Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Deus Ex 3  (Read 10226 times)

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
Re: Deus Ex 3
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2010, 05:04:27 pm »

I like universal ammo. Ultimately, it increases strategy rather than "Welp, I used up all my ammo of SuperDuperGun, guess I'll use my MegaFirePistol so I can spend all that ammo in that gun." It also made Deus Ex 2 pretty much more unique than the rest of the FPS horde out there, since you could use any gun you want, but have the opportunity cost of not using other guns.

Those universal clips do need to be more scarce though.

Have you actually played Deus Ex?

You really wanna tell me you'd just use the rocket launcher on everything until you ran out of ammo and then switched to an assault rifle for the rest?  What did you do when you encountered something resistant to bullets and you'd used all your big gun ammo on little guys?

Using your logic there would be no reason to switch weapons at all with universal ammo, if the only reason you'd switch weapons is because you ran out of ammo then eliminating the different ammo types would also eliminate any reason to switch weapons.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 05:11:02 pm by Ioric Kittencuddler »
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2010, 05:23:31 pm »

To be fair I didn't switch weapons much in Deux Ex either. Melee and stealth where my styles.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2010, 07:29:15 pm »

And Desus Ex one was released for consoles without to much lost in content. Actually none as I can tell.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2010, 07:31:18 pm »

Yes, having one ammo type for everything rather than actually saving ammo of a specific type for special enemies like explosives for mechs increases strategy.

You still have to save ammo. It's more expensive (in terms of universial ammo) to use a rocket launcher than it is to use other weapons, so you still have to use powerful weapons sparingly.

No. But I have played other FPSes, Ioric, and I liked Deus Ex 2's system better.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2010, 11:58:00 pm »

I've played Deus Ex (awesome).  My brother has played that and Deus Ex 2.

He warned me not to be upset about Deus Ex 2 - he calls it a good game, but a bad Deus Ex.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2010, 12:36:41 am »

Yes, having one ammo type for everything rather than actually saving ammo of a specific type for special enemies like explosives for mechs increases strategy.

You still have to save ammo. It's more expensive (in terms of universial ammo) to use a rocket launcher than it is to use other weapons, so you still have to use powerful weapons sparingly.

No. But I have played other FPSes, Ioric, and I liked Deus Ex 2's system better.

And when you have different types of ammo you have to save specific types of ammo.  Hence, more strategic.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2010, 01:04:13 am »

It can be strategy it can also be hand tying.

The universal ammo system is neat. It lets you worry less about ammo, though it broke immersion for me, as I couldnt believe in universal ammo.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2010, 03:03:58 am »

The universal ammo system is neat. It lets you worry less about ammo, though it broke immersion for me, as I couldnt believe in universal ammo.

You can consider it hand tying, but that doesn't make it less strategic than universal ammo.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2010, 04:05:12 am »

You can consider it hand tying, but that doesn't make it less strategic than universal ammo.

I didn't say it was hand tying I said it can be.

It depends on the balance of ammunition abundance vs. expected ammunition gains and expected usage vs. explicit usage.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2010, 03:21:22 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Who want's to bet Deus Ex 3 will have physics bugs this bad?
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2010, 08:37:01 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Who want's to bet Deus Ex 3 will have physics bugs this bad?
Where is that? I never say many bugs in the first one.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2010, 09:07:57 pm »

I am not hopeful.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2010, 09:29:39 pm »

It was just outside the superfrighter that you have to use LAMs to scuttle.  I went out of my way to get those unconscious sailors off the ship, putting them on the entry ramp (minimum-bystander-causality play through.  Not good enough for no kill yet).  After dealing sufficient damage to the ship, I went down and entered the ramp code a second time to lower it.  The sailors stayed right where they were.

It's gonna hurt when they wake up.
Just so I remember

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2010, 09:39:25 pm »

Hm. The only ways I know of for no-kill runs in DX1 and DX2 is to work with Helios, and quite frankly, I despite Helios. Is there a way to do a no-kill run without getting the Helios ending?
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2010, 09:40:36 pm »

I never played Deus Ex until recently, and I'm kinda watching someone stream it instead of finishing it myself.

Squeenix is quite masterful at the art of milking something beyond dry.

Quote from: Wikipedia article
In the Deus Ex games, augmentations are body modifications that allow the user superhuman abilities. While the previous two games focused on nanite-based augmentations, Deus Ex: Human Revolution will instead feature mechanical augmentations.
So we're gonna be like Gunther Hermann or something this time, huh?  That's pretty cool.

Every squad will have an identifiable squad leader that will direct the team's actions. If killed, the squad falls into disarray.
I'm hoping but not expecting them to handle this better than Dynasty Warriors, where if you kill a squad captain all his dudes run screaming for the nearest despawn point.  I am hoping they will sorta fail to coordinate threatening offensives, but not forget that staying behind cover keeps you from getting shot.

They believe their regenerating health model will still encourage tactical and strategy forming retreats, but not to the extent where the tension and flow of the game is disrupted.
What about tactical and strategic fighting, where you have the secondary goal of not getting shot in the firsts place, and sneaking actually means something pays off in the form of avoiding a conflict that might cost you resources with actual value?

And actually,
While the previous two games focused on nanite-based augmentations, Deus Ex: Human Revolution will instead feature mechanical augmentations.

...Also it's a prequel.
This sudden acquisition of superior technology bothers me.  Denton could have it, but it cost battery power, etc..

Also, I'm remembering that one guy at the start, who thought the augmented guys were supposed to be "badass killing machines".  No real point in not being one, I guess.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7