Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Showing the raws in the game  (Read 603 times)

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Showing the raws in the game
« on: February 18, 2010, 11:15:28 am »

Two suggestions here really.

The first is that there should be some option in the game to view the raws associated with any object. So if you see, say, a skeletal vulture and want to know things such as it's size, you could do so without having to minimize the game. Granted, as the raws get more complicated this will become less useful, but for veteran players or players studying what tags do this could be very useful.

The second is to allow the players to input comments or descriptions in the raws (maybe surrounded by [DESCRIP][/DESCRIP] tags) that come up under their own tab when view in game. These could be anything from flowery descriptions to warnings ("This is a Spirit of Fire. Run away little girl.") and would allow modders to create a semi-tutorial or add depth to their creatures without having to make the player access material outside the game to keep track of it.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

CaptApollo12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Showing the raws in the game
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 07:09:54 pm »

I like. It would have to be an init decision for players though...
"MONTARON!  You are so AGGRAVATING!   'Tis disturbing to my demeanor..."

Kilo24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Showing the raws in the game
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 07:27:57 pm »

Hmm... I'd disagree with this, *providing* that the description screen becomes robust enough to allow a player to quickly check a creature's physically evident abilities.

I'd certainly prefer to see "Tongues of flame flicker from this creature's mouth.  The powerful claws of this creature are sharp enough to scythe through several men in one swing." than "[FIREBREATH: YES] [CLAWS: 20:25]."  (Disclaimer: I'm not that familiar with the RAWs, these aren't meant to be directly correlated.)

It still could be useful to include, but I think good descriptions will obviate the desire to do check the RAWs for most players.

The second one would just be a custom description string, right?  Are we getting any of those in the next version to be pasted on creatures?  I kind of thought that we would, but I could be wrong.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 07:30:19 pm by Kilo24 »