Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: War pupp... er, dog armor!  (Read 1914 times)

Andeerz

• Bay Watcher
  • ...likes cows for their haunting moos.
    • View Profile
War pupp... er, dog armor!
« on: February 17, 2010, 02:01:55 am »

War dogs should be able to be given armor...  :)  I love my adorable war puppies!  I have only seen a brief mention of this on a thread dealing with cavalry, but I am otherwise unaware of any post suggesting war dog armor...

As for historical precedent:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dogs_in_warfare

I could only imagine how terrifying it would have been to be a lightly armored foot soldier or an unarmored peasant levy and seeing a maille- and spike-collar-clad mastiff (let alone an entire attack formation of them!!!) running straight toward you with the intention of ripping your throat out.  Awr... silly puppy!!!

S.K. Ren

• Bay Watcher
  • I disbelieve and jump!!!
    • View Profile
Re: War pupp... er, dog armor!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 02:10:30 am »

Interesting... but this raises a question,

What breed are the dogs?

Pitbulls? Mastiffs? Labradors? Doxen? What?

If we get armor we should also get to breed dogs. Heavier armor for stouter and tougher dogs or lighter armor for more agile breeds in order to capitalize on strengths or minimize weaknesses is how I'd like to see this played out.
Simon-v: How do you live in a world where Everything's Trying To Kill You?
xander_morhaime: Briefly.

Shadowclaimer

• Bay Watcher
  • Looks like cat for dinner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 02:17:53 am »

They are dorfbulls, a special breed that is capable of anything and tastes really good.
Advanced Civilizations (0.40.X+)

Former creator of Metallurgy, Atum, Aquaculture, and Agriculture for Minecraft and Toxic Worlds for Starbound.

Andeerz

• Bay Watcher
  • ...likes cows for their haunting moos.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 02:54:21 am »

XD

ajar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 03:00:11 am »

War dogs should be able to be given armor...  :)  I love my adorable war puppies!  I have only seen a brief mention of this on a thread dealing with cavalry, but I am otherwise unaware of any post suggesting war dog armor...

As for historical precedent:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dogs_in_warfare

I could only imagine how terrifying it would have been to be a lightly armored foot soldier or an unarmored peasant levy and seeing a maille- and spike-collar-clad mastiff (let alone an entire attack formation of them!!!) running straight toward you with the intention of ripping your throat out.  Awr... silly puppy!!!

I see images of armored war puppies attached by chain to a plate mail of a legendary champion
And so I tell you, keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened. Jesus-

Steely Glint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 08:02:26 am »

And hey, you could always make dog-leather dog barding from the fallen...