Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Good ways to end a fortress?  (Read 2290 times)

AnotherDwarvernDeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Good ways to end a fortress?
« on: February 18, 2010, 07:31:53 pm »

So, I've got this fairly successful fortress, been alive for more than 15 years now. However, I'm thinking about killing it off simply because it's getting a bit boring. The last fortress that was semi-successful I ended by making unique, complex tombs for the important people, then killing and leaving them behind as I abandoned the rest of the dorfs. I thought that was a mildly boring way to end it, so I want a good ending this time around.

I'm thinking about starting a war with the elves, but anyone else got some ideas? There's no chance of this fortress ending through a siege, since I'm using plain old vanilla Dwarf Fortress.

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Good ways to end a fortress?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 07:34:57 pm »

Make a megaconstruction to drown seiges. You know it's working if you manage to flood your whole fortress.
Better yet, use magma.
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 07:36:09 pm »

You need to rig a flow of water or magma starting at the very top entrance of your fort and then rig your entire fortress with an elaborate system of vents and ductwork such that every single room in your fortress will flood. Make sure it blocks the entrance/exit first so no one can escape.

Magma is preferred for obvious reasons.

Bonus points if you have the lever that starts the process right in front of the pump outlet, so as soon as you pull the lever the lever will melt, forever locking the doomsday machine on.

Your fortress will then slooooowly flood, room by room, with burning dwarves and melting artifacts as the magma creeps forward inch by inch.

:D

Hobgobwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 07:39:02 pm »

Carve the outside perimeter of your map out, dig out the entire bottom level, prop everything up on a single support, pull a switch and watch it drop and chug.

AnotherDwarvernDeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 07:49:37 pm »

Man, next fortress I am SO starting someplace with magma. But the post about dropping the entire thing through the floor gave me an idea: since my fortress is partially built like a huge pillar - a tower stretching up toward the sky, continuing far underground - I could drop the tower and punch through the center of the fortress.

Or, maybe I could start a war with the elves, then when they are inside the tower entrance... WHAM!

And whatever's left, I can flood with water from the lake.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 09:27:30 pm »

Hey now. Don't diss DF vanilla.

Embark in a place where undead elephants roam. They'll tear your fortress to pieces! and if they don't - then they'll atleast tear any merchants arriving to pieces! so you'll find yourself at war with everyone if you don't sacrifice pretty much everything to exterminate the beasts.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 12:16:21 am »

Wars with elves usualy just result in many dead elves. Look in worldgen for some nice examples. While thats not a bad thing at all, it is still not a very good way to end your fortress.

I would suggest pressurised liquids. Preferably magma, but water will do. Pressurize it because it just goes way faster, and doesnt stop flowing at some point when it reaches an equibrilium with evaporation.

For another fun way you could build a platform high in the sky or above a chasm, put all your dwarves on it, and let 1 dwarf murder the entire fortress by Pulling the Lever. You could of course replace this platform with your entire fortress by ramp carving a tube around your fortress, and then digging out the bottom layer. It results in some pretty ruinous looking architecture.

One I once tried is making a huge number of masterwork clownite spears, putting the lot of them in a barracks build with every bit of precious material my fortress produced, and making the inside of the barracks visible from another room. I drafted my fortress (safe for some nobles and legendaries, which I locked into the spectating room), handed them the spears but no armour, and locked them in barracks. 'Fun' ensued. Survivers were a few passed out recruits and a berserk noble.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 01:04:45 am »

Oh, that gives me an idea... You can use Dwarf Companion to set your dwarves to butcherable.  Just make one butcher go start a "meat pie and barber shop" workshop.  See how many he can get through before the tantrum spiral kills him off, as well.

If he lives, have him release cages full of wild animals on himself, or set up a trap to spike himself, or some other way that he's going to get shredded to meat, and preferably eaten by something else.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 10:08:37 am »

Magma.

/thread
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010, 10:32:15 am »

Build spike traps randomly throughout your fort.  Just stick 1 in them.  No need to get a garenteed kill. Just a few woundings with an occasional kill is all you need.  Set all the spikes up to a repeater. 

Have fun.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2010, 12:00:17 pm »

Dig a long hallway (12 or so tiles long) and put in a 10-tile retracting drawbridge. Put a lever at the end of the hallway, right where the dwarf would have to stand to pull the lever. Set the lever to Repeat.

Watch as dwarf after dwarf is smashed by the falling bridge.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

LoneJedi7

• Bay Watcher
  • The CaKE is A LIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2010, 12:05:26 pm »

Build a very large tower/construction/skytemple thing, and hook it up with one vital point near the bottom that is only supported by one support(yes it can be done), hook it up to a lever, pull the lever, and see what would happen if an asteriod were to strike your fortress.

Bonus points if you build a magma pool inside the tower to make it truely great.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 12:13:56 pm by LoneJedi7 »
ℍ!Ξ[/[Θ]![ℍ∑▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀)

A-chana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2010, 12:24:10 pm »

If you're willing to change the creature tokens around. I'd say start a war with elves anyway. Once they or someone else comes in to siege you in a huge force, make some changes to the raws and add dragonfire breath to dwarves, dogs, and your enemies and any of their mounts (elves and unicorns, goblins and beak dogs). I'm not sure what your fortress defenses are like, but try and leave a bunch of civilians outside (they can spread the fire if they're set alight by enemies passing by) and split up your army so they don't gang up on the invaders too quickly. If the climate is grassy, said grass should be on fire with your dwarves in the middle of it. A great many deaths should occur and start a tantrum spiral -- any berserk dwarves will breath fire, too, which should be even more fun. Just don't forget to remove the dragonfirebreath tags afterward.

Making huge sections/the whole fort? collapse sounds awesome, though. Make sure to have at least one or two dwarves outside the falling section if you're caving in the whole place, just so you can see the complete, utter spam of messages.

Malibu Stacey

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2010, 12:32:01 pm »

Wars with the elves aren't terribly interesting. At best they'll show up hidden on Unicorns with wooden weapons & armour. After your dwarves stop laughing even a squad of 5 of your Champions will tear through them like a hot knife through butter.

I'd suggest making some big stockpile areas & have your Legendary Wood & Stone Crafters just pumping stuff out endlessly (assuming after 15 years you've got a few from Strange Moods). Same for your Legendary Cooks making lavish meals & anything else which can make masterwork items regularly with ease. If you've a ton of leather from a meat industry or silk/plant cloth a Legendary Clothier could work too, anything you can mass produce at very high quality & store in bins should work well.
This should boost your created wealth massively which should increase the size & frequency of goblin ambushes, goblin sieges & Megabeast appearances.
Assuming you're chopping a ton of trees down to keep your Wood Crafters (and Carpenters making bins and/or barrels for all that stuff) busy the Elves will hate you soon enough too so you'll get Elven Ambushes & Sieges to play with without too much effort.

Wipe out as much of the Goblin siege squads as you can. Let as few of them as possible leave the map to the extent of stationing squads "behind" them as they attempt to flee so your champions kill as many as possible. This should increase the numbers & experience of what they send against you. If you do this for long enough, combined with continually increasing your created wealth you should get them bringing Trolls with them & riding "beak dogs" according to the Wiki but I haven't bothered murdering goblins for long enough to see it myself.

If you want to play with Kobold ambushes make a honeypot for them to steal from you which is basically a stockpile of stuff with a relatively high value somewhere outside your main fortress. You may want to put some traps at the entrance to kill any non-Kobold creatures who try to steal from it like Rhesus Macaques. Kobolds will walk over any traps with ease so some weapon traps will work fine if you don't want the hassle of reloading cage traps. Once they steal enough stuff they'll start sending Kobold ambushes to your fort. The more stuff the thieves get away with, the more Kobolds will come in ambushes & more often. You may need to mix the stuff available for theft, a stockpile of masterwork stone crafts might appeal to some of the thieves but others might be looking for metals or something & still try to walk into your main fortress if it's not available in the honeypot.

You can get the Humans sieging you too. Just seize all their stuff when they come to trade with you in the summer at your Trade Depot. You can be even more evil & kill their traders if you wish but seizing a large enough caravan should do it. Human sieges take a lot longer than Goblin ones, they tend to build a campfire & try to wait you out (as in they actually siege properly) before attacking unlike Goblins. Humans won't send ambush squads as far as I've seen but you can get them in Goblin ambush squads. Eventually they'll send a diplomat to make peace if you kill enough of them for long enough (Elves don't do this as far as I've seen) but that's only if their civ shows a diplomat in the civ screen (killing the diplomat off doesn't seem to get a new one appointed in the current version).

See how long you can last with 3 or 4 races continually ambushing & sieging your fortress. Should provide an interesting distraction while you build your fortress killing mechanism & may even do the job for you.
I bursted out laughing so hard at this that my dog woke up, came in the room, and looked at me like I'm an idiot.

Then proceeded to brag about how he has 27 kills on his kill list and is super-doggenly tough. 

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2010, 12:46:28 pm »

Create a stockpile that only accepts masterwork items and artifacts.  Pit all of them into magma, bottomless pit, or atom smasher.  Have fun.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.
Pages: [1] 2