Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Deus Ex 3  (Read 10231 times)

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
Re: Deus Ex 3
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2010, 02:34:52 pm »

fuck me, I have the original but I'm not sure it's the entire game, it ends in
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
edit:actually I just continued from the cousin's save a while ago and said I finished it, I basically scipped most of the game, now I lost it. well if it's not to expensive I'll finish it this time....
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 02:44:15 pm by Megaman »
Hello Hunam

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2010, 03:33:42 pm »

I like Deus Ex 2, altough I haven't played the original. Don't know if I want to play the original though, in that game, you have to fight against the Big Bad, while in Deus Ex 2, you can end up working for him, which is actually a pretty good expansion of freedom and choice. Yes, it is rather stupid to work for the Big Bad, but the potential for RP is intense.

I have no interest in Deus Ex 3 because it is a prequel and will not continue the storyline of Invisible War. Which is actually pretty good, as that means that your actions in Deus Ex 2 actually have some meaning and that you likely succeed in creating a utopia, rather than that "lol all endings combine together into one super-ending" that was the gimmick behind the Collapse.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 03:36:21 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2010, 03:57:01 pm »

Well the thing about DX2 is that it was a console game.
Huh? How does being released on more than one system make a game bad?
Technical limitations on certain consoles. It's why the areas in Deus Ex 2 and Thief 3 are so small. Imagine if all games today were made so that the Wii could handle it and were released in such a form for all other platforms.

Also, developers supposedly perceive console gamers as tarts who cannot comprehend something more complex than an FPS. Hence the dumbing down, or "streamlining" as the developers like to call it.

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2010, 04:13:35 pm »

Dx1 is my favourite game (sorry Toady). Dx 2 i played on consol, i thought it was ok, i liked some of the cities you go round, it had some atmosphere etc.

I dont really get hyped about hyped games these days, but ill have a look when it comes out, and if its not a rail shooter i may consider getting it
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2010, 06:25:41 pm »

I like Deus Ex 2, altough I haven't played the original. Don't know if I want to play the original though, in that game, you have to fight against the Big Bad, while in Deus Ex 2, you can end up working for him, which is actually a pretty good expansion of freedom and choice. Yes, it is rather stupid to work for the Big Bad, but the potential for RP is intense.
Deus Ex's story would make no sense if you were given the option to work for the big bad.
[spoilers]He wants to become a god, there would be no room for underlings in his new world order. Besides, you can do one better: replace the big bad entirely, and finish his plans.[/spoilers]

Also, you are correct, the way they got around the multiple endings of Deus Ex 1 was pretty cheap, and rendered your actions in the first game pointless.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Krelos

• Bay Watcher
  • Was nauseated by the sun recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2010, 06:47:28 pm »

Sequels being bad is like getting snow in winter.

You know its going to happen, you hate it and nothing you say, do or feel will make any difference.

As soon as I hear that any game will be getting a "II" my first thought is "Man, that's gonna be horrible."
Anything I do to learn about it takes the form of: How accurately can I guess what they are ruining?
The only surprise I ever get is when, occasionally, a II game looks like it might be as good or even better than the first.
I never get upset, worked up or disappointed.

So don't get upset about snow, just have fun trying to guess how deep it will be.
Quote from: Ravenplucker
Quote from: Aklyon
Quote from: smokingwreckage
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.
or maybe throw them into the large hadron collider to atom-smash them instead.
Not to mention to throw all available animals into tiny pits.

Duelmaster409

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_FIGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2010, 06:58:17 pm »

The sad part is most of you think #3's going to suck because #2s design sucks butt. Not sexy hot girl butt, hairy old man butt. If Deus Ex 2 never existed, I think the series itself would be a lot more popular than it is now. Don't judge games that haven't been released yet, you may very well get 0wned. It would be very unfortunate if you got 0wned.
Dwarf fortress: Teaching uni level geology to sadistic elf killers for years.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2010, 07:39:21 pm »

Deus Ex's story would make no sense if you were given the option to work for the big bad.

It didn't make much sense either to work for the Big Bad in Deus Ex 2. But it was fun and awesome in its own way. After all, the Big Bad doesn't want you either...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You could always design the motives of the villian to be partly sympathic, and give the player the chance to engage in self-sacrifice towards a semi-noble game. Maybe.

Also, you are correct, the way they got around the multiple endings of Deus Ex 1 was pretty cheap, and rendered your actions in the first game pointless.

At least it's better than just canonically declaring one ending the only correct one. Another good thing about it was speculating how would they combine all the endings of Deus Ex 2.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 07:43:40 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2010, 08:39:45 pm »

The sad part is most of you think #3's going to suck because #2s design sucks butt. Not sexy hot girl butt, hairy old man butt. If Deus Ex 2 never existed, I think the series itself would be a lot more popular than it is now. Don't judge games that haven't been released yet, you may very well get 0wned. It would be very unfortunate if you got 0wned.

No, as has been stated very clearly, most of us think DX3 will suck because the head designer hates almost everything that made DX1 good.

Well the thing about DX2 is that it was a console game.
Huh? How does being released on more than one system make a game bad?

DX2 was actually a pretty good game... until you compare it to the original. The Biomods were changed for the better, but the stealth element was basically removed, and the universal ammo was probably the worst change I have ever seen in a series. The original far surpassed it in both gameplay and story(especially story...) but DX2 is still far better than the majority of FPS's out there.

Worst parts of DX2 by far: Using a carefully modified sniper rifle, I took out two enemies in an apartment building, before either one could trigger an alarm... but all the friendly guards turned hostile anyway. Plus, I found a way to both kill the creator of the mag rail AND obtain it... and the game ignored my accomplishment, acting as if the scientist had survived. Also the game crashes whenever I enter the area before meeting JC(as far as I know), but that is a minor problem comparatively.[/annoyed rant]

Huh?  How does saying something is designed specifically for a console translate to saying something is designed specifically for multiple platforms?  I said DX2 was a console game, as in, it was designed for consoles.  Then poorly ported to PC.

Why do people who disagree with you always have to be so imaginative in their reading comprehension?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 08:44:15 pm by Ioric Kittencuddler »
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Aribar Hunter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2010, 10:55:02 am »

« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 08:22:22 pm by Aribar Hunter »

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2010, 11:22:13 am »

Yer I have to admit the more recent articles sound more promising. I'm still not sure about the whole stealth system as details seem to be sketchy or contradictory but I'm certainly more interested now than the first few articles made it seem.

The health system I can understand why they did it but it does make the game more run and gun than the original.

The DX1 co-op was a mod anyway (if memory serves) so maybe something similar will happen.

I'm certainly not going to pre-order it unless the previews are very good but I'm hopeful :)
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Pathos

« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2010, 11:24:17 am »

No, he hated certain features of Deus Ex.

It's which features those were that's killed my interest.

The stealth, needing to think all the time, and the GURPS-style skill system. And the pacing.
So he can go f**k himself.

What an utter dick. The features that defined the game are the ones he wants to take out. Sure, give the game more possibilities, but make them fringe abilities. If people want to make a character built like a tank, let them, but make it so that is something that is harder to do than stealth about.

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2010, 02:16:38 pm »

No, he hated certain features of Deus Ex.

It's which features those were that's killed my interest.

The stealth, needing to think all the time, and the GURPS-style skill system. And the pacing.
So he can go f**k himself.

Could someone please cite where the designer actually said that?

So far I've only read the destructoid article and I'm feeling optimistic. The best thing about Deus Ex was being able to solve problems your own way, and the enthralling setting and storyline. If DX3 will be a modern game following those principals then I don't see why it can't be very good.(perhaps even worthy to its predecessor)

I would hardly say that stealth defined the first game. First time I played I couldn't even sneak up on the first terrorist. So I plowed my way through using first crowbar then nanosword. Only after replaying on higher difficulty did i consider a stealthy and nonlethal approach(expecially since I knew who the good guys were from the start).

Deus Ex 2 was indeed too different from the original and too much of a bastardization of the storyline to look back at favorably. It wasn't bad for a game. It was just too bad for something named Deus Ex.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 02:24:12 pm by Toady Two »

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2010, 04:27:38 pm »

I like universal ammo. Ultimately, it increases strategy rather than "Welp, I used up all my ammo of SuperDuperGun, guess I'll use my MegaFirePistol so I can spend all that ammo in that gun." It also made Deus Ex 2 pretty much more unique than the rest of the FPS horde out there, since you could use any gun you want, but have the opportunity cost of not using other guns.

Those universal clips do need to be more scarce though.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2010, 04:34:37 pm »

I like universal ammo. Ultimately, it increases strategy rather than "Welp, I used up all my ammo of SuperDuperGun, guess I'll use my MegaFirePistol so I can spend all that ammo in that gun." It also made Deus Ex 2 pretty much more unique than the rest of the FPS horde out there, since you could use any gun you want, but have the opportunity cost of not using other guns.

Those universal clips do need to be more scarce though.
Yes, having one ammo type for everything rather than actually saving ammo of a specific type for special enemies like explosives for mechs increases strategy. Clearly Wolfenstein 3D > Deus Ex in terms of strategy.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7