Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dealing With Enemy Clothing  (Read 1534 times)

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dealing With Enemy Clothing
« on: February 18, 2010, 01:55:09 pm »

So you beat up some goblins and they have left corpses, blood, weapons, armor and clothing everywhere. Aside from the blood and clothing everything else is relatively easy to deal with (melt the armor and maybe the weapons, use the acceptable weapons, throw the body on the refuse pile and wait for the bones to appear). Yes you can sell the clothing but it doesn't contribute to fortress wealth, unless you decorate it.

The options as I see them
1. Naked Goblins and Kobolds: remove all clothing tags from the entity entries. No clothes, no problem. Downside is that the siege might freeze to death in cold climates (not such a bad thing but it might steal kills from your dwarves).

2. A reaction to turn clothing into thread (you could do cloth, but cloth has a quality multiplier on it). It would probably look something like

Code: [Select]
[REAGENT:1:ITEM_ARMOR:NO_SUBTYPE:PLANT:GRASS_TAIL_PIG]
[PRODUCT:100:1:THREAD:PLANT:GRASS_TAIL_PIG]

The downside though is that it will work on any clothing in the stockpile, which would be annoying, especially if it targets a Masterwork (or a triple masterwork, weaving, dyeing and sewing).

3. As #2 but edit the clothing choices for all the races so that the enemy races all wear clothing the normal races don't (ITEM_PANTS_PANTS_EVIL instead of ITEM_PANTS_PANTS) and build the reactions to only target those clothing types.

4. Not possible at this time, but maybe in the future we will be able to target reactions on clothing that is NARROW, SMALL, LARGE, or STOUT.

Am I missing any options? Will that reaction even work? General thoughts on the matter?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Dealing With Enemy Clothing
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 02:06:53 pm »

Some mods, like Relentless Assault, actually produce seiging civ races that will attack without much equipment for this very purpose.

Honestly, I just trade away the stuff like the useless crap it is - if I want 30,000 dbs of goods from the merchants, I offer 30,000 dbs of my own fortress's production, and then 50,000 dbs of goblinite.

Just makes the merchants happier, and it only really requires the hauling labor time to get them onto the pile.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 03:36:13 pm »

Well I don't like huge loads of crap outside.

At least I've made reactions which turn wooden armor to coal, thus I get rid of elven junk. Specific items to thread looks like a nice reaction for me.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 04:04:31 pm »

At least I've made reactions which turn wooden armor to coal, thus I get rid of elven junk. Specific items to thread looks like a nice reaction for me.

Noted, I'll add some wooden items to my fuel reactions list (I already have ones to convert plant thread and cloth to charcoal).

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 02:20:04 am »

Well you could abstract all the clothing bits into Goblin Outfits with max up and down steps.  Modding up the coverage enough should prevent them from freezing.  Plus then you should be able to set up a reaction just for those, to make thread or charcoal or something.   
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 03:43:05 am »

Noted, I'll add some wooden items to my fuel reactions list (I already have ones to convert plant thread and cloth to charcoal).
Here: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=44513.0
You can grab all reactions for it. (2nd post in the thread)
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 11:24:33 am »

Magma trap seems like the best solution to me.  Even if you want your soldiers to gain experience, you could station them inside the trap, wait for the screaming to stop, then haul the corpses, vacate the soldiers, and pull the lever.  Anything that survives the magma bath is then mass-designated for melting.

If you make the trap and corridor up to it aboveground/light, and set only soldiers can go outside for the duration of the siege, then you can safely have corpses only not autoforbidden, and they'll get refuse piled once you allow all dwarves to go outside.  That would let you get the bones and skulls too, with the least micromanagement.
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 02:28:28 pm »

Some mods, like Relentless Assault, actually produce seiging civ races that will attack without much equipment for this very purpose.

Honestly, I just trade away the stuff like the useless crap it is - if I want 30,000 dbs of goods from the merchants, I offer 30,000 dbs of my own fortress's production, and then 50,000 dbs of goblinite.

Just makes the merchants happier, and it only really requires the hauling labor time to get them onto the pile.

Those objects don't get abstracted out when the merchants leave the map border. The wagon is still there, carrying everything you exported. When you finally abandon the fortress, if you go to the civilization's home site, you'll find wagons, pack mules, and scattered bullshit everywhere--the goblinite you exported. I did this with Bustnut a long time ago after losing a year's progress to a crash and indeed, the Dwarves' home site had wagons carrying tens of thousands of roasts and microcline doors and floodgates, goblin shit, elven shit (I was at war with them).

If you value your fps and don't really need the dwarfbucks you really ought not export anything except roasts, theyre the best concentration of value per tile. I use a trash compactor to get rid of goblinite. :>
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

mizipzor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 04:48:28 pm »

I do this as well, but Lets not forget the huge amount of time and effort that goes into banging the keyboard until everything has been offered to the trader. It would not be an overstatement that I spend a third of my playing time clicking through the trade list. But I do like the economy side of the fort. I just wish there was a better trade system.

xoen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010, 07:21:40 pm »

4. Not possible at this time, but maybe in the future we will be able to target reactions on clothing that is NARROW, SMALL, LARGE, or STOUT.
ooh it would be NICE...if below problem(that i was not aware of) is fixed...of course:
Those objects don't get abstracted out when the merchants leave the map border. The wagon is still there, carrying everything you exported. When you finally abandon the fortress, if you go to the civilization's home site, you'll find wagons, pack mules, and scattered bullshit everywhere--the goblinite you exported. I did this with Bustnut a long time ago after losing a year's progress to a crash and indeed, the Dwarves' home site had wagons carrying tens of thousands of roasts and microcline doors and floodgates, goblin shit, elven shit (I was at war with them).

If you value your fps and don't really need the dwarfbucks you really ought not export anything except roasts, theyre the best concentration of value per tile. I use a trash compactor to get rid of goblinite. :>

damn, so this is reason for growing massive fps loss after few trade operations(add 7 races traders coming into fortress while...siege with 40+goblins riding DRAKES to this picture :E)?
is there ANY possibility to make sold items dissapeared(lets say SOLD somewhere else...) from their mules, wagons etc?
some kind of flushmod, whatever?
it looks like i killed my fortress with that trade already(12 fps with 57 dwarves and 40 animals is NOT GOOD - my other fortress had 16 fps with 213 dwarves and 310 animals, but i was not trading leftovers at all), i do not want to start over, i like that fortress(even having sieges year by year ;s)...

..sorry for my english.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 07:32:04 pm by xoen »

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2010, 09:37:24 pm »

Well there might be a flush mod option, but I'm not sure if it would work. Clearing the map of unwanted stuff should be fairly easy by changing its boiling point to below ambient temperature but above freezing. This should cause the items on the map to boil off into a cloud of gas which dissipates  (and, if you get the temperature right, won't harm any dwarves in the process). Downside anything you made that includes that material will be destroyed, up side FPS gain. Whether it will clear out objects off the map though is anyones guess (I'm betting it won't get anything off map).

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2010, 09:55:47 pm »

Here: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=44513.0
You can grab all reactions for it. (2nd post in the thread)

Thanks.

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2010, 10:42:25 pm »

Ok so I made "Evil" versions of the clothing worn by goblins and kobolds (and removed some choices as I didn't feel like making that many reactions). All reactions convert any plant clothing into pig tail thread, any silk clothing into cave spider thread and all leather into cow leather (look 10 clothing items, 2 plant fibers, 3 silks and endless leather types made me stop at 30 reactions because enough was enough).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

xoen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2010, 11:32:57 pm »

Well there might be a flush mod option, but I'm not sure if it would work. Clearing the map of unwanted stuff should be fairly easy by changing its boiling point to below ambient temperature but above freezing. This should cause the items on the map to boil off into a cloud of gas which dissipates  (and, if you get the temperature right, won't harm any dwarves in the process). Downside anything you made that includes that material will be destroyed, up side FPS gain. Whether it will clear out objects off the map though is anyones guess (I'm betting it won't get anything off map).

Wow, i imagined consequences of using that while caravanes appear..sounds like interesting experiment :D