Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 25

Author Topic: The Development Game(Era I: The Tribe)  (Read 24966 times)

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
The Development Game(Era I: The Tribe)
« on: February 18, 2010, 05:57:05 pm »

As I was reading the DF forums, I got the idea for a new game. It goes like this: You are a member of a small tribe of 30 people. You are not just any member though; you are a member of the elder council, and the tribesmen look to the council for decisions. Your dream is to bring your tribe out of the stone age and develop a full-fledged civilization. In fact, this game is a lot like Civilization, however it is not a computer program, which has pros and cons. The benefit is that you can literally do anything you wish. The downside is that you will have to wait quite a bit between turns...

At the moment, I will looking for around 5 council members who have time to devote to the game. If you do not want to be a council member, you can be a regular tribesman and offer suggestions or advice to the council members every now and then. The council members ultimately make the decisions though. These can literally be anything, ranging from building houses, irrigating farms, meeting with the leaders of other tribes, and even appointing new council members or kicking existing ones out of the council, or even exiling tribesmen from the tribe. These decisions will effect both the productivity of your tribe and the approval of the citizens. Citizens with a low approval will begin to make demands. Unfulfilled demands may lead to rebellion! Keep the tribe fed and happy, and you will do well.

If you wish to join, please post the position you wish to fill. The position must be an open NPC. For example, there is 5 Council Members, 10 Hunters and 10 Gathers to start. You must pick one of capable tribe members, and may not be a child. More positions will become available later when more jobs are possible. You may also post any additional information you wish.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
Re: The Development Game(Era I: The Tribe)
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 05:57:57 pm »

Turn 0:

Your tribe of hunter-gathers stands on a grassy plain. You know a little about the surrounding area. To the northwest there is lightly wooded forest. Game and wild plants are plentiful there. To the north-east there are hills. The hills have sparse vegetation. To the east there is more grassy plains, and to the south-west you see some forest.

The Tribe:
H1 - Hunters 1
5 Council Members
10 Hunters
 - Shortbow & Arrows
10 Gatherers
5 Children

Supplies
10 Sharpened Rocks
10 Lengths of Sinew
10 Tanned Hides
40 Deer Meat
40 Wild Berries

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 06:00:44 pm »

I'll be on the council of elders.
Offer 5 of the berries to the gods by burying them in the ground.
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 06:06:13 pm »

I'll be on the council of elders.
Offer 5 of the berries to the gods by burying them in the ground.
You don't have any gods yet. Because of this, you do have the privilege of creating them and worshiping them however you like. Whether the other tribemembers accept those gods and start worshiping them or not depends on events in the game. As I mentioned earlier, everything that happens is a result of the council's decisions. This includes technological progress and the the development of civilization.

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 06:14:19 pm »

Alright. I'll say that I understand the origin of the universe from a dream. There is a god for every animal, and the human god is the one that created us. However, if the other animal gods are going to help us (like the rabbit god giving us fertility, as well as being ok with us hunting rabbits) then we need to offer things. Planting berries in the ground will appease the rabbit god.
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
  • Multi-classing : Because wizards run out of spells
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 06:28:17 pm »

(I'll join.)

Yes, but why does it appease the rabbit god? Rabbits don't really eat berries, or even shrubs. Shouldn't we send some of the gatherers to the plains to pick clover as an offering to the rabbit god? (Which I approve of doing, despite my nay-saying.)

*Have two of the hunters remain in camp and work on making the tanned hides into sturdier clothing to wear. (Should be bones aplenty to use for needles and we do have sinew.)* (They'll also serve as additional protection against incursions of wild beasts!)
I like dogs... with a little bit of garlic and salt...

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 06:33:34 pm »

I gon' be an elder, yo.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 06:45:53 pm »

Elder Frederick XV, awake and ready to argue about the future.

I'm tired of this rain we've been having. I feel we should send the gatherers to the forest to gather sturdy sticks. I think we might be able to drape animal skins over them, to keep the rain away.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 06:48:53 pm by Nirur Torir »

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 06:48:37 pm »

Excellent! 4/5 elders. Now we just need your orders. Several tribesmen are tasked with collecting and burying plants, and some will make clothes, which is good because everyone is essentially running around naked right now. A large portion are lacking jobs, however.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 06:50:50 pm by RandomNumberGenerator »

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 06:50:18 pm »

I suggest that some create stone knives and axes.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 06:54:00 pm »

I see no reason to risk the hunters right now, as we have plenty of food. I say let them create the knives and axes.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2010, 07:01:00 pm »

Will both of us supporting this mean that it'll definitely go through?

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2010, 07:17:13 pm »

Will both of us supporting this mean that it'll definitely go through?

All orders and requests will go through unless there is opposition. Opposition can be from other council members, which is the most likely result for a while, and opposition can also come from citizens when your civilization begins to develop more. In the case of opposition, there must be majority (51% or more in favor) to pass. I should also mention that if one or more council members have not posted, turns may be speed up. If enough time has passed, a majority of the council can elect to end the turn and proceed to the next .

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2010, 07:21:20 pm »

So for the 51% thing, how much is an elder worth? If an elder proposes something, that's 100% in favor, and most people abstaining. If an elder proposes and another opposes, that's 50/50. So what if an elder is fighting 10 civilians? What are they worth in terms of voting power?

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2010, 07:25:06 pm »

I will be a council member.

I think our gathers should gather stuff in the plains to the south.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 25