Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The perfect fighting combination  (Read 1610 times)

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The perfect fighting combination
« on: February 16, 2010, 04:25:49 am »

After trying all kinds of weapons, I think I've figured out the most awesome combination of skills for adventuring:  thrower + wrestler + spearman.  The trick is I sold an Iron Man statue to buy two high quality spears (a masterwork bismuth bronze and an exceptional iron one), so I carry both a good primary spear and a good backup spear.

I throw the first spear from a distance, then I close with the second spear.  If that sticks in I use my wrestling skill to twist it.  I've actually managed to grab hold of two stuck spears simultaneously and twisted them both.

Or, if I don't feel like throwing and wrestling, having a backup spear means if one gets stuck I don't have to wrestle it out; I can pull the second one from my pack and keep fighting.  It never gets boring because I can change the strategy every time.

This adventuring run has gone well too because I happened to recruit a lasher, and it's a good complement to the spear because the spear causes focused damage while his whip causes general damage and takes out the limbs.  But this lasher is BADASS.  I think he must be one of my retired adventurers.  He walks into a room and takes out everything in the room before I have a chance to do anything.  The only drawback is I don't get a chance to fight half the time.  He ran into an Iron Man and knocked its head off in the first turn!  Now I carry around the iron man head and throw it at things, heh heh.

Anyhow, what's your favorite weapon/attack combination?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 04:28:50 am by denito »
My wife: "Are you playing that midget fort game again?"

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
Re: The perfect fighting combination
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 04:30:00 am »

I throw scimitars.
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 05:22:29 am »

A whip and a spear are fairly effective - one has [NOSTUCKINS] and bleeds the enemy out, the other has [CRITBONUS:2] but sticks in a lot.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 11:18:57 am »

the bad news on the spear and whip combo is that it sucks big time vs zombies.
so get a sword as back up.

elf spears are light so get some of them to throw.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Atlar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 12:57:46 pm »

Mace ftw! And pray that you get high strength. You will either stun or knock your enemy unconcious with the first blow which is awesome if you are sorrounded by a pack of enemies or you will smash their heads right away OR you pierce(!) them with your weapons spikes. Has all advantages of a hammer and a sword, love it. Besides that I like to throw my robbed copper coins  ;D

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 01:49:58 pm »

I'm running hammer/wrestling/throwing. Exceptional adamantine hammer, wrestling when I feel sadistic, and I have a set of steel bolts for throwing.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Rat Of Wisdom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 03:01:53 pm »

Artifact platinum spear, wrestling, a crossbow I got in exchange for an artifact hat (along with over 9000 friggin' coins and enough bolts to slow me down). Currently training up crossbowman so I can hit the goblin tower next to my fort (on that note, what's the best weapon combo to waste demons with?)
Evidently, Dorf Philosopher Uristmedes only figured out the Uristmedes screw. And he ran around naked and covered in water, blood, and vomit all the time, so any discoveries made in his 4/7 bathtub went unnoticed by dorf science.

Atlar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 04:52:36 pm »

DEMON mmh was a epic fight: Pounded on him with my morningstar, he was severly wounded, both his legs were broken, but then he managed to get a damn fireball through my block which broke both of my arms, my shoulders and my spine BUT I kept on fighting throwing Iron bolts at him with my teeth while crawling on the floor. After the second bolt piercing out his last eye and his brain he finally died and shortly afterwards I suffocated, too... great fun!

Jervous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 06:06:37 pm »

I usually am a maceman with a flail, with good ambushing and throwing. I sneak and kill creatures, burn them and turn them into bones. Bones stack, so I use them for throwing!

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2010, 02:37:45 am »

thrower + axeman.

DECAPITATION FROM AFAR!
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2010, 02:43:17 am »

Yeah I prefer axes too because they dismember things and are effective against undead. But spears are more effective against larger foes like dragons and giants where you want to damage their vital organs first, thus I carry a spear whenever I can get a hold on one and throw it when I have an opportunity.

And I always train wresting up if I don't consider my adventuring as a quick rush to some fun and to the death. High wrestling means lots of dodging and much better overall survivability.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2010, 03:10:36 am »

Yah bunch of pansies. A real man uses only his fists and wrestling to kill the world.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2010, 04:55:43 am »

His fists? HIS FISTS?

Bahh weakling!
A real man bludgeons his opponent to death with a WORM!!
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2010, 06:40:34 am »

Expert Hammerman
Shield User
Armour User
Novice Swimmer

Train up your throwing skill till either your armour doesn't slow you down or you get a speed boost. Go fight native animals. Then, go waste some elves. Steal their wooden weapons for throwing and use the shield glitch to pick up all their shields. Next, take the humans, so you can get more shields (and possibly a much needed armour/weapon upgrade) and then take on the goblins. I say the goblins last because of my tendency to run into their damn demon lord!

The kobolds/megabeasts/semi-megabeasts left in the world will fear your wrath as you kill everything.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2010, 07:12:30 am »

His fists? HIS FISTS?

Bahh weakling!
A real man bludgeons his opponent to death with a WORM!!
A worm? Only little girls fight with worms.
A TRUE man beats all his enemies to death with a puddle of vomit!
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.
Pages: [1] 2