Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11

Author Topic: Scary enemies in games  (Read 13332 times)

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Scary enemies in games
« Reply #60 on: April 11, 2010, 04:50:38 am »

The Tentaculat in X-Com 2. X-Com had a bunch of other freaky enemies, because of the whole permadeath thing. You're like.. "omg he's coming, please let him run out of TU's.. please let my guy reflex shot him.. OH SHIT HE MISSED.. NOOO!"

Also, those big jellyfish monsters in X-Com 2. Lobstermen are pretty nasty too.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 11, 2010, 10:29:41 am »

The evil Samus in Metroid Fusion scared the crap outta me, it's just having something equally as fast as you and more powerful than you hunting you down and it could appear around any corner at any time...
I make music under the name Flag Red, check me out:
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 11, 2010, 11:31:26 am »

Orc Priests....
That big "o"
makes me tremble in fear.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 11, 2010, 11:44:41 am »

The evil Samus in Metroid Fusion scared the crap outta me, it's just having something equally as fast as you and more powerful than you hunting you down and it could appear around any corner at any time...

Speaking of fighting yourself, in TES4: Oblivion, Shivering Isles, the part where you're rebuilding the Staff, you have to fight a copy of yourself. Needless to say, it's a pretty harrowing experience fighting something that has the same exact stats, spells, equipment(and probably starting with full charge on the weapon enchants, especially when you put Paralyze on a Daedric claymore or something), and same massive stockpile of Strong Healing Potions and possibly homemade brews.
For me, it was water whilst playing Sonic 2.
In the second Zone, that's technically not water, it's a poison specifically designed to kill Sonic. But, since it's Robuttnick who created it, you know it's going to fail, miserably.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 11, 2010, 12:32:48 pm »

equipment(and probably starting with full charge on the weapon enchants, especially when you put Paralyze on a Daedric claymore or something)

The clone never uses your weapon - it has its own, which is always a two-handed sword or axe(?) depending on whether your blade or blunt skill is highest. Still, yeah.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 11, 2010, 12:34:59 pm »

Tip for hunters: Hold something infront of you, when they shoot it with flechets fire it abck at them, the flechets will detonate when it hits them.

The flechettes don't always hit the thing you're holding. In fact, the lions share hit you even if you're holding something tall. I'd rather smack them with a water heater (which causes them to stumble) twice before they get off an attack than wait, catch the darts, and THEN attack. Either way, I HATE the Hunters.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 12, 2010, 11:20:11 am »

equipment(and probably starting with full charge on the weapon enchants, especially when you put Paralyze on a Daedric claymore or something)

The clone never uses your weapon - it has its own, which is always a two-handed sword or axe(?) depending on whether your blade or blunt skill is highest. Still, yeah.
I could have sworn I he was draining me last time I fought me him, and I either had Dawn/Duskfang Superior or Ebony Blade equipped. I'm sure he had my shield too, either Spell Breaker or Valdemar's Shield.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 12, 2010, 10:20:53 pm »

Consider what game you're playing and realize with horrifying certainty that they gave your clone a shitty weapon, stripped away any chance of them defeating you, and then walked away to do something else.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
  • The [Weapon] has lodged firmly in the wound!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 13, 2010, 02:14:33 am »

I'd say Clive Barker's Undying was pretty bad.  Those blue dog things actually got me to unload my gun into a wall on suspicion they were present on several occasions.  The whole starting house was freaky.  I need to go back and finish that one of these days.  Try playing that game with no lights on and you'll get it.

Fatal frame 2 is a pretty good one as well, and I agree with the Mario sun as it always invokes panic.  Also the haunted house from vampire the masquerade was pretty freaking bad.
If not under Neotemplar look for Vellum.

<22:07:06> "Terry": If a kid is old enough to play D&D
<22:07:20> "Terry": A kid is old enough to experience a dolphin being strangled

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 13, 2010, 08:26:49 am »

im undecided on scary bits of games. I quite like being put on edge, but i sort wish it would end when its happening.
ive played; FEAR, AVP 1 and 2, Vampires Mascqurade, DOOM3, Q4, Hl1/2, several Resident evils, STALKER, SS2, bioshock, natrual selection, the hidden source, zps, The Thing and probably a few other sinister games but by far the scariest thing is the Face huggers in AVP1 (not so bad in AVP2).

they are in a league of their own - insta kill, very fast, very hard to see, you can hear em comming in a bad sort of way, but when they hit, oh when they hit your screen goes flying backwards **** me. The first time it happend in the lower floor of the third marine level i nearly s**t my self and it hasnt got much better since. When ever i hear them i get the flamer out and start torching everything.
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 13, 2010, 11:33:49 am »

One of the biggest accomplishments of L4D2 (and possibly 1, never played it) is that zombie hordes actually sound scary. Even though a good explosive, or heck, some boomer bile (concentrates them in an area away from your party, where you can pick them off at your leisure) will take them out by the swarm, there's always another hundred or so to take their place. L4D2 made zombies scary again, my hats off to the folks at Valve.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 13, 2010, 05:00:57 pm »

I will admit.  The first Controller I ran into in SoC I ran from.  Why is the sound ringing like t...OH GOD WHAT THE HELL IS THAT.  I quickly ran up the ladder and got the hell out of there.  They weren't so frightening in CoP.  Sure they mess up your aim, but nothing likely the horrible blurry double/quad vision that the SoC ones gave you.  Burers were pretty messed up too.

Oh and pretty much everything in Ecco the Dolphin.  That game was nightmare fuel.
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

SiN.Daeus

• Bay Watcher
  • IT LIVES
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 13, 2010, 05:35:31 pm »

HOLYSHITITSTHECRADLEIDONTWANTTOGOBACKTOTHECRADLEHOLYSHITHOLYSHITHOLYSHIT
The best kind of music is
---]HEAVY[---
---]HEAVY[---
---]METAL[---

Geti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 13, 2010, 05:35:50 pm »

L4D: Not scary
They sound scary, they jump out at'cha, but you mow them down far too easily for it to get freaky (bar expert realism hopped up on something or other, that would probably be mindbending). But eh, maybe that's just me and everyone I've talked to about it. Bloody fun, mind you.

Half Life 2: Scary sometimes
Motherfucking antlions pouncing out of the darkness, headcrabs skittering around, finding bodies/bits of them nailed to stuff. First playthrough is always amazing.

Dead Space: Shit scary.
Got the atmosphere just right, turn the brightness down play in the dark and get ready to yell at your telly. Damn fun with friends.

FEAR: Not scary.
You have the cheat button. Sometimes the atmosphere is good, but all in all it gets to be "oh noes the scareymen are coming! mash slomo!" *headshot headshot headshot*

Resident Evil: Scary sometimes.
Well, 4+ are anyway. Lots of "OH GOD THE CHAINSAW GUY IS COMING GET OUT OF THE WAY AHH" moments to be had with friends. Quick time events usually harm it a bit for me.

DOOM: Scary sometimes
depends how you play it. Me and 3 mates were playing late at night, and neglected the speaker volume. First monster bursts around the corner: turns out it was maxed out. We all shat bricks.

Zelda ReDeads: Shit scary.
First time they spot you.. goddamn.

Mario ghosts: Stressful.
Especially when they're coming in from both sides.

Can't think of any more, but basically any game where you can't see for the darkness or you have limited line of sight most of the time generally worries me. Flashlights that move around or stutter can do it as well, but yeah.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 13, 2010, 09:26:53 pm »

Your first playthrough of Half-Life is only great the first time.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11