Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: TRIBES - a prehistoric tale of prehistoric people doing prehistoric things  (Read 13965 times)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Once upon a time, folks lived with their own people, and did their own things. Now, these days, some folks wish we could go back to that. And some think it was barbaric, and are glad we have cities and nations. But what if you lived back then? What would you do?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 11:16:52 pm by Cruxador »

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: TRIBES - a prehistoric tale of prehistoric people doing prehistoric things
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 10:18:06 pm »

I give a write up when I get home. Not enough time left atm...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 10:28:03 pm »

I'll play.

I'm guessing that our plans will be PM'd to you? That way any sneak attacks remain sneaky.
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 10:43:21 pm »

Hey here is a better layout:

TRIBE NAME:
POPULATION: 50 men, 50 women, 25 children, 25 elderly
SKILLS:

DEITIES:

HABITAT: (para)

DIPLOMACY: (deals & trades go here)

And I'm sure you can think of more!
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 11:01:49 pm »

I'll play.

I'm guessing that our plans will be PM'd to you? That way any sneak attacks remain sneaky.
I was thinking just stick them in the thread, but anything where that might be inconvenient could certainly be PMed.
Hey here is a better layout:
The problem with this layout is that it implies a need for things people may not actually have. Indeed, the only certain thing there would be habitat. I'm quite content with people using whatever layout they want to.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 11:05:12 pm »

Are you implying that people would have nameless, empty, skill-less tribes? Besides, unless you're going for majority roleplay, you're going to need stats of some kind. In the example, the teacher had a set layout and I imagine rolled dice or something to make it random.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 11:14:59 pm »

Are you implying that people would have nameless, empty, skill-less tribes? Besides, unless you're going for majority roleplay, you're going to need stats of some kind. In the example, the teacher had a set layout and I imagine rolled dice or something to make it random.
I was not attempting to imply that. But there's no reason a tribe should have a name, and there's not any particular need, at least most of the time, to quantify population explicitly. Skills will eventually be developed, but there's no real need to start with anything in particular, and they don't need to be quantified either. Stats are rather needless, in general. If combat comes up, in any major capacity, I can figure out the proper numbers quickly and use a calculator that I made for things like this a year or two ago.

But essentially, it is intended to be majority roleplay.

Lidhuin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 12:36:17 am »

I'm game. I don't have any knowledge of or experience with "King of Dragon Pass" however. As far as secret stuff goes, I'll put that in spoilers if needed personally. Since I have no idea what is expected, I'll start small and write more or less as needed. After all, it's supposed to evolve.

The Tribe
I am the will of the Peoples of Mastodon. They are a scattered into smaller groups of about 10-20 adults each, loosely bonded together by tradition. The tradition is that upon reaching adulthood, the children of each group pool together for a week of revelry. After the week has passed, during which time everyone else celebrates the feast of the summer solstice, the children either form a new group of ten adults of their own or become an official part of another group (It is taboo for children to return to the group they grew up with). They will then only see their parents during summer solstice for the rest of their lives.

Habitat
They live in mountaineous areas, bordering a vast ocean. The area is known as The Crystal Ponds. Small streams and brooks pass down the mountain, with minor waterfalls along the way. Trees and vegetation are scarce uphill, but abundant on the coast. The name stems from small ponds that fill up during the spring and evaporate during the summer. The salts left behind by the evaporating waters, carried from the mountains, leave breathtaking beautiful pillars of crystalline salt. These pillars are considered sacred by the Peoples of Mastodon, though they break again in late autumn, early winter.

Occupations
The Peoples of Mastodon are a hardy bunch, very much into pretty stones. As such, while they forage and occasionally hunt, their primary occupation besides this lies in the craft of simple rings, amulets, bracelets and adornments.

Friendship
To court, both must present each other with at least three pieces of what they consider their best craft in recent times. Similarly, they apply this in friendships, where gem bonds are formed by halving a precious stone and setting in two or more pieces of jewelry, which is then given to each member of the bond. This is equivalent to a blood bond.

Motivations
While venerating the spirits of the earth, the people have had few aspirations until now. As their will, I vision a day where they shall sail upon the open seas in sturdy vessels, to take them to foreign shores, both near and far. To this end, their numbers must grow and they must learn new skills and so it begins for the people of Mastodon.

Acts of the Mastodon Will

Food
To secure ample supplies for the next winter, the various groups must find ways to sustain themselves. I have looked over my people and seen them, seen that they are scattered from coast to mountaintop. About three dozen adults live near the coast. They forage, but look to the oceans as a means of sustenance. They will attempt to fashion crude wooden spears from the trees, such that they might catch fish all year round.

Another three dozen adults live on the foothills, where the trees are still numerous, but the vegetation grows scarce. They forage as well, but unlike their coastal brethren, see the trees and the forest as their sustenance. The groups here are divided, but some wish to hunt and others desire more trees. In the yearly meeting, there was much discussion amongst them, and they decided to try to fashion simple throwing spears and to have the hunters meet once a month for a few days to hunt down larger game. The remainder, desiring to cut down trees to use the wood, wanted to fashion better ways of cutting down and chopping up trees. Their ultimate goal was to encourage certain types of trees to grow, specifically the ones bearing edible fruit and the ones that attracted the local wildlife.

A little more than two dozen lived on the rough mountain sides. Here, the trees, vegetation and even the air grew thin. They found themselves living around the oasis' of the mountains, the crystal pools. Here, they worked on their crafts, attempting to outproduce the best of all jewelry of the peoples. Every week, they'd go to the foothills and trade away the crafts for food and more, before returning to the highlands. They'd forage what they could in the harsh wilderness.

Water was, of course, plentiful from the many streams and brooks.

Crafts

The people of the coast collected the shells of the beach, fashioning them into simple jewelry for their loved ones. They also, once a year, attempted to trade these shells further inland, in exchange for mountain stones. The children were extensively involved in the collecting of shells, eager and youthful as they are.

Those from the foothills collected shiny, non-precious stones from the rivers, which they kept to themselves or, on occasion, traded to the coastal people for their shells. Their main source of crafts, however, came from the mountain people, to whom they provided some food. The mountain people collected precious stones and crystals and either set them into crafts or traded them away as they were and, as a result, sought new ways to adapt their stones and shape them.

I leave it up to you to accept or deny any of this.

Cal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2010, 12:59:57 am »

This sounds fun but it's almost midnight for me, I'll have to come up with someone tomorrow after work.
Urist McMother has given birth to hectoplets.
Urist McMother has bled to death.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2010, 01:49:06 am »

I'm game. I don't have any knowledge of or experience with "King of Dragon Pass" however.
no worries. I just edited that in as an afterthought so that people who knew it could have some context for tone.

[tribe description (snipped for brevity)]
Everything looks good to me. The geographically extended group will likely prove difficult to administer, so that should be fun. Would you like to set up some sort of plans beyond the general day-to-day, or would you rather I give you something to react to? either way, I'm going to wait a while, so I can advance time for everyone simultaneously.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile

Lidhuin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2010, 02:01:18 am »

Well, I figure setting up the basics first is cool. After that, it'll probably be trying to deal with year-to-year adminstration and... well, I have no idea what timeline we'll be playing in, but the first goal that I have (as outlined in motivations) is to build boats. After boats, the society I described will definitely change.

Spaghetti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2010, 02:56:33 am »

soooo a few questions

are the tribes mandatory human?

Is this going to be a big ole bloodbath?

This seems like it has potential for alot of fun but also alot of FUN...

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2010, 03:43:12 am »

are the tribes mandatory human?
Pretty much, yeah. No reason we can't have custom ethnicities though... such as the short bearded fellows, or the pointy-eared fellows.
Is this going to be a big ole bloodbath?
goodness, I hope not.

>:O

That name belongs to!: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starsiege:_Tribes
Not any more. I stole it fair and square.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2010, 04:07:55 am »

The Basilisk Tribe beckons.

Apparently basilisks vary somewhat in appearance, as the tribe can't quite seem to get a single image of them down, but the more common depictions are of something sinuous and multilegged, probably a lizard with a frill or crest. Individuals often depict incarnations somehow fitting to themselves, so a fat warrior tribesman might carry a shield with a similarly plump and aggressive basilisk. Probably eating twig basilisks that were laughing at him, but I digress.

Basilisk tribesmen favor long hair and various dangling bones, claws, and teeth. Officially this is to shroud them in the power of the dead, though the frequency with which children play with, wear, or craft such ornaments because they like the sound they make when clinking together might point to a more, uh... mundane origin. But what do kids know anyway?

The Basilisk Tribe knows of two generally preferred methods of burial. The first involves digging out and burying their dead beneath trees. When this becomes a habit around a single tree, it tends to end up festooned with bone ornaments and bearing some mark of whatever family, clan, etc. uses it to store their deceased. They consider such sites at least mildly holy and worthy of respect, but the whole idea is to return them to nature, so in theory they'll be gone gone soon anyway. Nonetheless, in keeping with their notions of actions marking places and objects (see below), extreme use of this method can turn trees into veritable gateways to the afterlife, which hopefully means ancestors can commune through it, if they're there, not busy, feeling helpful, etc.

The second is to be eaten by scavengers. This is more fitting for warriors and hunters, especially since the idea is for the body to get eaten where it fell, not to be dragged near a den of hyenas because damnit soil is HARD and I don't want to buy a shovel.

In a pinch, burying a body under any sort of plant life (lusher the better) or a cairn stone is acceptable, and leaving it somewhere beetles or flies (bigger the better) will find it is still not considered totally abandoning it, though it's pretty shoddy. Cairns are worse at getting the soul on its way, so they're typically meant for those who still need to exert influence on the world of the living.

Basilisk tribesmen are generally a bit cautious, superstitious, and covetous. They believe actions can taint items or places, so they tend to covet things won in certain ways and shun those acquired in other ways. This means they generally avoid doing bad things for items, since they don't want a new murder rock, but also that they tend to strive to get items in the best way possible, since they DO want a new valor rock. This also makes some items non-transferable, since they're only valor rocks if you get them through valor, whereas many taints are transferable, since they're still murder stones if you get them from trading the fruits of your murder for them.

I suppose they just inhabit a forested bluff within not-casual walking distance to the ocean, with a fairly open valley field down a somewhat difficult, rocky path. You know, hard to get through on a casual day, easy when there's a bear chasing you. Surrounding that are more forested hills with occasional rocky cliffs and clearings.

As for the plan...

First we'll get to work hitting rocks against each other to make sharper rocks, then trying to use plant fiber to tie those to sticks and get working tools. If that fails, pointed sticks it is, unless we're better at tying than hitting, in which case hammers it is. The best hunters will then promptly scurry off with their stone axes and spears/stone hammers/pointed sticks/harsh language to hunt things, drag their carcasses back to camp, and use everything they can. They'll also scout the area for anything unusual/useful, and try to get a general sense of what sorts of animals live where, among what plants, and so on. If they get the unusual chance to capture anything and tie it to a tree and call it domesticated, they'll take it. They'll also bring back samples of any plants they don't remember seeing about the general camp area.

Meanwhile, the less hunterish members will try to make their residence more habitable, gathering up good sticks, perhaps hammering branches off trees for more, weaving plants into some semblance of a fiber, testing various plants to see what's good for what, and ultimately making crude huts incorporating the trees as supports/wall sections, hopefully. Just pile grass on it for the roofs if the weaving doesn't work so good. Why'd we settle where there were no palm fronds again?

In fact, a small group will scout out the beach, bring back anything potentially useful or shiny. Seashells are a must, but if we can find palm fronds for roofs or coconuts for, uh, gourds I guess, we'll take them. Other members will do the same for the general area, bringing back anything unusual or useful.

Finally, once we know what we're doing, we'll begin a bit of selective encouragement, making sure seeds from useful plants end up strewn about near where we are.

We'll more or less continue this throughout the year, trying to stockpile less perishable foods for both winter and simple bad fortune. The more okay we get on food, the more we focus on textiles, crafting, curiosity, and domesticating anything that moves (including in the wind). If it's not cheating, we'll also work on fire and salt harvesting- if it is, hopefully smashing rocks together and combing the beach for anything shiny will eventually get the job done.

Well, that's long. Anything I'm forgetting?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6