Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What "fun" has happened to you recently?  (Read 960 times)

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
What "fun" has happened to you recently?
« on: February 16, 2010, 08:44:01 pm »

I just lost my first fort to the undead hordes.  :D

I've always been able to fend them off. Even if there have been casualties I have never lost a fort to them ever! until now ... a pack of undead elephants wandered into the construction of a factory.

There was just one zombie first and I had to get him out of the way so I could close the path. Since his herd wasn't around I drafted all 14 dwarves and dogpiled him.

Big mistake. That elephant tore my entire fort to pieces! His herd soon arrived too and helped finish off every animal I had. The lone survivor made it because he managed to drag himself to a bed early on - and he was withering away in it when immigrants came. The immigrants quickly lost about half of their numbers and the other half hurried to hide deep in the mines. In there they began building stonefall traps - but they only put up a third of them and didn't load half of the ones they put up. The elephants sought them out before a proper resistance could be mounted and thus the fortress of "Briddlewalled" was lost.

I'm currently trying to reclaim. With 70 soldiers... yet I lost 18 of them taking down one herd of 6 elephants. They were ALL friends and I'm currently in a heavily armed tantrum spiral. 7 13 dwarves have lost their minds! So about a third almost half of the reclamation force has been destroyed.

Plus a large pack of naked moledogs have settled in the fort.

Edit: the moledogs were easy to dispatch and no new elephant herds are in sight.

However the tantrum spiral has claimed MANY victims. Only 6 dwarves remain in their sanity and some of them are wounded. This fort is doomed. Again.

Holy hell I didn't even have time to write that and the number of functional dwarves is 3.  It's over ladies and gentlemen. Now what about your forts?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 09:11:49 pm by Aspgren »
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
Re: What "fun" has happened to you recently?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 12:16:14 am »

I had an embark squad open the HFS before anything was set up. Naturally, no one survived. The reclaim squad consisted of 44 dwarves. Between 7 and 10 died in the fighting, but the ensuing tantrum spiral killed off all but 3 dwarves, who rebuilt the fort from the ground up. Also...

Seeing that made me so happy.

Phil_Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 12:27:11 am »

Just abandoned my fort due to constant carp attacks.  every now and again they'd kill off half my fortress (fisher would get attacked, others go to get his stuff n die, ect.)  Finally, they killed of my mechanic, the last decet dwarf I had.  left with immigrants (peasants, rangers, lyemakers) I deceded to start over.  new map had granite EVERYWHERE, but somehow I ran out of food and my dwarves starved during the winter(my planter kept taking breaks at the worst times.)

so yeah, dwarves are still stupid.
It's community is the natural side effect of a game being a masterpiece hiding behind the learning curve of a brick wall - trolls can't play DF long enough to find something to ridicule.
Toady One has created a masterpiece!

Asatruer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 12:39:39 am »

While playing a Kobold Camp with the Primitives Civs added for the first time I had built a rather nicely large Kobold cave warren system on a hill against a river.  I was rather proud of my dinning hall in an alcove dug into the cliff at water level, it was the best source of fresh running water and food in a perfectly sheltered environment.  After managing to wait out and fend off a few sieges by jacklemen and tigermen I was pretty content with the defenses.  Then one siege turned out to be different and I learned the hard way that turtlemen can swim as they popped out of the river and directly into the kobold dinning hall...

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 01:14:55 am »

I was playing CatSplosion with Relentless Assault on a badlands/mountain map just now. Due to there being no surface water, I was compelled to quickly locate the underground river, which I did. A few weeks after embark, however, my fort began to get thirsty... So they all went to the cave river. Smart of them, of course, except that they all simultaneously got to the river, got spotted by a cave crocodile, and promptly eaten. "Your settlement has crumbled to its end." Not seen that message in a long time...

Oddly enough, I'm pretty sure I've got a decent-to-good non-trap defense setup planned, so I'm not really worried about the sieges from RA. It's just getting sufficient resources to not die of thirst initially that's going to be a problem on this map (which I'm regenerating to try again).
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 01:30:53 am »

I added the Na'vi from Avatar, size 9 modeled after elves. They generally wield bows, and ride horses.

They are also extremely hard to kill. I lose a champion or two every Spring, plus a few working masons.
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

SirStrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 02:51:25 am »

It all started when a couple of Ogre Magi (Dig Deeper) wandered onto the map. I sent my 3 (Still working with the original seven) military dwarves out to meet them, thinking it was surely the dwarfiest thing to do. Shortly after the battle was started, the Magi started launching fireballs everywhere and soon the heavily wooded map was completely ablaze. Nobody, dwarf nor Ogre, was felled in combat, but none of them survived the inferno.

A few moments later, Urist McMadness comes out of the fortress to observe the scorched wasteland that now surrounded his home and promptly went berserk. He ran back inside and killed all but one of his fellows, Urist McBabbles, who then went stark raving mad, took off his clothes and began rolling about in a puddle of vomit.

Meanwhile, a group of migrants appeared on the edge of the map and were wandering across the burnt, barren wasteland towards the fortress. I can only imagine what they were thinking.

Probably something along the lines of:
 "This isn't what Urist McTravelagent described at all!"
 or maybe (and probably more likely)
 "I hope they have booze. I love booze. Mmm booze..."

Anyways, they open the front door, only to find one dorf covered in vomit, crawling around naked and babbling, and the other dorf furiously chasing a llama through the halls with murder on his mind.

I can only assume they were rather shocked.

A few moments later, Urist McMadman, having caught and dismembered the llama, turns his attention towards the newcomers and kills all but one of them, who manages to escape into the lower levels of the fort while Urist McMadman turns his attention towards something on the surface.
What is it you ask?

An ogre.

He runs towards the ogre and starts beating on it. After a few seconds, the ogre, having taken absolutely no damage, decided that he'd had enough and broke both of Urist McMadman's legs. Not even this stifles the rabid dorfs rage and he continues to strike at the ogre, who finally decided that the dorf's burning rage and psychotic determination was more than a little disturbing and RAN AWAY off of the whole map despite having taken NO damage.

So now, Urist McMadman, who had driven an ogre away through sheer craziness, dragged himself back to the fort, (presumably with only his arms) where he proceeded to pass out next to the main stairwell. The one remaining sane dorf was on the bottom level of the fort and refused to go up the stairs because every time he did, Urist McMadman would wake up just long enough to drag himself forward a few feet and send the poor fellow scampering back down the stairs in fear.

Eventually the two insane dwarves died of starvation/dehydration and the sane fellow was in the process of doing so. With Urist McMadman out of the picture, he finally went up stairs and made his way to the food stockpile, eager to at last satiate himself.

Suddenly, ORCS!

They stormed the halls just as the last dorf finished his final meal and they chopped him into tiny pieces.

I like to think they had a little chuckle amongst themselves about the state of the fortress and the surrounding area as they looted things. I'll bet they especially enjoyed the dismembered llama riddled with dwarven teeth-marks in the meeting hall.

I know I probably could have put an end to all the madness at several points just my activating all my dwarfs and making them dogpile Urist McMadman to stop his rampage, but I think it turned out better this way.

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 07:31:53 am »

Holy shit...
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2010, 07:54:53 am »

A while back, I was putting the underground magma forges in place in my fortress. Anyway, I left my metalworkers to do their business, and went off to oversee something else. I get a message. "Urist McMetalsmith cancels Build; Disrupted by Fire Man/Fire Imp"

I rush over and watch in horror as about five fire imps and a fire man pour out of this one little hole. They beat up my poor metalsmith and hightail it to my central staircase. They all head in random directions, some to my stockpiles, some to my farms and the fire man straight into the dining room. The fire imps were taken down by the militia, but the way my dining room was set up was a perfect vantage point for the fire man to fling a fireball and kill everyone as they walked in.

Eventually I just decided to lock it in there and build another staircase. The fort died a few days later when I tried to have another go at it, where it killed half the fort and left the rest going mad (I think a berzerk dwarf took the fire man down.)
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2010, 09:40:37 pm »

Currently hiding from wraith demons. Twice I've save-scummed after dealing with them. The first time saw one sneak in through the walled-off farming area just as I was finished digging out the fortress (can't they kill everybody before I spend ages waiting for stuff to get done?). Two weeks and one Berserk Legendary Miner later, the fortress is down from 35 to 2 or 3 dwarves, one of whom is bedridden, and the demon is still chilling in the bedroom area. The second time saw me pulling out the up stairs to the farm and replacing them with walls... Apparently they can still get in that way, which was unexpected. This time they tore the dwarven caravan and seven of my eight woefully underequipped champions to pieces, but the last champion and the civilians were behind the bridge when it went up. Then migrants arrived, right on the little plateau where the demons were all still hanging out.

I'll be ecstatic when the orcs siege, because I'll be able to go outside and clear up the mess. The liaison's also gone mad twice, but I don't mind cheating with that because they're inexplicably irreplaceable.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2010, 09:54:34 pm »

Oh, nothing except my first DD fortress was slaughtered by 20 orcs vs. 44 dwarves and later sent a reclaim with half of the orcs dead and the rest friendly and then all of the 47 reclaimers were killed by a GIANT CAVE SWALLOW.

Bullshit.

Bandages

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2010, 11:08:45 pm »

(first post, whee!)

My most recent fort was an experiment in above ground living conditions. I had no miners, and instead had a task-force of proficient woodcutters/axedwarves instead. I also decided to toss the dwarves into a sinister map, because there's no better motivation for building a hut than the packs of zombie pheasants flying around (the horror!) thanks to Dig Deeper.

So things start off pretty swimingly, I had a carpenter up and churning out wooden blocks in no time, as well as a nice patch of soil converted into a farm plot. My pack of war dogs had scared off the annoying wildlife and everything was looking good for the wooden town of Squirtedwheels.

A little bit into my fortress, I had about half a living space built and no real shelter for my dwarves besides a dismally small temporary barracks, when my carpenter was struck with a fey mood. "No biggie," I thought. "It'll be nice to have a legendary carpenter so soon!" But I completely forgot that in order for Urist McCarpenter to become legendary, he had to make an incredibly valuable artifact, and as we all know; nothing gets orcs off more than a wooden table depicting a dog eating a sketelal groundhog.

Not a season later, the orcs were upon me. I tried to order my dwarves inside, but it didn't matter. They were merciless and barbaric, tearing through dogs and puppies before storming into the sleep-hovel I had built and redecorating it with the bits of my embark party.

I love Dwarf Fortress so much.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2010, 11:26:24 pm »

On my most current fortress, i got my first ambush, had a pretty good military (one champ wrestler with like 5 elites and a few markdwarves) so the ambush consisted of 4 goblin bowmen and 2 wrestlers, figuring they would be ground goblin after meeting my champion i had my military charge, for some odd reason, after ONE of my people get a broken bone, my whole military suddenly demoralizes, runs away and dies horribly to bow fire.....
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."