Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: wood dwarf island?  (Read 1532 times)

Chops

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
wood dwarf island?
« on: February 16, 2010, 10:53:06 pm »

I've been a fan of DF off and on for a while now and have made a number of normal dwarf forts.  I'm sure this has been done many times before but I decided to start a new fort without using any stone at all... on an island... next to a volcano. 

Actually this is my second attempt since I have hardly any experience with volcanoes I decided to set up my inn right next to the volcano (cool natural barrier) and was annihilated by a Fire Man in the first season which caused a massive forest fire that engulfed the entire map.  Whoops.

This time I found a nice small peninsula that has a volcano just at the choke point still connected to land so that should be interesting for caravans and migrants.

I guess my goal is going to be to make a village entirely out of wood, use natural barriers and wood walls for protection and then probably collect sand to make some kind of glass super structure.  I guess I'll need a moat to defend against forest fires?  I'm not looking for spoilers on what you think will happen from your experience or any kind of successions story but I figured I would make this post to log my experiences.    I have no experience with oceans, so this should be challenge.

My starting crew is a leader/woodcutter, another full time woodcutter, two carpenter/builders, a cook, a brewer, and probably a fisherman because I fear a hunter would get torched by fire beasts.

Wish me luck!

Chops
p.s. Post if you have a suggestion for a glass super structure that would fit with this theme.  Maybe something I can put over the water? or in the water somehow?  I might go with an obsidian obelisk as another option.  I'd like to use the volcano for some sort of uber defense but i'm not sure what to do just yet.

madjoe5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: wood dwarf island?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 11:01:22 pm »

Uhh, you can't get migrants, invaders or traders (or anything on the map at all) if its an island. If you are surrounded by water on all sides, don't bother playing, unless you plan on playing with only seven dwarfs and their offspring.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 12:23:42 am »

Uhh, you can't get migrants, invaders or traders (or anything on the map at all) if its an island. If you are surrounded by water on all sides, don't bother playing, unless you plan on playing with only seven dwarfs and their offspring.
That's actually one of my forts at the moment. It's been incredibly fun, actually!

The only inhabitants of the island where a horde of elephants and a single tiger. After sectioning off a part of the island with choke points full of cage traps, I caught all the elephants (except for two, who I killed far later.) and had them in a room breeding like MAD. (Seriously, elephantsplosion.)

The tiger, in my efforts to ward her into my traps, killed my mayor and earned a name. Fortunately, the dwarf wasn't my single female, who is a miner and quickly fell in love with the other miner. So, after a bit more effort I caught the tiger and made a deep series of tunnels. Now she's allowed to prowl in my sacrificial chamber. Anyone caught unworthy will be dumped into the tiger's pit!

Yeah, they've been there for nearly a year now. I'm hoping my miners will hurry up and get married so they can pump out the kiddies. I removed [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] and I might even lower the child age. Island dwarves have to grow up quick! I'm planning on building some cool shit around the place.

The island is completely isolated on all sides.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Geb

• Bay Watcher
  • I have lost my spoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 02:30:41 am »

I tried to do this once, using an island to make a hermit game, but immigrants kept turning up anyway. Does anybody know if it's related to large map tile-regions? The island I was on was completely surrounded by ocean but the map tile it was in had land connected to the mainland in it.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 02:51:28 am »

Immigrants are just spawned if conditions are met, they aren't currently tied to the avaliability or path to your civilization.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 03:51:16 am »

Yeah, an island with water tiles around all the edge tiles will be impossible to enter for migrants.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Chops

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 02:32:45 pm »

Well the top part of my map goes to the rest of the island.  But yea, if I don't get invaders then there really isn't much point.  We'll see!

gumball135

• Bay Watcher
  • [ROBOTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 07:51:19 am »

Make a glass tower that extends over the volcano.
Make the part hanging directly over the volcano your noble quarters.
...?
Profit :)

Seriously though, good idea. Might give it a try. Are there any fire imps in the volcano?
God I hate fire imps.
You could start a zoo and end up with a natural history museum, I'm sure no one would mind.

H. Monkey

• Bay Watcher
  • More gorilla than monkey, actually
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 03:53:27 pm »

That's actually one of my forts at the moment. It's been incredibly fun, actually!
[...]
The island is completely isolated on all sides.

I just started one of these, actually.

I was stunned when, come first Autumn, a caravan showed up anyway. I hadn't built a trade depot, so no wagons appeared, but a liaison and a few dwarves with two pack-camels suddenly spawned on the beach. They don't know how to leave. They all just stand there amongst the driftwood, except the liaison, who negotiated a trade agreement. All of them went berserk eventually [...and then there were six :( ] except the camels, who became stricken with melancholy.

My guess:
This happened because the very edge of the map has a downward slope into the water, and that counts as land enough for a caravan to arrive (but apparently not leave).

I really don't want to have to deal with immigrants, though I do want another caravan to come. I want to see if a wagon will get stricken by melancholy.