Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Skills Diversity (and other things)  (Read 2644 times)

Kilo24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Skills Diversity (and other things)
« on: February 19, 2010, 04:02:48 am »

Currently, the Dwarf Fortress skills system is flawed.  This thread is meant to be a discussion, and hopefully a compendium of a number of fundamental issues with the skills system, as well as suggestions for remedying them.

Note that some of the suggestions would be mutually exclusive - this thread is meant to explore multiple options.

Problems as I see them are in red, and potential solutions in blue.  Extra suggestions in orange.

I'll keep the compendium updated with further problems/solutions if there's a significant response.

Better Skills through Grinding
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Goal-Based Skill Uses

Diminishing Returns for Similar Actions

Hybrid Anti-Grinding System

Too Specific Skills

Interlinked Skills

General Skills

Seeing Skills Before Using Them

Favorite Tags
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 02:52:29 pm by Kilo24 »

teloft

• Bay Watcher
  • We found the zirilid stream
    • View Profile
Re: Skills Diversity (and other things)
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 04:29:11 am »

Better Skills through Grinding: The same basic problem shared by Morrowind and Oblivion.

Here is one idea,  for the basic use of skills.

1st. To see.

2nd. To learn.

3rd. To try.

4th. To reflect.

5th, and so on...
--

and for the generic skills tags on the skills, where one can train up his generic skill tag for a group of skills by traing a skill, I like this.  I like this even more or each skill has more then one generic skill tag.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 07:03:51 pm by teloft »
We found the zirilid stream

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 11:36:59 am »

I like the idea of interconnected skills. However, instead of, for example, a skill increase in Woodcrafting also giving a skill increase in Bowery, what about a "bonus" to the speed it takes to learn the other skills? The more you do one thing in the category (Combat, Woodworking, Stoneworking, etc.), the faster your levels raise in relevant skills. So that, for example, instead of having to work x minutes on woodcrafting for a skill increase, you have to work only x-10% of the time.
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

Kilo24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 02:41:40 pm »

I like the idea of interconnected skills. However, instead of, for example, a skill increase in Woodcrafting also giving a skill increase in Bowery, what about a "bonus" to the speed it takes to learn the other skills? The more you do one thing in the category (Combat, Woodworking, Stoneworking, etc.), the faster your levels raise in relevant skills. So that, for example, instead of having to work x minutes on woodcrafting for a skill increase, you have to work only x-10% of the time.
That would be an interesting tradeoff than the current idea of interconnected skills as portrayed in the OP, because it would eliminate the uneven attribute gains problem.    But you are playing with the skill level requirements, which are good to keep static unless you have to.  Instead, maybe having an experience multiplier when you have a interlinked skill at a certain level, like competent being +10% (higher levels giving higher bonuses), that increases the amount of experience when taking an action? 

Better Skills through Grinding: The same basic problem shared by Morrowind and Oblivion.

Here is one idea,  for the basic use of skills.

1st. To see. The culture where the adveturer is must know the skill, and as the adventurer is exposed to the skill in this new culture, he gets an idea of the skill, he can now use the skill ineffectively and can seek training.  is he dose not seek the training he can try to figure it out for him selfe.  Sometimes some "demon" may teach "a kobolt" some new skill and thus it can start to spread in the world. this could give the skil the tag [Has seen it], like an untraind sheald user that has only seen a sheald be used is not wery efective in using it in combat.

2nd. To learn. The adventure/dwarf must seek training, and the skill is marked as [has had training], some skills are automaticly marked like this based on the culture he is a member of. This sould give the possibility to use the skill efectively.

3rd. To try. Now if the cahracter uses the skill in a dangerous situation, the skill gets the merk [hardend], as to signify that the skill has been used in a dangerous situation. While this applyes mostly to combat and stress skilles, an equalient can be found for civil skills. This sould give selfe confidense regarding the skill in question.

4th. To reflect. Now the caracter has already BEN TRYED in the use of this skilled, he takes some time to reflect upon the skill use, now he has the option of making some art work, like making a image (or simply by comissoning, having the an engraver make a nice image, where he is using the skill in the dangerous situation). This skill is marked [reflected]

and so on...
1st:  Requiring a skill to be seen before it can be attempted is a decent notion.  I would suggest that some elements wouldn't need that if you had the physical object required for it (a smart dwarf could figure out what an axe was meant for by comparing it to a sword which he's seen, but it's unlikely anyone without a decent understanding of metallurgy would figure out how to smith metal.)  This would lessen the intensity of the civilization skill restrictions which I do like very much.

2. I've never been fond of requiring training for skills.  That basically means that no one ever has the ability to invent a skill under the skill system, and that they can't learn it on their own.  Surviving out in the wilderness would be literally impossible for an untrained person, not merely very hard.  It complicates the system and really only succeed in making teachers important (teachers are important, but I personally think they should just give experience in the skill - that model works well enough.)  Additionally, it becomes very frustrating as an adventurer to roam the world looking for someone to teach you how to even use a skill that you know you want to learn.
  One unique skill system that I've seen that incorporates teaching is Arcanum's.  The way they handle it is that you can level up a skill to max normally, but teaching requires a certain level in the skill first, and gives you a unique bonus that you can't get otherwise.  There are 3 levels to teaching in a skill (Apprentice, Expert, and Master), the first and second require money, the third requires a specific quest to get training.  This wouldn't work too well in Dwarf Fortress as is, because requiring a specific, customized quest for a specific skill from a player is problematic in a procedurally generated world, and there are so many skills that finding several unique bonuses for each of them will be difficult.

3.  This meshes with goal-based experience, and shares a few of its problems too. 

4. I think that the game goes too quickly to make the [reflected] tag a significant matter.  In Fortress mode, the speed at which time passes means that they should have time to reflect on a skill pretty much right after they take it (or they spend weeks/months on a job but learn nothing until they fall asleep); in Adventure mode it's just an annoyance of being forced to fall asleep/take a rest to level up.

As far as these tags are concerned, I'm not sure whether you mean that they need to happen for the skill to be learned in the first place, or they make it easier to learn, or what.  Could you clarify that for me?

With the exception of requiring skills to be seen before use, I think that these could still work pretty well in the game by giving experience instead of giving a tag. 

and for the generic skills tags on the skills, where one can train up his generic skill tag for a group of skills by traing a skill, I like this.  I like this even more or each skill has more then one generic skill tag.
That's kind of how the Interlinked Skills work with the General Skills, as an option I mentioned under general skills.

or there can also be some favorit tag for some skills,
tels say that skill D has favorit tag #4 and it has the skill favord by five times, thus it uses the tag #4 five times while taking the average.

Skill D, has tags #2, #3, #4 and values the tag #4 five times as much.

D = (untraind + 2 + 1 + 0*5) /8

Hmm... about favoriting skills, I don't think that the Toady One wants to require skill leveling to have user input like that outside of adventurer character creation.  Additionally, unless you have a way to change them around after character creation, the only advantage you've gotten is that one person learns some skills slower than other ones, which discourages him from ever learning new ones should his life take an unexpected turn.  I'd also like to say that the personality models should eventually interfere/augment skill learning (it's easier for a patient dwarf to be a bookkeeper.)  I'll put it up there, but I'm personally not that fond of the idea.

To be the devil's advocate, it does model that some people do have an innate knack for a skill (which the current system really doesn't), and if the knack was determined randomly it would encourage rerolling an adventurer repeatedly until you find one with the favorite tags you want.  It also creates a minigame with dwarf migrants on checking favorite skill tags in addition to checking skills, which I'd consider a turn-off (but some people might enjoy).

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 04:19:00 am »

Having subskills against specific enemies or with specific materials would also work. A person with both woodcrafting and carpentry trained would have a higher material skill cap, resulting in a higher effective skill for both labors

snus-mumrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 02:48:56 pm »

Hi
disclaimer: I suppose that such ideas were already suggested but I don't know where and how

Grinding seems to have a simple solution: give each task a difficulty level (maybe equal to chance of success), and give experience based an difficulty and current skill. If a novice thrower throws a stone to an empty place several steps away, he will have some experience; but if a legendary thrower does the same he will get none.
This can also be combined with the result of the action. For unskilled person succeeds in a really difficult action than he gets xp and if he fails he gets none (he didn't know how to do it and he didn't do it - he learned nothing). Similarly if a skilled person fails in a simple task he will get xp cause he would understand that he does something wrong. And doing a task that fits your skill level will give some xp, but less than a hard one.
There is some problem with skills that always give results but with different quality. I think it can be solved like this: each particular result has its probability, the higher the probability is the lower is the xp gain.

As for skill synergy, I like the idea to have each task being dependent on several skills. For example making a metal mechanism would require mechanics and metalworking, and building a trap with that mechanism would require engineering and mechanics. I think that the lower skill should get more experience from the task, perhaps we can combine it with the anti-grinding in this way: each task needs several skills and has a difficulty level for each skill needed, difficulty defines the xp gain.

Kilo24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 03:45:49 pm »

Grinding seems to have a simple solution: give each task a difficulty level (maybe equal to chance of success), and give experience based an difficulty and current skill. If a novice thrower throws a stone to an empty place several steps away, he will have some experience; but if a legendary thrower does the same he will get none.
That does make grinding harder, but that can just be solved by switching to repeating a task of the higher difficulty.  For example, once you're getting 0 experience for throwing a rock at a tree 5 feet away, move to 20 feet away to get experience again.

One problem with it is that it would also make legitimate skill gain harder to do as well.  Instead of needing to simply find a place to use the skill, you'd also need to make sure that it was a level-appropriate challenge.

I could foresee this idea being better for eliminating grinding than the current implementation, but I think that it would need a lot of tweaking for each skill to get the numbers right.

This can also be combined with the result of the action. For unskilled person succeeds in a really difficult action than he gets xp and if he fails he gets none (he didn't know how to do it and he didn't do it - he learned nothing). Similarly if a skilled person fails in a simple task he will get xp cause he would understand that he does something wrong. And doing a task that fits your skill level will give some xp, but less than a hard one.

There is some problem with skills that always give results but with different quality. I think it can be solved like this: each particular result has its probability, the higher the probability is the lower is the xp gain.
In some ways, this notion could be even more favorable for grinding, depending on its implementation.  Rather than gaining a static +X xp for a successful task, a very unskilled person could simply grind away attempting a difficult task and let the exp boost compensate them for the numerous failures.

It does discourage repeating pathetically easy activities, however - a big bonus.

As for skill synergy, I like the idea to have each task being dependent on several skills. For example making a metal mechanism would require mechanics and metalworking, and building a trap with that mechanism would require engineering and mechanics. I think that the lower skill should get more experience from the task, perhaps we can combine it with the anti-grinding in this way: each task needs several skills and has a difficulty level for each skill needed, difficulty defines the xp gain.
I actually quite like this idea.  This would mean that you could model each task through a combination of more basic skills, and as a result you wouldn't need so bloody many specific skills.  I'd personally like to put a ratio/difficulty for each skill on each task - for example, to make a stone door would be a moderate stoneworking task and a simple mechanics task (for the hinges,) whereas making a metal pocket watch would be difficult metalworking + difficult mechanics.  A separate artistry skill could also be added that applies to most crafted items, which doesn't affect the functions of the item but does affect its value.

teloft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2010, 07:35:18 pm »

[...] Could you clarify that for me?

ok..

1. In dwarf fortress mode, I would thinkt that the warfs in my fort have seen most of the common things done in the dwarven culture thay come from. here migth be some {forbidden knowledge} (like a military secreat) that is not part of the common culture even thow it is a skill posessed by some of that culture.

2. With the need for training to advance a skill, I was thinking about the rule of diminising returns (DOR cap). So when I start off adansing a skill, my effort becomes less and less until I learn nothing new from using the skill, it has become rutine.  Now, if I were to meet somone and talk about the skill, and have some training and perhaps some of his reflections from his use of the skill, I could start to anew to advance by using the skill.  Thusly I can not trow dirt at children to get legendary at thowing dirt, and then go out and kill the hydra bu using my skill from trowing dirt at children.

3. there is some mood, variable. and the system knows if the dwarf feels this or that,  so using a skill under non-common sircumstances sould fulfill my desiger here.  I see this as a nother tier on the rule of diminising return from using a skill.  I also think there sould be a limit on how much somone can benifit from training, so there is to use the skill in an uncommon manner that could give a boost and brake he diminising of return cap (DOR cap).

4. Some more history for creating art and stuff. could also give the ability to train others or oversee the training of others, could also give boost on the DOR cap

--

favord skill,  ok.  here I was thinking that the Skill for example, Shield use could have several generic tags, like say hauling, arm use, hand to hand, and range combat. (or something)  ok, now the Skill of shield use has a favorit generic tag like for example arm use, thus using the skill benefits more from the tag arm use then any of the other generic tags. (the bottom line, the favorit thing is not for the dwarf but for the skill it selfe)

--

I liek the idea that the personality models cound infuence a happy or sad thougth by using a skill that is opposide the traid.

--

bluea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2010, 11:23:34 pm »

In the Pen & Paper game Call of Cthulhu, your training in a skill was limited to a low level to avoid the grinding issue.

Using your example of throwing, you could still gain a fraction of a level by just picking up a piece of dirt and throwing it - but you can't immediately gain another fraction of a level in throwing by throwing a second clod of dirt.

When you're using throwing "for real", you're using it in multiple combats, different monsters, different days, etc. It isn't just throw/advance, throw/advance, throw/advance, but instead throw/advance/time passes/throw/time passes/throw/advance.

So an "optimum" training regimen might be:
jog, swim, throw, juggle, press weights, run stairs, rest, lunch, weapon kata, haul wood, wind sprints, pump operating... repeat.

That is: you might still be 'grinding' at this point, but it can be more realistic and more interesting for the keyboard warrior involved. Additionally, if you do decide to "train hard" for awhile, different people may well train differently.

-

The Pen & Paper game Rolemaster (Hero now, I think.) had an explicit "Skill Web" whereby you could use most anything as the relevant skill - at increasingly insane penalties. The key piece was just having skills grouped into skill categories. There's quite a bit of that already present here just in the way the naming for the various 'overlap' professions work. "Planter" is more specialized than "Farmer" for instance. And the crafting, etc.

In Rolemaster, you get to choose where your points are going explicitly. And the specific skill and the general skill always combine bonuses when you perform an action. Here, pretend planting a seed granted "+5" in "Planting" and "+1" in "Farming". So the next time you plant a seed, the effective bonus would be +6. And the bonus for harvesting - which you've never done before - is already at +1. (Although Rolemaster had a penalty for you'd never at least dabbled in directly.)

snus-mumrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2010, 03:24:04 pm »

That does make grinding harder, but that can just be solved by switching to repeating a task of the higher difficulty.  For example, once you're getting 0 experience for throwing a rock at a tree 5 feet away, move to 20 feet away to get experience again.

One problem with it is that it would also make legitimate skill gain harder to do as well.  Instead of needing to simply find a place to use the skill, you'd also need to make sure that it was a level-appropriate challenge.

Hmm. I'm looking at the problem from a slightly different angle. I wasn't looking for making the game more interesting, but instead more realistic. So in RL you can train by repeating something over and over, but it must be at appropriate difficulty level. Look at the sport for example: professional sportsmen train many hours a day every day, and there is no other way to win.

As for the example with stone throwing - throwing to a good distance will only give you some low level of skill. Hitting a standing target is a little harder, a moving target is harder, a moving-and-dodging target is much harder. So a master thrower will have to pierce an eye of a quick running enemy in a helm and with a shield. And a legendary thrower will have to kill someone with a ricochet from someone else  :)

Using skill when needed (for a quest) doesn't always mean it was educational. If a king asks a legendary hammerer to punish a peasant it doesn't mean that the hammerer will learn to fight better.

----

As for DOR cap, I like the idea of having to do several different activities to advance. I once thought about a more simple idea of having 'theory' and 'practice' level in each skill, first is gained by talking and reading (maybe teaching/writing on higher levels) and the second by using the skill; when there is a gap the progress of the higher is lowered (down to zero when the gap is big enough).

I think your suggestion is great for a full rpg game. The problem is that DF has its fortress mode (which is much more important for me), and it seems hard to implement such system for a whole fort of ai-driven creatures.

---
As for having to wait before repeating the task, it seems that it would be good together with some other changes, not alone. BTW maybe skill rusting will force you to do multiple activities during the day.

Kilo24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2010, 08:03:16 pm »

[...] Could you clarify that for me?
1. In dwarf fortress mode, I would thinkt that the warfs in my fort have seen most of the common things done in the dwarven culture thay come from. here migth be some {forbidden knowledge} (like a military secreat) that is not part of the common culture even thow it is a skill posessed by some of that culture.
Actually, when it's put in that context, you could also cover social castes with these mechanics as well.  If alchemy is restricted to nobles, or many professions are restricted for a dwarf of a particular religion to have (historically, look at Jews) then you could declare that forbidden knowledge to those specific dwarves as well.  Of course, you'd need legal repercussions as well, but it's another interesting use of this system.

2. With the need for training to advance a skill, I was thinking about the rule of diminising returns (DOR cap). So when I start off adansing a skill, my effort becomes less and less until I learn nothing new from using the skill, it has become rutine.  Now, if I were to meet somone and talk about the skill, and have some training and perhaps some of his reflections from his use of the skill, I could start to anew to advance by using the skill.  Thusly I can not trow dirt at children to get legendary at thowing dirt, and then go out and kill the hydra bu using my skill from trowing dirt at children.

3. there is some mood, variable. and the system knows if the dwarf feels this or that,  so using a skill under non-common sircumstances sould fulfill my desiger here.  I see this as a nother tier on the rule of diminising return from using a skill.  I also think there sould be a limit on how much somone can benifit from training, so there is to use the skill in an uncommon manner that could give a boost and brake he diminising of return cap (DOR cap).

4. Some more history for creating art and stuff. could also give the ability to train others or oversee the training of others, could also give boost on the DOR cap
Am I right in thinking that each tag after #1 could be stacked multiple times, and that they'd have extra effects for doing so?  If that's the case, how and and what rate do they wear off (if they do?)

2.  I think 2 could be modeled just by having teaching as another source of experience and doesn't need to have special privileges over the DOR cap.  Repeatedly teaching, after all, doesn't have any magical ability to avoid becoming uninformative or boring in the same way that repeating another activity does.
On the other hand, it is true that a teacher has the capacity to let you look at previous activities in new ways.  I think that, as far as realism is concerned, it's equally viable to let it also have some additional effect on the DOR caps of non-teaching-related activities.  I really don't think either view would be demonstrably wrong, so IMO it's mostly a question of game balance and heavy analysis can only be done after implementation.

3. It might be possible to simulate this by adding a "Not in combat/stressful situation" diminishing returns tag (and possibly weighting it multiple times.)  Therefore, the more you practice outside of combat, the slower your skill gain is.  And in combat, the influence of the tag completely vanishes.  Actually, you might be able to do the teaching tag like this too.

4. That is interesting.  Maybe appreciating/examining an object could reduce the DOR caps associated with crafting that object, and examing engravings depicting an item/process could do the same to any skill associated with that object?  If that's the case, we could make a fortress renowned for its masons, and merely looking all the art would serve to also help to teach masons how to better hone their skills?
This would be an excellent example of something that shouldn't flat-out give experience to everyone, but still could serve to inspire craftsmen to greater heights.

favord skill,  ok.  here I was thinking that the Skill for example, Shield use could have several generic tags, like say hauling, arm use, hand to hand, and range combat. (or something)  ok, now the Skill of shield use has a favorit generic tag like for example arm use, thus using the skill benefits more from the tag arm use then any of the other generic tags. (the bottom line, the favorit thing is not for the dwarf but for the skill it selfe)
I misinterpreted this (and a lot of other things in your post); my apologies.  I was thinking this would be something like Fallout's tagged skills, something that just forced a bit of complexity into the skill system without doing much more.

Hmm... this is an interesting idea.  I'm still not sure what to make of it.  I'll think about it, try to see if I can see exactly what it entails.

I liek the idea that the personality models cound infuence a happy or sad thougth by using a skill that is opposide the traid.
My conception of that was that personalities would affect how effectively a dwarf was working at the task.  If happiness affected how effectively dwarves worked, that would fulfill both of the ideas and have a few other benefits too.

Hmm. I'm looking at the problem from a slightly different angle. I wasn't looking for making the game more interesting, but instead more realistic. So in RL you can train by repeating something over and over, but it must be at appropriate difficulty level. Look at the sport for example: professional sportsmen train many hours a day every day, and there is no other way to win.
To repeat something that you obviously already know, the basic problem is that it's boring for the player.  Jumping into adventure mode to do 100 push-ups before your next dragon hunt is dull, but if the skill advancement system is to be kept similar to the one used when doing a quest you can't just let the player automate doing it (because otherwise they'll spend a few in-game weeks to max out every skill in the game.)

Skill advancement is an additional carrot to make doing anything skill-base more interesting in most RPGs.  It's possible for Dwarf Fortress to shy away from that trend, but I'd assume that Toady would still keep to a system that lets you easily upgrade skills as a result of doing stuff that you're intended to be doing (like killing monsters, making useful items, or whatever have you - I haven't seen any direct quotes from Toady that counteract my assumptions.)

One idea is that there would be another form of skill gain to be used when waiting/doing things over long periods of time.  This kind of training would take months and be less effective than learning skills under stressful situations, but NPCs could use it too and it would save you from doing nothing over that time.  This would be a good bit more realistic than the current system, but I wouldn't expect that it should replace the standard system entirely (because being a virile youth beating up dragons would be pretty hard to do otherwise.)
It would require some way to wait/ do long-term things, but I really can't foresee Adventure Mode working without that, so this could be simply tossed on top when it would be added.

Using skill when needed (for a quest) doesn't always mean it was educational. If a king asks a legendary hammerer to punish a peasant it doesn't mean that the hammerer will learn to fight better.
Agreed.  One big problem that any advancement system has is in determining which activities are educational which which aren't, something which is really hard to determine and frequently unreliable.  You might figure something out by repeating an activity that you've done before in a different way; I don't see how that could be modeled well.  The best idea I've got is adding a small random chance to earn an amount of extra experience (which does very little good to it from the perspective of a game).

I'd personally argue that a lot of these problems stem from storing knowledge and everything else that goes into a skill as a simple integer rather than something that behaves more like a web of concepts and mental/physical conditioning (muscle memory triggers).  Of course, modeling that for one skill is a challenge because you'd need pretty specific ideas for each skill to be based from; doing that with the sheer amount of skills Dwarf Fortress has would take a long time.

As for DOR cap, I like the idea of having to do several different activities to advance. I once thought about a more simple idea of having 'theory' and 'practice' level in each skill, first is gained by talking and reading (maybe teaching/writing on higher levels) and the second by using the skill; when there is a gap the progress of the higher is lowered (down to zero when the gap is big enough).
It's complicated and slightly more realistic, it just seems to me that you'd need to synchronize the two extensively, which would force a lot of micromanagement on the part of the skill leveler and on the game designer.  You could tweak it to the point that it achieves a nice balance and doesn't force the player to go through lots of hoops just to get better at a skill, but IMO the gain in realism would be minor, especially compared to the amount of work required.  You can't completely separate the theory from the practice in almost any skill, and as a result the implementation will still reflect that basic problem regardless of what you do.

I think your suggestion is great for a full rpg game. The problem is that DF has its fortress mode (which is much more important for me), and it seems hard to implement such system for a whole fort of ai-driven creatures.
I'm aware of that, and that Toady doesn't want disparate systems for modes if he can avoid it.  But I don't think that it will be a significant problem.

One of the most important ideas here is to keep it automated (or easily capable of automation).  The demands on the hardware for a complex skill system are insignificant compared to that required for, say, pathfinding.  If no choices are required to be made for the dwarf when leveling up skills, there won't be a problem in that regard in switching it to Fortress Mode.

The other major problematic notion is that advancing skills will require/encourage special behavior from the dwarves.  This could be pretty nasty on the skill implementations requiring training, goals, or other specific behavior. 

I'd guess that the goal set required by the Hybrid Anti-Grinding System could be comparatively easily designed that this wouldn't be a huge problem (things like fulfilling mandates, maybe making a masterwork, definitely making an artifact, killing a named creature) could all be goals that trigger the experience allocation, and you could just consider a goal to be automatically achieved once a year so that the dwarf churning out endless identical mugs or shoveling manure still ends up learning a few things from it (just not too much.)

It'd be harder for the Goal-Based Skill Uses idea, I think.  After all, there's not much difference mechanically between building a megaproject and repeatedly building and deconstructing a wall that the game recognizes. 

As for having to wait before repeating the task, it seems that it would be good together with some other changes, not alone. BTW maybe skill rusting will force you to do multiple activities during the day.
It might be; it's likely that a hybridized approach to many of these ideas mind end up proving to be the best one.

And I really hope that skill rusting doesn't work that quickly.  If it does, then taking a month-long journey to another town, say, would be likely to completely mess up your skills.

...So an "optimum" training regimen might be:
jog, swim, throw, juggle, press weights, run stairs, rest, lunch, weapon kata, haul wood, wind sprints, pump operating... repeat.

That is: you might still be 'grinding' at this point, but it can be more realistic and more interesting for the keyboard warrior involved. Additionally, if you do decide to "train hard" for awhile, different people may well train differently...
The Diminishing Returns for Similar Actions would model the improvement of this training regimen, since it'd be doing different actions with different records of repeated activities.
That being said, it's still basically grinding, and if you're controlling the character while repeating this it's still rather boring.  Training for long periods of time (an idea earlier in this post) might let you design the training regimen at the same time you determine the skills you're training; I'd foresee that as a pretty good reason to incorporate this training idea.

Call of Cthulhu had the d% system, and improving skills consisted of some combination of succeeding then failing a skill check IIRC.  It's been a while so I'm going off memory, but I didn't recall it being that ingenious, and that it tended to create as many problems as it solved (percentage skills not scaling too well with skill difficulty, for example).

Rolemaster I know pretty much nothing about, save for legends of its complexity.

Wow.  This post is an authentic Wall'o'text.

teloft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2010, 01:49:52 am »

There are many good ideas here.

I would think of the goal as to find a system that is fun to play and works well for the AI in Dwarf fortress mode.

Repeating the same task over and over again will give some lineral advancement. But this will only maintain the ability to do a skill, like a lifestyle. once the lifestyle is chansed. for example if I stop working out, I will gro fat but Ill have more time for programing (until I am so at loss for phisical enery that I cant realy do anything anymore).  Repeaing tasks is like brushing my teath, I will not get better at it by doing it every day, but my teath stay healthy this way.

Re-reading what I just wrote, I find even one more Idea for the system, that is to lose ability to do a skill, (or simply to take more time in doing the legendary work becous I have now become fat).

having 'theory' and 'practice' level in each skill

Here we could enter the diference from snus-mumrik on 'theory' and 'practice' level. While a one time I may have had good theory and practice, I have now lost some of my practice (becous I am now fat or old), but I can still teach and design and stuff like that so I have retaind the theory.

Now lets say I will go and get fit, I already have good theory and therefore I could more easely gain back the practice.

If that's the case, we could make a fortress renowned for its masons, and merely looking all the art would serve to also help to teach masons how to better hone their skills?
This would be an excellent example of something that shouldn't flat-out give experience to everyone, but still could serve to inspire craftsmen to greater heights.

Aooowww, this is wonderfull.  I had never thougth of desiging it in this way, this is stade of the art in my feald.  And look at this old barbaric design combinde with the renessance plesure for detail. ... 

This is it.

Make objects and emotions interact with the skill system.  And give it a DOR cap to better facilitate the objects and emotions.

The hero in adventure more has high modivation to go and kill the hydra and therefore is training and is listening when people talk about figthing and killing. He will observe and learn, seek training and so on...  When he has retierd in a town, and perhaps grown fat spending his days carving out the hydra bones for charms, he can still teach the young and traveling in the town, thush giving the town and lone travelers an efective boost in fighting skills. (by reseting some DOR caps)  Even when he is dead, the people of the town have better skill ('theory' and 'practice').  Now lets say that the town and all in it have beed killed off by a flood.  The adventurer can still benifit from the carved hydra bones charms, that is if thay are studied, admiered and contemplated.

--

==Skill system and its uses==

ok,  here is a new idea.

A skill, lets say "trowing" has some tags.
One of the tags of trowing can be lets say "use of arms".

the tag has a DOR cap. And when the DOR cap is reset, it is done for that partigular tag in general.

Now several skills have this tag, and thay all benefit from having the DOR cap reset.

We have identified several different <types> of DOR cap tags.

Types of DOR cap tags:

1. Observing
2. Training with others
3. Internal emotional stress
4. Philosophising
... and perhaps more

(modifed:

so there are difrent tasks dependent upon the type that needs to be done in other to reset/advance a tag, and once a tag is reset/advanced, the skill user must gain more experience in that skill before he will recive better quality tag asessment

)

Now lets say I have advanced my tags to legendary, but I have not used my skill for ages,

and lets say that when I dont use or maintain a skill, I will "rust"

Now I can easely take off the rust becouse I have all theese DOR cap tags advancements in place that help me un-rust.

Now what sould be the Skill-tag relationship ?

I use a skill

whether I benefit in experience from using the skill is determend by the combined value of all its tags

Lets say that using a skill is also feed back into the system by emotion. So using this skill has effect on the character even thow it need not be in the form of experience.

Now I go into a fortress renowned for its masons

how much I benefit in tearms of DOR caps is dependent upon the level of skills I  have.

a novice hunter will not benefit as much as the expert hunter, for the expert hunter has much more experience and therefore is able to better reset his DOR caps by use of the fortress renowned for its masons. Tat is if the masons in the fortress have something to do with hunting.

(modified:

So the DOR cap for a skill is detemend by its tags,  I go into the fortress to advance/reset my tag. The amount by with the related tags are reset/advanced is detemande by the combinde DOR cap for advancing a skill.

)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 02:01:52 am by teloft »

bluea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2010, 04:23:21 pm »

The Call of Cthulhu thing was only particularly interesting because many other pen-and-paper games don’t care if you’ve actually performed the things you’re spending points in - this was a mechanism to prevent the reverse of grinding actually. “I have fifty-bazillion levels of Skill XYZ and I’ve never-ever used it once!” Lockpicking is a silly skill to train if you’re never going to use it and are going to instead let the party brick bash the doors down every-single-time.

The “anti-grinding” in Cthulhu is from the standard pen&paper “leveling” - you can only advance so fast, there's no reason to "get your checkmark" in a skill over-and-over.

Quick description of Rolemaster’s Skills/Stats Framework:
(Ok: Quick still means Wall-of-Text, there’s ‘How could this work with DF’ at the bottom.)

1) You have ten stats.
2) Every time you level you get points to spend based on your stats (say: 50).
3) Any profession can buy a rank in most any skill.
4) Along with skill ranks, there are skill group ranks that can also be bought.
5) Everything is based on a 0-100-ish roll. (So ‘+5’ is no big deal.)
6) Higher skill ranks translate into smaller and smaller increases in the actual bonuses. You can’t ever “Max out” a skill, but you can get high enough that further training in that skill is pretty darn pointless.

So:
The skill category Athletic-Endurance uses the Stats (Constitution, Strength, Agility) and contains the skills (Distance Running, Rowing, Scaling, Sprinting, Swimming).

In the end, we add all the bonuses: Stats + Skill Category + Skill + (stuff skipped for simplicity, but basically anything else that might affect your skill: race, profession, magic, masterwork gear, etc.)

First, we’re balancing the bonuses from our three stats of interest for this skill group - say they average to +7. (Our guy’s strong(+9) and robust(+9) but not that agile(+3))

Initially, before the character learns the first thing, you’d have “zero ranks” in Swimming and in Athletic-Endurance - you have a modifier like -25 to your “Swimming” roll.

So right off the bat the total bonus (Stat + Skill Category + Skill) = +7 -25 = -18. Not so hot when your basic chance of success is roughly “Add d100 to your bonus and try to break 100”.

If I’m a Ranger, the cost of the Athletic-Endurance skills is marked as 1/5. Buying a single rank of Athletic-Endurace costs 1 point, buying a buying a second rank at the same leveling would cost 5. This is somewhat anti-grinding - you can advance an area more quickly, but you’re explicitly hurting your ‘final character’ from a minimax standpoint. So you don’t -want- to grind everything. A couple of things - sure. But still a disincentive.

Each rank of a Skill Category is basically “+2” to your roll for the first 10 ranks. The second ten ranks are “+1”, the third ten are “+0.5” and keep halving. This is the diminishing rewards aspects.

Each rank of a Skill is “+3” for the first ten ranks, “+2” for the second 10, and halves every ten past that.

So spending a point on Athletic-Endurance, and a point on Swimming knocks off the “No Skill” penalty and
(Stat + Skill Category + Skill) = +7 +2 +3 = +12.

Spending twelve points at this advancement instead gives:
(Stat + Skill Category + Skill) = +7 +4 +6 = +17.

The first two points took us from -18 to +12 -> a thirty point bonus in our roll. The next ten points only got us a five point bonus.

If we waited a month (or whatever), we could get the same +5 bonus for just two points.

So extend this to, say Michael Phelps:
He’d have decent stats (+15), a pile of training in Athletic-Endurance (30 ranks = +35 bonus), and a pile of training in Swimming (30 ranks = +60 bonus) for a total of (+110).

But that means he’s not half-bad at Rowing or Sprinting either - even if he’s never-ever tried either.
Rowing: (Stat + Skill Category + Skill) = +15 +35 -10 = +40.
And a minimal amount of training in the individual skill (one point of fifty-per-level-ish) wipes out that “-10” penalty.

So, how on Earth could that be used in Dwarf Fortress?
Picture a rolling list of “The last 50 skills used by this Dwarf” and “Last 10 advanced skills” - a 60 byte structure so long as we’ve got fewer than 256 skills. At advancement, a random skill from the ‘Last used’ list is chosen. But allow the amount of advancement to fluctuate. (Or the ‘chance of actual skill advancement’ if skills are too indivisible.) Any time a skill is advanced, mark an appropriate skill category advancement as well. And pick from the relevant stats for the stat advancement.

What in the heck does that mean?
Michael the SwimmingGrinder’s lists are completely filled with “Swimming”. When it becomes time to advance a skill, swimming will obviously be the random choice of skill (You’re picking from a list filled with “Swimming”) - and he’ll receive only a minimal skill boost in throwing (Because both lists have a whole lot of “Swimming” in them).

John the JustPlayTheGameDammit’s lists of ‘Used skills’ and ‘Advanced skills’ are quite diverse - but he did actually use ‘Swimming’ quite a bit just getting around. The ‘Advanced skills’ list is unlikely to read “Swimming, Swimming, Swimming,...” - so he’ll get a full (or nearly full) skill boost there.

Michael is obviously still going to be better at swimming that John. Michael is also a heck of a lot more irritating to train than John. And Michael is going to be somewhat crippled when doing anything outside of Athletic-Endurance.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2010, 04:30:32 pm »

Alright, I didn't actually read any of your spoiler'd post, so excuse me if this comment is out of place.

I just want to let you know that Toady totally reworked the attribute system in the next version, including (many) more attributes (and new types of attributes), changed methods for acquiring them, and natural caps. All of these changes should make the attributes much more balanced.

I think that any extensive discussion on the attributes as they currently are will be a waste of your time and effort. The new system won't really resemble the current one.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Kilo24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2010, 06:32:42 pm »

[Call of Cthulhu and Rolemaster skills explanation]
Well, Call of Cthulhu encouraged you to use every skill once, if at all possible.  Which kind of breaks the immersion a little bit when you're encouraged to contrive uses for skills for more experience, but it's less breaking than blatantly encouraging grinding. 

Yep, Rolemaster lives up to its reputation.

About the system as envisioned for DF: it does neuter grinding pretty effectively.  We'd still need to define what an advancement is exactly caused by (just a generic goal, like the Hybrid Anti-Grinding System?) which is a downside.  And the random advancement grates on me, because relying on luck will be a pain if you're trying to advance a specific skill. 
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "But allow the amount of advancement to fluctuate."  What does it fluctuate from?

I might as well detail the system that the Hybrid Anti-Grinding System was inspired by, too. 

At the end of a World Tree session, the GM announces limits to the skill gains- 5 in one skill category, and 0-3 in the other categories is standard.  Each skill category has a skill experience pool in it that you draw from to advance skills in that category.  You choose the category(s) that you think you learned the most in for the large numbers like 4-5, and the rest are determined by how much you used skills within that category.  1 exp if you used any, 2 exp if you used a few skills or a few times, and 3 exp if you used all the skills or one a lot.
The GM also grants several d6s (usually 3) that you divide as desired between categories as well.  You roll after you assign them.
You may then advance any skills that you used in that session by one skill level for a cost of experience equal to the skill level you're leveling to. 
And that's pretty much the whole character advancement system, which is measured almost entirely by skills.  Advantages/Disadvantages can be gained during play, but that's entirely up to the GM.  The system gives you a reason to use skills multiple times but not enough to encourage grinding, and also is fairly simple for allowing both a balance of player choice and having the actual actions you took matter.

Alright, I didn't actually read any of your spoiler'd post, so excuse me if this comment is out of place.

I just want to let you know that Toady totally reworked the attribute system in the next version, including (many) more attributes (and new types of attributes), changed methods for acquiring them, and natural caps. All of these changes should make the attributes much more balanced.

I think that any extensive discussion on the attributes as they currently are will be a waste of your time and effort. The new system won't really resemble the current one.
I was aware of the extra attributes added and the attribute caps imposed, but didn't see anything about different methods for acquiring them.  Thanks for the input.

It really only bears on one critique of one system though (Interlinked Skills), in which the problem is that skills with lots of links would put in more experience overall and therefore give higher bonuses to attributes.  The other systems should still behave pretty much the same, and unless skills don't affect attributes any longer, that downside should still be in effect.