Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11

Author Topic: Scary enemies in games  (Read 13333 times)

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Scary enemies in games
« Reply #120 on: April 29, 2010, 01:11:05 pm »

awesome!

!@#$ I wish I still had that, or kept track of my discs :P  Did you ever get to the end? I thought it was rather disappointing...
We are who we are, depending on who we were.

runiq

• Bay Watcher
  • Jabber: runiq at draugr dot de
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art account.
« Reply #121 on: April 29, 2010, 02:59:12 pm »

awesome!

!@#$ I wish I still had that, or kept track of my discs :P  Did you ever get to the end? I thought it was rather disappointing...

I got myself a cheap 1.5TB external HD recently, so archiving is not the problem here :P

Nope, didn't get to the end… I didn't even get very far. Used to play it with a friend quite a while ago and IIRC we got as far as that weird other dimension, but we couldn't quite figure out how to get back out or something… Ah no, wait, we did get out and got those strange "landmines" which wouldn't do jack against the armed monks, and we dropped the game shortly after that :/

Okay, back on topic: Has anybody tried the Mondo Games? As I already mentioned, I'm kind of a scaredy-cat, so I loved them. :D

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 29, 2010, 03:32:18 pm »

Want to never sleep again? Garrett seems very apprehensive about the whole mission into the Cradle, even before he knows its secrets. Yet afterwards he acts fine about it and the game quickly comes to a close. Also of note is that the little girl, who herself is part of the Cradle seems to not be attempting to trap you forever. Dosen't that seem odd, that a little girl wouldn't go the same way as the rest of the Cradel's inhabitants? Furthermore, after Garrett jumps off of the top of the Otherworld Cradle the mission ends instantly. By now I am sure you see where I am going with this. Garrett never left the Cradle. He ended up sucuming to it like everyone else, and dosen't even know it. Sweet dreams.
LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU GARRET LIVED HAPPILY EVER AFTER.

But yeah, those shaking twiching lobotomy victims that make the lights flicker wherever they walked were some of the most terrifying creatures I have ever seen. I never figured out how to permanently kill them, because I was working so hard at avoiding them.

Another thing? ReDeads. The brown shambling grotesqueries that paralyze you with their unearthly screams, walk slowly towards you, latch onto your head and then either rape or strangle you to death. Good thing you can blast them into oblivion with the ocarina.

Kaiern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 30, 2010, 01:48:02 pm »

The Husks in Mass Effect 1 and 2 always freak me out when they start running towards me. Creepy little bastards.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 02:08:52 pm by Kaiern »

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 30, 2010, 01:55:15 pm »

The squid-creatures in Space Invaders
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 30, 2010, 05:41:27 pm »

Chzo.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 30, 2010, 06:43:03 pm »

Chzo.

Calabath

Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 30, 2010, 06:53:18 pm »

I'm of the firm belief that anyone who isn't scared on some basic animal level while playing modern scare games....just doesn't have a good enough 5.1 surround sound system.

I love to scare myself silly. Turn the lights off, crank the sound up. When things are quiet, and then someone blasts you with a shotgun or something....that shit scares you. Creep out levels with lots of ambient music and sfx, directional 5.1 so you can hear the whispers behind you....

Yeah. Sound is like 50% to 75% of the scare for me.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 30, 2010, 07:10:48 pm »

When your in the spaceship in 7 days a skeptic and HE starts coming for you after everyone else is dead and you cant kill him... God im so easily scared by the chzo mythos if you want t know what its like you should see deceased crabs playthough on the whole group (5 days > 7 days > trilbys notes > 6 Days) I mean horror is bad when you see something like piramid head but when you cannot kill people it makes it so much more scary, knowing that whatever may come you can only run
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 01, 2010, 04:09:43 am »

Reminds me of L4D. I remember playing the game, when a hunter jumped at me from nowhere... and the guy beside me fell off his chair in fright. He didn't even hear anything, it was funny.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 02, 2010, 07:47:01 am »

Speaking of L4D, the boomer bile scares me. Boomers usually aren't a problem, just kill them at a distance or right-click punch them away before shooting, but when that bile goes over your screen not only do zombies come out of the woodwork to kill you but you can't see jack. More than once I've completely unloaded onto a teammate while covered in that green slime, not fun.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 03, 2010, 04:36:32 am »

The fucking Butcher.

Ahhh, fresh meat.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 03, 2010, 03:42:50 pm »

wow that brings me back...

Diablo 1 was a pretty scary game generally, especially since I was like 8 when I played it... those catacombs with monsters sprinkled in just the right amount in all the right places made it nerve wracking just to go around a corner...
We are who we are, depending on who we were.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #133 on: May 03, 2010, 06:17:30 pm »

After playing some classic Tomb Raider I. Those freaking Atlantean creatures. Especially those Screechers that look like humanoid skinless cats. Hearing them nearby and having a group of them jump after you, yikes. But the first time you come across the centaur (the first Atlantean creature) in the Rome/Greece area is a definite surprise. Go in to the shrine with 2 statues in front. collect the key, get out and... "Where did the statue go?", and then this big skinless horse thing comes charging towards you hurling fireballs and such.

Apparently all the Atlanteans in that game don't like wearing any skin at all.

runiq

• Bay Watcher
  • Jabber: runiq at draugr dot de
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art account.
« Reply #134 on: May 03, 2010, 06:44:10 pm »

The fucking Butcher.

Ahhh, fresh meat.

Hahaha, loved that. :D

* The tingling sound the gold coins always made me a little uneasy.
* The music in the first few levels. Just awesome.
* The stalkers. Whenever you kill one of these bastards, it sounds like you just spilled a bathtub full of blood right over your feet...
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11