Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Good ways to end a fortress?  (Read 2294 times)

Asteranx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Good ways to end a fortress?
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2010, 12:46:45 pm »

It's like my pappy always used to say... He'd say to me "Son... The best fortress is a _rocket_ fortress."

Freestanding structures suspended by supports directly above a booze stockpile with one tile of magma in the middle.  Run pumps to spray the magma on the booze as you simultaneously release the supports.

Now... The pending G forces _may_ cause some debris to be 'shaken free'.  This is normal.  Also those dwarves of 'weaker' constitutions may abandon the project at the last minute, choosing to jump ship.  This is unfortunate, but also normal.  But rest assured that the best of your best are now headed for the stars!

wagawaga

• Bay Watcher
  • He is utterly unaware of his own intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2010, 01:54:42 pm »

If you are playing under an aquifer and want a slow death, dig upstairs somewhere.

Even better if it's in the main hall, so the mist will make everyone happy just before drowning them.

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2010, 03:10:44 pm »

My plan for the only fortress I've wanted to kill was to pump magma over to my fortress and flood everything in pressurized magma; pressurized both because hey, it'll flood everything, and bee, I want to cover the entire world in lava. At the largest expansion, I'd planned to pave the sky, cover that upper layer with lava, then open bridges and flood everything with the ultimate garbage disposal.

Edit: Unfortunately, I gave up halfway through, and neither paved the world nor pumped the magma, and contented myself with genning a new world.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2010, 04:21:21 pm »

If you are playing under an aquifer and want a slow death, dig upstairs somewhere.

Even better if it's in the main hall, so the mist will make everyone happy just before drowning them.

Thats the best sort. Slow! If you don't have an aquifer you just need to use elaborate pump stacks to do this, with the source of the flood upstairs next to the entrance so the entrance floods first, trapping everyone in while the fortress slowly floods.

And of course magma is preferable to plain old water.

LoneJedi7

• Bay Watcher
  • The CaKE is A LIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2010, 04:35:48 pm »

It's like my pappy always used to say... He'd say to me "Son... The best fortress is a _rocket_ fortress."

Freestanding structures suspended by supports directly above a booze stockpile with one tile of magma in the middle.  Run pumps to spray the magma on the booze as you simultaneously release the supports.

Now... The pending G forces _may_ cause some debris to be 'shaken free'.  This is normal.  Also those dwarves of 'weaker' constitutions may abandon the project at the last minute, choosing to jump ship.  This is unfortunate, but also normal.  But rest assured that the best of your best are now headed for the stars!
i like it, i like it, I LIKE IT
ℍ!Ξ[/[Θ]![ℍ∑▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀)

AnotherDwarvernDeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2010, 05:44:57 pm »

i like it, i like it, I LIKE IT

I'm building my death project now, but I think I'll embark somewhere with magma and undead elephants and try this one out.

My death project is somewhat simpler: 4 levers, 4 floodgates. One of solid gold, one of microline, one of kaolinite, and one simply of limestone. All the levers are in my philosopher's mansion, and when they are pulled, the fortress floods. I'm going to build another lever on the very top of my tower that, when pulled, skins the walls off the tower. Another set of rocks will fall through the center and chop through the stairs, disconnecting the entire thing and causing the entire structure to collapse. Meanwhile, the lone dwarf on top now has to worry about 15 floors of tower suddenly exploding beneath him.

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2010, 08:36:20 pm »

Here's what i plan to do;

Get all the civ's to declare war on you

2. Catch all the various civ's leaders, elite troops, and quite a few normal grunts in cages

3. place these cages on display throughout your fortress in key locations

4. attach all of them to one lever.

5. send all your military dwarves outside, and lock them out there.

6. pull lever, sit back, and watch the carnage.

for additional fun, add in a few megabeasts and wild animals
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

Comrade Ankh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2010, 08:56:08 pm »

I'm fond of sky gardens for my fortresses. In a recent one, I had a sky garden, complete with zoo, 20 z-level diving board, and 50k worth of shale statues. It expanded 25ish tiles in every direction past the support tower, which was 10x10 itself. Anyway, when the time came to end it, I demolished the tower, leaving a Support. When it was pulled, the whole thing fell. Macaque fell from the heavens; some splattered across the entrance, while a lucky few scampered away with uninjured bodies (How, I still don't know. It was a 10 floor drop.). All exits to the fort were cut off by the new hole through the stairwell, and every pick in the place was crushed. The irrigation tunnel for the farm started flooding out the lower levels, while the dwarves happily pitted every bit of food into the goblin pit.

The champions stood their ground the entire time. As it happened, their 'ground' was directly in front of the catapult. One by one, they were crushed, until finally a berserker (the only insane person in the downfall) managed to destroy the siege engine and operator.

The lucky few, stuck on the surface and still alive? They build each other massive pyramids, and then locked themselves inside, resigning themselves to a peaceful, slow death.

But, that's just me. You might have more fun casting every dwarf into obsidian.

Phil_Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2010, 09:01:14 pm »

ok, this is the most evil, sick, twisted, and slow way to end your fortress.  it takes time, and only works with  40, 80, 160, ect. dwarves

Dig down to an unused zlevel to start construction on a series of rooms. these rooms will be built connecting in pairs to another row of rooms, so if you start with 40 rooms, the next set of rooms will have 20 rooms, and so on untill you have but one room.

now to build the deathtraps.  for this example, we will use 4 starting rooms, a,b,c and d, 2 secondary rooms (e, f) and one final room,

the rooms should be set up so that a/b and c/d share a wall.  hollow out that wall and put in glass windows/blocks.  then, in each room, put a pressure plate. each pressure plate will then connect to two floodgates, one in the room it is in, one in the room it shares a wall with.  so, a pressure plate in "a" will trigger a floodgate in "a" and a floodgate in "b".  the pressure plate in "b" will connect to a floodgate in "b" and a floodgate in "a".  c and d will be set up the same way.  the trick here is which floodgate opens.   there will be 2 floodgates in each room: 1 leading to the secondary room (a/b will go to e, c/d to f) and one holding back water.  if a dwarf pushes the plate in their room, they will get to advance to the next room, BUT they also have to watch their neighbor drown!

after the first round, there will be a dwarf dead for a dwarf in eahc second spot.  so, Dwarf "a" died but dwarf "b" is in room "e".  dwarf "d" is dead while dwarf "c" is in room "f".  thee two rooms (e and f) also share a window.  some idea: a plate in each room, hitting a plate will cause one dwarf to die and another to advance. this time make it interesting by making the trap different.  have it drop a bear into the other room, or something like that.

finally you have one dwarf left, in one final room(with all your artifacts, weapons, ect)  you can let him go, or have him pull a lever that caves in the room on him.

If you can't get your dwaves to activate the pressure plates, add a kitten with each dwarf.
you might wanna figure out how to turn off tantruming or melancholy.
It's community is the natural side effect of a game being a masterpiece hiding behind the learning curve of a brick wall - trolls can't play DF long enough to find something to ridicule.
Toady One has created a masterpiece!

AnotherDwarvernDeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2010, 09:51:09 pm »

This seems to be quite interesting, let me see if I understand the layout of the rooms, though:
Code: [Select]
A-B#C-D
.#.#.#.
..E-F..
##.#.##
##.G.##
[/font]
... In which # = rock, - = window, . = passage to the next room, ABCD = first set of rooms, EF = second set of rooms, and G is the room that is caved in or filled with magma.

Sounds fun, but perhaps I could suggest an improvement, since this seems like one dwarf would step on a plate, then the other dwarf runs from the flood straight into another plate, with both rooms flooded and both doors opened.  Perhaps you could rig up one plate to cave in an area directly above the other plate, causing it to be destroyed. Other than that, this seems to be a very good ending.

LoneJedi7

• Bay Watcher
  • The CaKE is A LIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2010, 12:09:02 am »

Heres a good way to end a fortress that willl happen completely at random so you wont see it coming (unless you look, which wouldent be very dwarfy). build a fairly large maze with 1 space wide tunnels and intersections, and if you want, multiple z-levels.  then put in pressure plates all throughout said maze (set them so anything will set them off). Hook them up to random vital doors and some fun spike traps INSIDE your fortress, you can also do a few that floods rooms, causes cave-ins, or releases goblins and/or wild animals into your fortress too if you want (highly recommended).  then toss a few cats inside this maze and wall it off.
 if you do it right, stuff will start happening......i guaruntee it.
ℍ!Ξ[/[Θ]![ℍ∑▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀)

Phil_Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2010, 04:49:51 am »

This seems to be quite interesting, let me see if I understand the layout of the rooms, though:
Code: [Select]
A-B#C-D
.#.#.#.
..E-F..
##.#.##
##.G.##
[/font]
... In which # = rock, - = window, . = passage to the next room, ABCD = first set of rooms, EF = second set of rooms, and G is the room that is caved in or filled with magma.

Sounds fun, but perhaps I could suggest an improvement, since this seems like one dwarf would step on a plate, then the other dwarf runs from the flood straight into another plate, with both rooms flooded and both doors opened.  Perhaps you could rig up one plate to cave in an area directly above the other plate, causing it to be destroyed. Other than that, this seems to be a very good ending.

You have it exactly. Now just imagine it on a larger scale!

there are def. some problems though, I mean the time it could potentially take, not just to build but to use.  you might need food stores in each room to stop the dwarves from dying.  if you used water, you'd have to make sure it wouldn't flip the plates, or you'd flood the entire thing.  But hey, I think it meets the guidelines for Fun!
It's community is the natural side effect of a game being a masterpiece hiding behind the learning curve of a brick wall - trolls can't play DF long enough to find something to ridicule.
Toady One has created a masterpiece!

AnotherDwarvernDeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2010, 07:27:42 pm »

All right, I just tested collapsing the tower and flooding the hole. It mostly worked - the tower collapsing didn't, but I just removed the base of it, replaced it with a support, and then told someone to pull a lever to remove the support. That someone was a planter with her baby, and as the tower exploded, she was flung 15 feet away from the lever. I mean, where the lever was. So now she and the baby were 15 z-levels up, high above the crater. Upon searching for their bodies, I found the mother's corpse, head, leg, and arm, as well as the baby's corpse, leg, and head. These were all scattered among countless other exploded corpses and furniture. The survivors, trapped on different floors of the underground fortress, are now going insane in various ways, and I built a ramp to a trapped champion's (now disconnected) post, so he can go berserk in the middle of the party that broke out downstairs for some unfathomable reason (at least it gave me a new sig, although if I had copied it word for word, it would take up several pages of doom and destruction).

But the best part is?
The crater is now slowly flooding.

EDIT: A goblin siege has arrived. This should be good, since I am now collapsing the execution tower (around 20 z-levels high, I believe) and the philosopher's floating mansion (the philosopher's house on the lake, with much booze and food, along with another tower that holds the philosopher's bedroom, along with several golden statues, cages filled with small animals, and the levers necessary to stop the flooding. Oh, and did I mention that his bedroom is made entirely of green glass?).
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 07:36:28 pm by AnotherDwarvernDeath »
Pages: 1 [2]