Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Community Fortress: RAPTORBREAK  (Read 1861 times)

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
Community Fortress: RAPTORBREAK
« on: February 16, 2010, 09:45:27 pm »

"Raptorbreak," the first Mesozoic Dwarves community fortress!

PARTICIPANTS:

• Raphite - male - MAYOR / miner.
  • Fath Steelshaper - female - ARMORER / metal-, weapon-, blacksmithing.
  • Derm Trapmaster - male - MASON / mechanic (traps).
  • Samus, Harbinger of Doom - male - WOODCUTTER / axedwarf
  • Gyron - male - CRAFTSDWARF (wood, stone, bone, metal) / hammerdwarf
  • Khamero - male - MARKSDWARF / hunter
  • Whitha - female - ENGRAVER / trapper (children/divination)

RULES

Game Version: Mesozoic Dwarves mod.
Population Cap: 80
Game-Ending Conditions:
  • Death of all original seven dwarves (community members).
  • Release of new version of Dwarf Fortress.
  • Unrecoverable save corruption by my glitchy computer (will be making regular backups).
Reporting:
     I will write up the events of Raptorbreak at the conclusion of each winter, or perhaps seasonally if significant events are happening quickly in a given year. The narrative will be added to this first post, and I'll bump the thread at the same time.

EMBARK SITE

World Name: The Universes of Wonder.
Embark Description: The dwarves are travelling to 5x5 territory of wilderness on "The Continents of Trading," where a mountain range called "The Romantic Wall" meets a temperate savanna known as "The Polished Plain." Dwarven geographers and seismologists at the Mountainhome report that the area has sparse trees and is crossed by a brook, named "Cradlesilt the Esteemed Gall," and contains a magma pipe, and underground pool, and a node of the most precious metal known to dwarvenkind. The soil of the savanna is a yellow sand. The site is near the equator, far to the south of the Mountainhome, and westward of the great ocean known as "The Cremated Waters." Reports from terrified travellers tell of highly-populated Velociraptor communities in the immediate area, as well as sightings of Orkk armies in the evil marshes to the south.
Civilization Name: The Cloudy Daggers.
     The King, Bembul Daycities, inherited his position from his mother, after a rather unremarkable career as a fishery worker. However, the King's late wife, Solon Lancersense is likely to be a personal hero of our hunter, Khamero. Both before and after marrying into royalty, Solon Lancersense was a hunter. She slew numerous gallimimus and hypsilophodon, managed to kill a dangerous kentrosaurus, and in a feat that defies belief, she managed to personally bring down FIVE tank-like ankylosaurus for The Cloudy Daggers. Further, she ambushed and slew the notorious and deadly deinonychus known as "Kingdomopen," a hated enemy of the civilization. Finally, she met a glorious and honorable death while ambushing another named deinonychus enemy: the foul "Mouthfortunes." The dwarves shall construct Raptorbreak in honor of the memory of Solon Lancersense!
Group Name: The Raptor-Lances, "Razotkubuk," in honor of our late huntress-queen, Solon Lancersense.
Fortress Name: Raptorbreak, "Razotokab."

PLAY ALONG!
Seed information:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

THE STORY SO FAR

The glorious dwarven King, Bembul Daycities, desires that the empire expand, but the lands are wild and dangerous. The Mountainhome nobility is seeking a group of volunteers to take a wagon into the wilderness and strike the earth for a new fortress. The primary goal of the new fortress, Raptorbreak, is to establish a military outpost to wage war against the seething hoards of velociraptor that run in a murderous plague across the land. Also, Raptorbreak is to serve as a show of strength against the bestial Orkks, should they take notice of the dwarven activities. Other threats may also rise against the Mountainhome, and Raptorbreak is to serve as a powerful frontline to discover and defeat any such unanticipated attacks.

Year 201:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 11:19:53 am by Raphite1 »

Lidhuin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Recruiting for community fortress: RAPTORBREAK
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 09:55:43 pm »

Hearing the call, the dwarf 'Fath Steelshaper' will join this expedition.

Name: Fath Steelshaper
Primary Profession: Armorer
Hobbies: Weaponsmithing, metalcrafting, blacksmithing.

Fath will make sure that all military dwarves wear the best that dwarf hands can craft.

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 10:25:34 pm »

Great! Is Fath male or female?

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 10:42:32 pm »

Derm Trapmaster male, mason, hobbying trapmaker/mechanic
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 11:28:09 pm »

Is this using the infamous Raptor Mod?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Samus1111111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 11:34:51 pm »

name: Samus, Harbinger of Doom
Profession: Woodcutter/Axeman
Hobby: Chopping things to pieces

Gyron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 11:41:04 pm »

Name: Gyron(if Male)/Shianna(if Female)
Male prefered
Profession: Crafting (Wood/Stone/Bone/Metal)
Hobbies: Hammer-Wielding

Lidhuin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 11:41:32 pm »

I'm not picky about male or female. Either works for me!

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2010, 12:00:44 am »

Is this using the infamous Raptor Mod?

It's the Mesozoic Dwarves mod. It includes velociraptors as one of the sieging species, but they're different from (the awesome) Raptor Mod.

Two slots left! If we get it filled out soon, I'll be able to at least get us embarked tonight.

Khamero

• Bay Watcher
  • Bronzebeard - Master of arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2010, 03:25:15 am »

I wanna sign up!

Khamero/Khamera
Male preferred
Proffession: Hunter, ambusher, marksdwarf.

In such dangerous times, its good to be able to fight off the scourge that might attack us, and a good ranged fighter will be very useful then.
If you deem hunting too dangerous, just let him be a part of the militia, either training at a range or doing whatever.
You might think that this is some sort of trap. That I’m using you as bait to lure in your friends. I’m not. I just enjoy torturing innocent, young girls.

I know it’s sick. But everyone needs a hobby.

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2010, 03:29:37 am »

Sounds good. I set him as marksdwarf primary and hunter as a hobby, since much of the wildlife is too dangerous for full-time hunting. I'll send him out to hunt some meat when favorable wildlife shows up, though.

Just one more!

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2010, 04:25:12 am »

Whitha, female prefered

historian/storyteller (engraver) and small animal trapper.

Hobbies include talking to children and studying bones and stones for omens and portents.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2010, 11:46:25 am »

Great! At work right now, but will start it up asap. Looks like a fun set of professions for the embark party! Gyron can do some initial carpentry until we get an immigrant to do it full-time. If there are some good game animals for Khamero to hunt, we'll try to delay farming until we get an immigrant to do it, and Raphite will do the initial mining. If the animals are too dangerous to hunt, then Raphite will do some initial farming, and Whitha will do the initial mining (preparation of her stone canvas) until we get immigrant replacements.

I'll reroll the embark party a few times to try to get the right male/female ratio. I'll probably aim for a map with HFS (dwarves need every edge that they can get in this mod), but swamps have some fun creatures also. Magma will be a must.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 01:07:52 pm by Raphite1 »

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
Re: Community Fortress: RAPTORBREAK
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2010, 01:24:06 pm »

Didn't you do this exact same thing a bit earlier?

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
Re: Community Fortress: RAPTORBREAK
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2010, 02:09:12 pm »

I was narrating a fort's history, but it wasn't a community fort. I decided that it'd be more fun/interesting if it had some community involvement.

Edit: Genned an acceptable world and found an embark site; first post updated with the information (haven't actually embarked yet). I also posted the worldgen info in case anyone wants to play along in an alternate reality.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 03:01:01 pm by Raphite1 »
Pages: [1] 2