Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Uniquely unsuited migrants  (Read 3623 times)

Cypress

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Snarker
    • View Profile
Uniquely unsuited migrants
« on: February 18, 2010, 03:16:17 am »

I have just started a challange of sorts. I'm building a great glass tower in the desert, and making it the focus of a great big boot camp. And by boot camp, I mean 'Give them crappy weapons to do their best with, then set them against the invading goblin horde.'
I just got my first wave of migrants, which is admittedly kind of annoying, seeing as I'm not ready, but time waits for no man. In any case, I checked the professions of some of the dwaves coming in.
Fish Discectors. At least five of them. In the middle of the Desert? What were you expecting to fillet, sand sharks!?
EDIT: Got a wood cutter too. In a desert. And not one of the nice deserts with saguaro in, no, there are no trees here...at least he brought his own axe.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 03:21:51 am by Cypress »
The Dwarf Fortress Forums: Where we know all about tragedies. Because they are FUN.
Quote from: kinseti
If this all doesn't fix it, your dwarfs are lazy. Apply magma.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
Re: Uniquely unsuited migrants
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 03:56:49 am »

sand sharks!?

I think I now know what my game is missing.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 04:03:27 am by Shade-o »
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Raging Mouse

• Bay Watcher
  • The mouse has become enraged! *DOUBLECLICK*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 04:06:02 am »

Hmmm well there is a land shark in D&D...

Cypress

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Snarker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 04:27:37 am »

sand sharks!?

Right, how do I put those in the game? I want to show those Fish disectors that they have to do some bloody work
The Dwarf Fortress Forums: Where we know all about tragedies. Because they are FUN.

azazel

• Bay Watcher
  • Department of Redundancy Department
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 04:40:18 am »

Fish Discectors. At least five of them. In the middle of the Desert? What were you expecting to fillet, sand sharks!?

Actually, I think it makes more sense than you might think. Look at it this way, you're a young dwarf, toiling away in the fisheries of the mountainhomes (...), abused by the senior fish dissector and scorned by your father because you're not DOING anything with your life. What do you do? When you hear about a new outpost having been .. outposted? erected? Why, you abandon your old life, seeking riches, fame and fortune in the new outpost. When you arrive, they inquire as to what you can do, and you say that you were a fish dissector, because honesty is a good thing - it doesn't necessarily mean you enjoy doing it.

That's how I view it. All those useless dwarves are merely people seeking to make their own way in life. The useful dwarves have other reasons for joining your outpost, obviously.
マグマキッド

Cypress

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Snarker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 04:50:09 am »

Actually, I think it makes more sense than you might think. Look at it this way, you're a young dwarf, toiling away in the fisheries of the mountainhomes (...), abused by the senior fish dissector and scorned by your father because you're not DOING anything with your life. What do you do? When you hear about a new outpost having been .. outposted? erected? Why, you abandon your old life, seeking riches, fame and fortune in the new outpost. When you arrive, they inquire as to what you can do, and you say that you were a fish dissector, because honesty is a good thing - it doesn't necessarily mean you enjoy doing it.

That's how I view it. All those useless dwarves are merely people seeking to make their own way in life. The useful dwarves have other reasons for joining your outpost, obviously.
Your point is well made, and had I put my fortress anywhere else, I would agree with you. But my fortress is smack dab in the middle of a desert. The only reason I chose the spot (aside from, you know, Fun potential) is the fact that there's a goblin tower in the mountains nearby, and I want to fight some gobbos.
Oh, and an update. I'm down to four fish dissectors, after the fifth one fell into the well and drowned before a rescue ramp could be made. I find a sick, Sick irony to be present here.

azazel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 04:58:57 am »

"Anything's better than this dump!"

Also, to have been part of a megaproject has value in and of itself, and should he survive (less likely since the fortress is run by a player) it's definitely something to brag about.

That is, if you care about reasons. :P
マグマキッド

Cypress

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Snarker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 05:02:49 am »

"Anything's better than this dump!"

Also, to have been part of a megaproject has value in and of itself, and should he survive (less likely since the fortress is run by a player) it's definitely something to brag about.

That is, if you care about reasons. :P
Reasons are for other people!
I highly suspect that none outside of my starting seven will survive, in all honesty. I've kinda designed a high turnover rate into this fortress

azazel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 05:11:57 am »

Well, I like to keep it internally consistent, at least. They come seeking fame and fortune, what awaits them is usually no beds (since I seem to embark on tree-less maps beds are secondary to barrels until I can get my metalworks up and running, if I have magma) and a violent and unnecessary death. In its own way poetic.
マグマキッド

Cypress

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Snarker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 05:21:45 am »

Well, I like to keep it internally consistent, at least. They come seeking fame and fortune, what awaits them is usually no beds (since I seem to embark on tree-less maps beds are secondary to barrels until I can get my metalworks up and running, if I have magma) and a violent and unnecessary death. In its own way poetic.
Oh, they also find sandsharks waiting for them
So many sandsharks...

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 06:20:34 am »

sand sharks!?

Right, how do I put those in the game? I want to show those Fish disectors that they have to do some bloody work
If you want your fish dissectors to do anything you'll have to use a different version of the sandshark. Fish dissectors only dissect things with [FISHITEM], and I'm pretty sure they only dissect vermin.

Note that you will have to regen a world after adding this to one of your creature raws, otherwise it won't appear anywhere.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2010, 09:00:58 am »

[PREFSTRING:candygrams]
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Torgen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2010, 11:52:56 am »

Well, if you were a disgruntled fish dissector, wouldn't you CHOOSE the one place where you'd never have to gut another ****ing trout again the rest of your life?

Makes sense to me!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2010, 12:14:39 pm »

As for putting them into your game, you actually have a problem:

Adding a new creature requires generating a new world.

There are, however, some work-arounds to this problem.  The most direct solution is to simply find something that would spawn in a desert (because that population has already spawned in your locatoin), and delete everything about it except for the first line, where the game engine name is used.  You can then copy-paste in all the data for a landshark, including the in-game displayed name of landshark.

It would probably be best to use a largish land predator for this purpose. 

Remember that if you are going to be overwriting the data of a creature that is already on your map, you can't change their size.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2010, 02:55:23 pm »

Have you SEEN the Mountainhomes?  Go explore one as an adventurer some time, and you'll understand why so many Dwarves are flocking to your fortress all the time regardless of how appropriate their profession is.  Being deadweight that has to be re-trained is still miles ahead of being a resident of a non-player-designed Mountainhome.

Put it this way: would you rather have to re-define your entire existence to live in a place where you get a cheap wooden cot to sleep on and a communal dining room to eat in, or would you prefer sleeping on cold stone and eating vermin for the rest of your life while never even doing any work (trained or otherwise) unless you happen to be a soldier?  THAT is why there's a bajillion migrants without any useful skills dying to get into your fort.
Sanity is for the weak.
Pages: [1] 2 3