Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40d] Fell mood involving dwarf with a tomb  (Read 1674 times)

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
[40d] Fell mood involving dwarf with a tomb
« on: February 16, 2010, 02:54:17 pm »

(I've checked "known bugs list" and searched this forum but didn't find anything. IF this thing was already reported, I apologize.)

*ahem*

During tantrum spiral one of my dwarf got fell mood. Claiming butcher's shop he/she proceed to murder my gem setter, which happened to pass by. And was quite a good gem setter, mind ye.
However.
Because I prefer making tombs to bedrooms for my dwarfs, unlucky victim had already designated burial chamber and mere seconds after the act, his body was hauled to his grave. The murderer stood still. Later I removed gem cutter's coffin, but neither did moody dwarf collect the body, nor did he kill another dwarf. He did however went berserk after some time, hehe.

In short: dwarfes with fell mood will "get stuck" if their first victim already has a designated tomb.

I'm guessing this is a bug, aye?

Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
Re: [40d] Fell mood involving dwarf with a tomb
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 07:02:42 pm »

You're fine, it looks new to me too.

I'd go with "yes, bug".
The notion of friends and family fighting a mood-dwarf for the corpse does sound like an interesting possible feature, but that's slightly offtopic.

Should be easy to reproduce too, which is nice.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 06:48:01 am »

Quote from: CobaltKobold link=topic=49648.msg1035846#msg1035846 date=1266364962g
The notion of friends and family fighting a mood-dwarf for the corpse
Now THIS is what I call splendid idea.

And thanks for the answer.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 05:12:13 am »

That seems odd that someone else "claimed" the corpse for a job before he did, and that he didn't go and get it after removing the coffin.  Do you know if it will still fail if the victim only gets taken to a non tomb coffin? 
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 05:16:36 am by o_O[WTFace] »
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 04:12:24 pm »

A bit of a necro but just because I do not like to leave open questions unanswered.

This "claiming the corpse" job is exactly what I was pointing out. Seems to me that after you designate a tomb there is something in the game mechanics that simply overrules everything else that could happen to a body of the tomb owner, in this case, being used in a fell mood.
Removing the coffin did not work because I was either too late (body rotted olthough it seems too fast to me) or maybe when placed in a coffin, a corpse stops functioning as one, but rather becomes part of a coffin, that can never be really "moved" or used again. This page says contents fall out, but maybe once being in makes them loose some "use in a fell mood" tag or something. Just a wild guess though.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 05:56:17 pm »

It's likely that the "haul corpse to workshop" task simply got canceled once the corpse became unavailable, and that it never gets started again if canceled.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

The Bismuth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 09:09:19 pm »

Does this mean you can't do the repeated {forbid} trick on a dwarf in a fell mood? If it does then it can only be a bug.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 03:31:41 am »

It's likely that the "haul corpse to workshop" task simply got canceled once the corpse became unavailable, and that it never gets started again if canceled.
Yes, I meant something along those lines.

Does this mean you can't do the repeated {forbid} trick on a dwarf in a fell mood? If it does then it can only be a bug.
Sorry, not quite familiar with this trick unless you are talking about forbid-outdors-Planepacked-bug. Which gives me extraordinary idea. If this bug would also aply in fell mood...

CaptApollo12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2010, 04:59:49 pm »

Muhuhahahahahahahaha!  Come here 200 dwarf dwarf-fortress. My dwarf bone ring needs more  menacing spikey ribs!
"MONTARON!  You are so AGGRAVATING!   'Tis disturbing to my demeanor..."

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2010, 06:44:36 pm »

Sorry, not quite familiar with this trick unless you are talking about forbid-outdors-Planepacked-bug. Which gives me extraordinary idea. If this bug would also aply in fell mood...
There're other forbidding tricks. If you forbid a component already claimed at the workshop, and then unforbid it when they discover it's gone and go for a replacement, you end up with both components used in the artifact. So you can (up to) double your artifact size. I don't know if this means you can forbid a fell dwarf's hauled corpse and they'll go off and kill someone else, or not.

More relevantly, if a dwarf has a claim to an object - say, hauling a corpse to a stockpile, coffin or tomb - then you can forbid it and then unforbid it, the object registered as 'lost', and the job will be cancelled. Usually if you do this when you have only one of an object, the moody dwarf will get dibs on it for his job for it comes up again in the cycle for hauling. But, it sounds like this needs testing with fell moods / corpses.

praguepride

• Bay Watcher
  • DF is serious business!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 11:39:24 am »

My guess is that to prevent the fell dwaf from murdering Dwarf A and then claiming Dead Dwarf B's body, the two jobs are linked.

The issue I think is that there is a split second between the fell dwarf killing the other dwarf and then using the body as a material. In that split second gap between closing the old job and opening the new job, the "dwarf to coffin" job was able to sneak in. The fell dwarf was unable to continue as the body had been claimed, and because I don't think it's programmed for the fell dwarf to continously scan for items, he just sat there unable to do anything. With regular artifacts, they continuously scan for materials, so if you forbid one they'll either claim another one or wait and scan until they can find one agani.

I think fell dwarves don't scan continously because you don't want the fell dwarf claiming a random body after he killed a dwarf. So if that job is interrupted by anything, the fell dwarf becomes stuck.

Probable fix would be that if the job ends without him producing an artifact, he'll slaughter a new dwarf instead. Also, a pause would probably need to be put into the "put dwarf into coffin" so that coffin-ing always happens after artifacting, but still before stockpiling.
Man, dwarves are such a**holes!

Even automatic genocide would be a better approach