Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: Deus Ex 3  (Read 10216 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Deus Ex 3
« Reply #90 on: June 11, 2010, 03:57:35 pm »

And I agree, Square hasn't been failing quite long enough for me to lose hope. But they have lost my trust, FFXII was a huge waste of money, never even got halfway through it before getting bored. Too much dungeon crawling, and a plot that revolved around somebody who wasn't the main character.
Or was it because it was the first FF game where the entire party wasn't completely insane? Or at least, not insane without good reason? Basch is probably the only one who is batshit insane, because he isn't batshit insane,
Spoiler: even after (click to show/hide)

Yeah... let's see how Deus Ex 3 turns out.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 11, 2010, 04:51:16 pm »

Fist of all, FFX was pretty good, even if the story focused WAY too much on the sappy love story between Tidus and Yuna. Second, go play FF6. By far the greatest cast of characters in any game I have ever played.

The problem with twelve was twofold.
1. Vann is meaningless! Why is he even in the game?! His presence is unimportant, yet somehow serves to remove any excitement about following the plot.
2. The battle system stinks. I want to fight, not watch my characters do it for me. Plus they brought back the stupid magic system where you have to buy spells in stores before you can use them.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 11, 2010, 07:54:30 pm »

Fist of all, FFX was pretty good, even if the story focused WAY too much on the sappy love story between Tidus and Yuna.
Doesn't change the fact that they were all lunatics. Good game, yes. Creepy the way Rikku's brother (whose name is) Brother keeps hitting on Yuna, hell yes.

1. Vann is meaningless! Why is he even in the game?! His presence is unimportant, yet somehow serves to remove any excitement about following the plot.
2. The battle system stinks. I want to fight, not watch my characters do it for me. Plus they brought back the stupid magic system where you have to buy spells in stores before you can use them.
1. Quite true. Then again, why was Penelo there? She was Vaan's girlfriend, and had no other signifigance than that. Then again, Fran and Balthier weren't very important either, except that they owned the airship that you don't get to use for 90% of the game.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

2. Where else would they learn spells? Spontaneous knowledge? The license system was worse, though. But I suppose they had to do something to keep you from getting the top-of-the-line gear at the beginning of the game, unless they just keep that stuff out until later or jack the price up. Oh wait...

It was still pretty good, though. The graphics are sweet and the storyline isn't that bad.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 11, 2010, 08:28:53 pm »

Fist of all, FFX was pretty good, even if the story focused WAY too much on the sappy love story between Tidus and Yuna.
Doesn't change the fact that they were all lunatics. Good game, yes. Creepy the way Rikku's brother (whose name is) Brother keeps hitting on Yuna, hell yes.
Also of note: rikku and yuna are cousins. Creepy factor x2!

1. Quite true. Then again, why was Penelo there? She was Vaan's girlfriend, and had no other signifigance than that. Then again, Fran and Balthier weren't very important either, except that they owned the airship that you don't get to use for 90% of the game.

2. Where else would they learn spells? Spontaneous knowledge? The license system was worse, though. But I suppose they had to do something to keep you from getting the top-of-the-line gear at the beginning of the game, unless they just keep that stuff out until later or jack the price up. Oh wait...
1. Balthier had some significance, if only due to his relationship with Cid. Apparently he or Basch was supposed to be the main character(hence him calling himself "The leading man"), and Vann was an afterthought put in so that the hero would be the same age as in all the other games: a teenager.

2. It's magic. How do you BUY magic? You level up, get more experienced, and figure out how to work bigger spells. Makes more sense than selling magic to me.

It's the only Final Fantasy I haven't finished, mainly because I couldn't stand the battle system, and character customization was too limited. Everyone has almost the same stats, with only the armor and (easy to learn ALL of) abilities differentiating them.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 12, 2010, 01:10:27 am »

Hm... Having played through the first two, I'm noticing a few (probably obvious) links.

And on the present-game side, are we finally going to see missions themselves properly diverging based on actions?

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 14, 2010, 01:31:50 pm »

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 14, 2010, 01:57:02 pm »

Just watched that gameplay trailer on Steam to fulfill part of the current contest, and I liked what I was seeing mainly. Even if it wasn't exactly the Deus Ex of old.

I don't know why people are talking about Square-Enix, they really have nothing to do with this besides being the owners of Eidos now :P

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 04, 2011, 12:47:01 pm »

Blank
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 12:48:34 pm by Tilla »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 04, 2011, 02:07:22 pm »

<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 04, 2011, 02:15:50 pm »

Just watched that gameplay trailer on Steam to fulfill part of the current contest, and I liked what I was seeing mainly. Even if it wasn't exactly the Deus Ex of old.

The trailer is pretty, but we new the deus ex world was cool, the lack of any in game footage always worries me. Deus ex II's trailer was good as well.
Not that this means the game will be terrible either, but just that I'm not gonna make a judgement on it.

I don't know why people are talking about Square-Enix, they really have nothing to do with this besides being the owners of Eidos now :P

Because publishers are much better at advertising their name than developers so people are clueless.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]