Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Next Version Modding  (Read 620 times)

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Next Version Modding
« on: February 18, 2010, 08:20:29 pm »

So, with all the enormous amount of changes coming soon (hopefully soon, at least) - what mods do you think will no longer be necessary, and what mods do you think will be useful?

I know for instance that animal-men of all stripes get more attention, apparently, and with the changes to megabeasts and HFS, we /might/ not need to worry about modding in specific versions of either, depending on how its done.

Where do you think modding for DF is headed?

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: Next Version Modding
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 08:59:02 pm »

and with the changes to megabeasts and HFS, we /might/ not need to worry about modding in specific versions of either, depending on how its done.

No such thing as too much.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 09:14:15 pm »

This comment is within the spoiler tag to avoid spoiling those who don't wish info on future features/HFS.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 03:53:09 am »

This comment is within the spoiler tag to avoid spoiling those who don't wish info on future features/HFS.
I think there will be more modding going on after this release, than ever. And with the new stuff there will be more variation too.  ;D
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 03:59:48 am »

It looks like you're a bit disinformed. While stuff is generated randomly, Toady One showed us that the templates are in the raws, thus you still have to mod if you want to change those guys. It's not like it's magically hardcoded, and I hope Toady One never goes this way. In fact he goes the opposite way with the every release: MORE TO THE RAWS! :P

So the new version won't make any mods unnecessary (well except for some obvious fixes like cat mouth bug fix), instead it will give us much more possibilities to expand on those mods.

P.S. And I wouldn't talk about HFS yet. We have no clue which kinds of HFS we'll see in the next version at all. There's a reason it's called "hidden". I wouldn't count on seeing the same clowns as we have now, although they may survive the version change and be a part of other cool new stuff.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 09:30:46 am »

A fairly large amount of mods will be salavageable for DF2010 - the creature mods are changing significantly, but they still have a lot of common info. I'm guessing stone/gems/soil are fairly similar to this version.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

wilsonns

• Bay Watcher
  • Golden hair?Green eyes?Spiky beard?Super Dorf Jin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 10:11:17 am »

I'm going to update my turtle fortress mod ^^

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 10:19:06 am »

Dig Deeper shall roll into the new millennium... For no matter how deep you dig you can always DIG DEEPER...

At least until you get to the core of the world or HFS or your miners decide to mine the tile they're on.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.