Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11

Author Topic: Scary enemies in games  (Read 13320 times)

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Scary enemies in games
« Reply #90 on: April 15, 2010, 12:11:13 pm »

Tip for hunters: Hold something infront of you, when they shoot it with flechets fire it abck at them, the flechets will detonate when it hits them.

The flechettes don't always hit the thing you're holding. In fact, the lions share hit you even if you're holding something tall. I'd rather smack them with a water heater (which causes them to stumble) twice before they get off an attack than wait, catch the darts, and THEN attack. Either way, I HATE the Hunters.
They're absurdly easy once you realize you can just run over them with the car. You only fight them one or two times when you can't just do that.

Also smart: jumping out of the car after they flechette it, then getting back in after they explode. Bonus points if you manage to hit one while doing so.

Actually, of the six times they appear in EP2, you only have access to the car twice: at the relay station (and naturally they're between you and the car) and in the final battle. That's why I hate them, when they're guarding the striders they're just annoying.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 15, 2010, 12:23:29 pm »

Hmmm... You also run into some by the psychic canned grub, where you can just jump into the car and drive off/over them.

Other than that, I can only think of the trap and the base (aside from the relay and finale, of course), aside from the initial cinematic encounter in which AERIS DIES. :3
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 12:26:29 pm by Sir Pseudonymous »
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 15, 2010, 01:06:03 pm »

And you too, for Ecco? That game was... *shudders*

"Welcome to the machine"    :-\
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

Monkeyvich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 15, 2010, 03:42:45 pm »

Nobody else developed the twitchy shudders at the hollow galloping noise of those weird skeletal scythy things that came charging by the tens at you in Serious Sam (either one)?

Not "scary" but maybe "intense".  Also not calm-inducing were the headless dudes that ran at you screaming and then exploded.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 16, 2010, 12:07:35 am »

HOLYSHITITSTHECRADLEIDONTWANTTOGOBACKTOTHECRADLEHOLYSHITHOLYSHITHOLYSHIT

Want to never sleep again? Garrett seems very apprehensive about the whole mission into the Cradle, even before he knows its secrets. Yet afterwards he acts fine about it and the game quickly comes to a close. Also of note is that the little girl, who herself is part of the Cradle seems to not be attempting to trap you forever. Dosen't that seem odd, that a little girl wouldn't go the same way as the rest of the Cradel's inhabitants? Furthermore, after Garrett jumps off of the top of the Otherworld Cradle the mission ends instantly. By now I am sure you see where I am going with this. Garrett never left the Cradle. He ended up sucuming to it like everyone else, and dosen't even know it. Sweet dreams.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 16, 2010, 12:33:48 am »

Igginator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 16, 2010, 03:24:59 am »

PENUMBRA

oh god the whole bloody game is scary.
complete silence other than creaky doors and slow worn engines running at times. Pitch blackness with only a limited torch and swinging lights.
I think the fact that enemies werent just something you found aroung every corner is what gave it that *errrr do i really want to open that door* feeling. And knowing that each enemy is going to be a new potentially devastating challenge is pretty fucking shocking  :'(

And the demon dog things in it are just want to make you scream out in terror when you see them running at you  :o

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 16, 2010, 04:34:22 am »

The ghist level on Vampire: The masquerade: Bloodlines scared the crap out of me. Even though there aren't any enemies you expect one around every corner and there's one part where if you go down a small dead end and turn around a guy with a baseball bat appears as if he's about to attack you. It was one of the only two things that have ever made me jump from sheer terror!
I make music under the name Flag Red, check me out:
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

Zyzarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 16, 2010, 09:54:11 am »

The feral ghouls in Fallout 3.

Fallout FTW!!! but they arent too scary...
Chainsaw guys from RE4 and RE5 arent too scary but they will make you freak out if you get cornered.
And Big daddies...

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 16, 2010, 02:13:19 pm »

Death claws from Fallout3..... OMG

I see one and I go into "don't let anything see me" mode. I am only comfortable taking on 1 of them at a time with 3 bottle cap mines and sniper each. Anything less or 2 at a time and the chance for me dieing is high.

Apple Master

• Bay Watcher
  • The Master of Apples. IT IS AN APPLE
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 16, 2010, 02:15:29 pm »

my avatar + any game =   :'(

aside from that headcrabs in half life 1. Specifically the one that hides in a vent and jumps at you when you go in.
PSN: SirAppleforth. Add me and say you're from Bay12!

Zyzarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 16, 2010, 02:20:12 pm »

I was going to say your avatar too!!!OMFG CHEATER YOU READ MY TEST PAPER.

Apple Master

• Bay Watcher
  • The Master of Apples. IT IS AN APPLE
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 16, 2010, 02:24:18 pm »

also http://tinypic.com/print.php?pic=200s80n&s=5
Also, those wierd mutants on Deus Ex.
I dun like.
PSN: SirAppleforth. Add me and say you're from Bay12!

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 16, 2010, 04:27:59 pm »

Green greasy greasels, you mean? Or the FUAIDLGHLDAKJF KARKIANS?

Because seriously, FUAIDLGHLDAKJF KARKIANS.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 16, 2010, 05:01:34 pm »

Me. In TF2.  :D

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11