Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Uniquely unsuited migrants  (Read 3634 times)

azazel

• Bay Watcher
  • Department of Redundancy Department
    • View Profile
Re: Uniquely unsuited migrants
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2010, 03:54:34 pm »

dying to get into your fort.
getting into my fort and dying.
マグマキッド

caknuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2010, 09:46:38 pm »

[PREFSTRING:candygrams]

"It's Grandma!"
Quote from: Primary
*Kneels before Urist Dickpuncher*

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2010, 09:49:58 pm »

I have just started a challange of sorts. I'm building a great glass tower in the desert, and making it the focus of a great big boot camp. And by boot camp, I mean 'Give them crappy weapons to do their best with, then set them against the invading goblin horde.'

I suggest you don't let them spar; that's too easy. You should turn hunting on all of them so that they always go around equipped and learn only by experience.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Cypress

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Snarker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2010, 01:03:47 am »

I have just started a challange of sorts. I'm building a great glass tower in the desert, and making it the focus of a great big boot camp. And by boot camp, I mean 'Give them crappy weapons to do their best with, then set them against the invading goblin horde.'

I suggest you don't let them spar; that's too easy. You should turn hunting on all of them so that they always go around equipped and learn only by experience.
Hmmm...that's not such a bad thought...but it's a desert, there's hardly anything to hunt
...Save for the sand sharks
The Dwarf Fortress Forums: Where we know all about tragedies. Because they are FUN.
Quote from: kinseti
If this all doesn't fix it, your dwarfs are lazy. Apply magma.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2010, 01:09:57 am »

Hmmm...that's not such a bad thought...but it's a desert, there's hardly anything to hunt
...Save for the sand sharks

That's the point. They will always be in military gear just like recruits, and they will learn only by fighting goblins just as you wish. It would not work if you were somewhere they had something to hunt.
The sigs topic:

madjoe5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2010, 01:14:11 am »

Have you SEEN the Mountainhomes?  Go explore one as an adventurer some time, and you'll understand why so many Dwarves are flocking to your fortress all the time regardless of how appropriate their profession is.  Being deadweight that has to be re-trained is still miles ahead of being a resident of a non-player-designed Mountainhome.

Put it this way: would you rather have to re-define your entire existence to live in a place where you get a cheap wooden cot to sleep on and a communal dining room to eat in, or would you prefer sleeping on cold stone and eating vermin for the rest of your life while never even doing any work (trained or otherwise) unless you happen to be a soldier?  THAT is why there's a bajillion migrants without any useful skills dying to get into your fort.

This.

Also remember that dwarves complain about not doing work.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2010, 01:17:23 am »

Everyone wants something to do. Being lazy, even playing video games and hanging out with friends isn't endlessly fulfilling. Imagine having absolutely nothing to do.
The sigs topic:

Cypress

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Snarker
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2010, 01:18:53 am »

Have you SEEN the Mountainhomes?  Go explore one as an adventurer some time, and you'll understand why so many Dwarves are flocking to your fortress all the time regardless of how appropriate their profession is.  Being deadweight that has to be re-trained is still miles ahead of being a resident of a non-player-designed Mountainhome.

Put it this way: would you rather have to re-define your entire existence to live in a place where you get a cheap wooden cot to sleep on and a communal dining room to eat in, or would you prefer sleeping on cold stone and eating vermin for the rest of your life while never even doing any work (trained or otherwise) unless you happen to be a soldier?  THAT is why there's a bajillion migrants without any useful skills dying to get into your fort.

This.

My problem is still this
Coming to my fort= almost certain death
Mountain home= boredom
Almost Certain death !> boredom
The Dwarf Fortress Forums: Where we know all about tragedies. Because they are FUN.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2010, 02:17:17 am »

This.

My problem is still this
Mountain home= boredom

It's more than boredom.  They subsist on water and vermin there.  Every other year they're forced to fend for themselves, unarmed and malnourished, against invasions from Goblins.  Only the mythical powers of worldgen keep them from dying of anything but weapons or old age.  Living in the Mountainhomes is akin to Purgatory, and death is a welcome alternative for these poor migrants.  Why do you think they're always "quite content" when they arrive at your fort even if it's a deathtrap?
Sanity is for the weak.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2010, 02:18:47 am »

Not all of us have fortresses of death. It's just that the hapless post constantly about their screw-ups and dead dwarves, and the sadistic post constantly about their murder. The vast majority of players are neither incompetent nor get their kicks from imagining dwarves dying in one way or another.
The sigs topic:

Cypress

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Snarker
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2010, 02:44:28 am »

Not all of us have fortresses of death. It's just that the hapless post constantly about their screw-ups and dead dwarves, and the sadistic post constantly about their murder. The vast majority of players are neither incompetent nor get their kicks from imagining dwarves dying in one way or another.
You misread. I'll add emphisis
Coming to This fortress = almost certain death

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2010, 03:12:57 am »

This.

My problem is still this
Mountain home= boredom
The question is, do they know that their immigration is probably soon to be followed by death, or do they immigrate in naivety? Dwarven caravans pretty much base the tales they tell to the mountainhome on your fortress wealth versus the number of deaths that year. So if your population is small, you have to lose a huge percentage of it for people to be adequately deterred. And the only three ways to drive down wealth are trading, atomsmashing and letting things be stolen.

I like to send dwarves crazy by putting their first masterwork outside for a year. If it gets stolen the dwarf loses their marbles (at least unless they've made many more masterworks by then), and if it doesn't then they get to keep working.

Spaghetti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2010, 03:27:35 am »

every peasant sap maker and other useless things dependignon the place gets drafted with no equpment

first wave of my army

IF they live they get nicknamed and awarded armor and weapons.

Also seeing the mountain homes in adventuer mode i think they have interesting lives (even though they  have practicly no defenses and STUFF.) I got a bunch of messeges about the king strangling random stuff to death.

to make it more fun for me i rarely use crossbowdwarves,

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mutant Cheese Monster
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2010, 08:06:03 am »

Yeah. Its way too easy to build a stable, safe fortress in the current version, even for a newbie. I am not very new, but I am STILL playing only my 4th fortress ever. I just read the forums and wiki enough to be prepared.

Its too easy. I have had dozens of deaths a year from abbushes and mistakes and all kinds of things. Still get immigrants, still no tantrums. MASSIVE sieges die by merely running into my traps. I don't even have to close the front doors to raise the drawbridge!

I am way excited for the next version and all the excitement it will hold  ;D I want to have Fun!

I stopped playing fortress mode for now because I am having no Fun. Instead I have been playing Modded Adventure mode (modded to HOLY CRAP difficulty). (I was thinking of trying dig deeper fortress mode, but couldn't figure out how to get either Mayday's or RR's tileset to work with it (and yes, I can handle the new creatures not having graphics. I mostly want the tiles for the dwarves and everything but creatures.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 08:10:00 am by Volatar »
Quote from: Vilien
Yes, you should always apply more magma.

azazel

• Bay Watcher
  • Department of Redundancy Department
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2010, 12:43:05 pm »

Yeah. Its way too easy to build a stable, safe fortress in the current version, even for a newbie. I am not very new, but I am STILL playing only my 4th fortress ever. I just read the forums and wiki enough to be prepared.

Its too easy. I have had dozens of deaths a year from abbushes and mistakes and all kinds of things. Still get immigrants, still no tantrums. MASSIVE sieges die by merely running into my traps. I don't even have to close the front doors to raise the drawbridge!
See, that's your problem. Traps are insanely overpowered. It's harder to run a stable, secure fortress when you don't use traps or crossbows.
マグマキッド
Pages: 1 [2] 3