there and interpret it into something that works for you. And so, all glyphs look slightly different and one can't simply "copy" someone else's glyph on the spot.

While activated, they can sometimes manifest as glowing symbols made of light amongst other things.
> Cast a glyph of invisibility on self, to ensure safety.

You can't move or do anything except think, unfortunately. You fail.
So how could this fail then?  I'm confused.

Edit: Also, on a scale of 100, how was the movie?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 03:51:42 pm by Andir »
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: May 14, 2010, 03:31:56 pm »

And sorry for the delay. I was in the cinema watching Iron Man 2.  8)

No way, I've just come back from watching that, hehe, was funny.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 55