Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 25

Author Topic: The Development Game(Era I: The Tribe)  (Read 25051 times)

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
Re: The Development Game(Era I: The Tribe)
« Reply #165 on: February 21, 2010, 01:23:04 pm »

Wait, how did Org and Shades not starve? Did they just eat the rabbits whole or something?
because. We are GODS.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 21, 2010, 01:32:28 pm »

Instead of removing the sun god, why not give it an animal form? I know of at least one tradition where the sun god is a robin.

Because than it wont be the High God.

Faden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 21, 2010, 01:36:34 pm »

It's the only one that would fly, that seems pretty special to me.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 21, 2010, 01:45:04 pm »

Ehhh maybe, but in the long run I think we will need something better than a animal for it. surlily this people will go though the stage where they think humans are better and deferment than animals, like where we are now. for that I think we need a human god or a god that is a huge force like the sun or the earth. Perhaps Feratha can be a human-god? this should satisfy the need to have animal gods now and human gods later.

I vote that Feratha takes the shape of a human.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 21, 2010, 01:47:45 pm »

Oh, and as a footnote, it really doesn't matter whether you believe in deities in real life. They might be useful for something in-game, and we should see if we can get something from them, and set up some nice rigorous tests as soon as we can.
I'm well aware of that, and fairly certain that nobody here believes in Amku the bear god. My Elder-councilman is a skeptic of religion. He will probably remain as such, but that probably won't stop him from becoming a high-priest, with all the political power that entails.

You guys good with this?

C5 Elders and Children go southwest, carrying as much as possible, then pray for a good hunt
C3 Hunters go SW, carrying rabbits, then hunt
C5 Hunters go SW, carrying as much as possible, then hunt
C5 Gatherers go SW, carrying as much as possible, then gather
Formerly C5, now B6 Elders remove the Sun God to combine Natural and Risen Paganism
C9 Gatherers gather 1 turn, then plant 1 turn

Works for me, but I don't think we can simply combine the religions like that. Instead, we must convince the tribe that the most powerful of gods is strong enough that He does not need an animal form.

I vote that Feratha takes the shape of a human.[/b]
Why must He be reduced to our level? We are weak compared to these hypothetical gods, so perhaps He is that large circle of light.

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 21, 2010, 04:01:22 pm »

The sun god is a human. He has created us superior to all other creatures.
How's that?
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 21, 2010, 04:08:04 pm »

True true, we do not want to demean Feratha by putting him on our level. How about his first and favorite son is a human god and all the other gods are his children too?

Faden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 21, 2010, 04:11:24 pm »

Does he have a wife?

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 21, 2010, 04:34:58 pm »

Well that is one way to get children. As a god me could have willed them in to being or split his own blood or something... or maybe some he invented the internet... Budum-tish...

Sorry.

Anyway if he does have a wife it should be the earth.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 22, 2010, 03:47:13 am »

C5 Elders and Children go southwest, carrying as much as possible, then pray for a good hunt

Why do we keep moving these people, better to get them in a stable location and bring food too them, also we can work on getting fishing going if we settle near a river.

C3 Hunters go SW, carrying rabbits, then hunt
C5 Hunters go SW, carrying as much as possible, then hunt

I'd recommend splitting the hunters into two groups of 5 and sending them in differnt directions, moveing one turn away from the village and one turn hunting until either we find
a) a good location to hunt
b) find hunting right now really isn't worth the effort
c) get to the point we are carrying too enough and so make the return trip back to the elders/children/settlement

Either that or use one group of hunters to try and fish or improve a settlement and the other group hunts.

C5 Gatherers go SW, carrying as much as possible, then gather
Formerly C5, now B6 Elders remove the Sun God to combine Natural and Risen Paganism
C9 Gatherers gather 1 turn, then plant 1 turn[/b]

Due to planting where we are I'd suggest C7 for the settlement, it's lightly wooded. (d6 might be a good choice though because it's hill too which is always nice for defence/building/shelter/etc
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
  • Multi-classing : Because wizards run out of spells
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 22, 2010, 01:34:58 pm »

I'm in agreement with Shades about moving our people so much. Let us find some caves in the hills and establish that as our 'home' while we spend the time about foraging and hunting for food.

And I realize that hunting seems somewhat 'ineffective' but keep in mind there is a reason that it is still a well-practiced method of obtaining food. Large game could easily feed the whole group for weeks and in winters it became almost the only 'stable' food source.

Also, RNG, for clarification, how are we doing the whole food transport issue? Shall we assume that people return with the food and take the food with them when they go hunt? (Otherwise micromanagement will really bog this thing down.)

So, in response to Shades' recommendations. Split the hunters into three groups of 3. (Players can be leaders) And have them spend more time out farther from our sites hunting. When they can't carry more ... return. The remaining hunter can stay and prepare the animals and tan hides.

I oppose using religion as a mechanism of political power and will vote down any attempts to become 'High Priest'. For now.
I like dogs... with a little bit of garlic and salt...

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 22, 2010, 02:35:10 pm »

Also, RNG, for clarification, how are we doing the whole food transport issue? Shall we assume that people return with the food and take the food with them when they go hunt? (Otherwise micromanagement will really bog this thing down.)
I've just been abstracting that out. Units away from camp eat the camp's food, because they brought it with them or something. Units still need to bring stuff they gather back though, since they can only carry so much. I might end up abstracting that out, too, though I'm not sure yet. I know that when this game advanced into the city-state stage(which I hope it will at some point, though it really depends on how well you  guys do) I will certainly be removing a lot of micromanagement aspects that are in right now. 

Anyway, you all have another day or two... or seven, or something like that to come up with a turn. I'm sick right now, and don't feel like updating any of my games. If I did, I would probably half-ass it and mess stuff up.

Cheddarius, you're doing a wonderful job compiling all the votes and making it easy to figure out what to do instead of having to dig through the thread looking for the decided actions. Please keep it up. You would certainly have my vote for great elder if I was in the game... heh.

The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 22, 2010, 07:36:28 pm »

I don't think we should shuttle food to the elders/children. What's the point? You're just wasting AP sending it to them, and it's not like they're going to be doing anything anyway.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 22, 2010, 08:06:54 pm »

I don't think we should shuttle food to the elders/children. What's the point? You're just wasting AP sending it to them, and it's not like they're going to be doing anything anyway.
So you think gathered supplies should just be automatically transported back to the base camp? Hmm...

What are other's opinions on this?
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 22, 2010, 08:12:26 pm »

Er, that was actually a response to Shades above. He was against moving the Elders and Children around, and I noted that there really wasn't anything else for them to do anyway. Better the Elders and Children moving around than Gatherers who need that AP to gather and such.
Plus, it's not like we have a choice. We tried settling, and the food and game ran out and we nearly starved.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 25