Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Adding and removing areas of the map.  (Read 1861 times)

lucusLoC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adding and removing areas of the map.
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2010, 01:19:09 pm »

say i have a cister filling in district 1. it will take a year to fill. i then switch to district 2 for a few months. now i go back to district 1, in what state do i find the cisetern?

waht do dorfs do in inactive districts? how are jobs handled? moods?

i am not saying these are impossible (the dorf iss ue could be handeled with a management ai, for example) but the issue is that you actualy need to wind up with 2 active forts for it to work, or the entire world needs to become one giant embark and you only interact with the districts to save scroling everywhere. . . .
Quantum dumps are proof of "memory" being a perfectly normal dimension in DF. ~Gazz

teloft

• Bay Watcher
  • We found the zirilid stream
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2010, 01:38:27 pm »

say i have a cister filling in district 1. it will take a year to fill. i then switch to district 2 for a few months. now i go back to district 1, in what state do i find the cisetern?

waht do dorfs do in inactive districts? how are jobs handled? moods?

i am not saying these are impossible (the dorf iss ue could be handeled with a management ai, for example) but the issue is that you actualy need to wind up with 2 active forts for it to work, or the entire world needs to become one giant embark and you only interact with the districts to save scroling everywhere. . . .

These are questions that needs to be adressed,  hopefully and idealy this can still be parts of the same fort, like say the dwarfs n district 3 could evacuate the district in dangerous times and find refuge in district 1.

The production in each district could also be handeld indepentently. 

The ideal is that resource heavy compoments will be turnd off for the inactive district, while drawf development, relationships, and average production can still be active.  The question of how to handle the calculations is the real one.
We found the zirilid stream

lucusLoC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2010, 02:14:10 pm »

The ideal is that resource heavy compoments will be turnd off for the inactive district, while drawf development, relationships, and average production can still be active.  The question of how to handle the calculations is the real one.

that is what i was getting at. there is no way to turn anything off and keep a consistant state. turning off things like temperture and flows can get any waterworks you set up wrong. turing off pathing means that combat, job times and constructoins can get messed up. offloading item enumeration means that all kinds of things with just about everything can go wrong.

(incidentaly, my spell checker seems to have stopped functioning. no wonder my last few posts had no spelling errors. i thought that was funny)
Quantum dumps are proof of "memory" being a perfectly normal dimension in DF. ~Gazz

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2010, 02:32:52 pm »

Well, I read a little bit and all I could think of is the army and kingdom arcs. This is all irrelevant judging by that. Don't be offended, I just mean that this point is moot in view of the changes planned for the time when Toady gets around to handling things outside of your embark area.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

lucusLoC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2010, 03:04:28 pm »

that is a valid point, but i think waht we were discussing was, in effect, multiple player managed forts.

that may indeed be what toady has in mind for the kingdoms and armies arc, but the above questions still need to be handled.

my assumption on the kingdoms and armies arcs was that certain sites wold be abstracted out and/or it was not nessisary to preserve specific data on those sites, which would make a lot of the above issues moot. you would got to the site, do your thing and leave, throwing out a lot of data that does not need to be kept. you actual embark site, meanwhile, would continue to run in full simulation in the background or something, or perhaps would be paused until you got back, and history would have to catch up. 
Pages: 1 [2]