Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Why do Americans not use kilofeet and centipounds?  (Read 11594 times)

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Why do Americans not use kilofeet and centipounds?
« on: February 16, 2010, 12:25:36 am »

Metric measurements are very useful in that the prefixes allow for quick conversions between units. However, Americans use imperial measurements, because of the difficulty in converting and because some people simply prefer to use inches and pounds. My question: Why are units such as kilofeet (1000 feet) and centipounds (1/100th of a pound) not used? It has all of the practicality of a metric unit (aside from the standardization) and they are very easy to conceptualize if you already know what a pound or a foot is.

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why do Americans not use kilofeet and centipounds?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 12:31:20 am »

Tradesmen and the Construction Industry was built around the Imperial System.  Converting designs and set ways is difficult when it is so ingrained across the entire industry.  Large construction projects become very complicated if a subcontracted company uses a different measuring system.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 12:34:19 am by Qloos »

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 12:34:35 am »

Because it sounds silly? if I want to say 1000 pounds, I say 1000 pounds. mixing imperial and Metric is like wearing a Hawaiian shirt with a tux.

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 12:37:17 am »

Because the Imperial measuring system is American and using anything metric is a danger to their freedom.
(just reflecting some folk's opinion there)

But actually, kilopounds are used, as in kilopounds/square inch. Frequently seen in wires and other areas where tensile strength mattes.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 01:03:58 am »

Tradesmen and the Construction Industry was built around the Imperial System.  Converting designs and set ways is difficult when it is so ingrained across the entire industry.  Large construction projects become very complicated if a subcontracted company uses a different measuring system.

This is an answer.

Because the Imperial measuring system is American and using anything metric is a danger to their freedom.
(just reflecting some folk's opinion there)

This is just another jab at lolamerica.

With that out of the way, we continue to use the Imperial system because it is, as Qloos says, deeply ingrained in our culture.  It's just what we use.  The scientific community by and large prefers metric, but for the rest of us cultural/industrial inertia are in effect.  If you don't like it, blame the British.  :P

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 04:56:26 am »

Because change is scary, and if we did declare that in three years, everything would be converted to the Metric system, four years from now you'd still have people wondering wtf is going on. Just look at the clusterfuck a couple years back with the Analogue TV to Digital TV switch that had been planned years in advance, had several announcements, TV PSA Campaigns, Radio PSA campaigns, the works, and yet millions of people failed to listen and adapt before the change.
!!&!!

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 05:06:07 am »

Other countries managed it well enough.

Because change is scary, and if we did declare that in three years, everything would be converted to the Metric system, four years from now you'd still have people wondering wtf is going on.

This is why you run both systems in parallel for a while. We (uk) still have both pints and litres on lots of liquids and probably will for years yet as well as miles and kilometres on road markings and speedometers. But eventually the change will be complete and everyone using the old system will be dead and so not confused.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Mr Tk

• Bay Watcher
  • Would you like a mint? It's only waffer thin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 07:14:15 am »

Weirdly enough the US does use Metric a little in everyday us.

First is your currency: 100c = $1
Most scientists use metric.
Alcohol bottles generally have millilitres on them.
And if you've watched enough movies and and TV shows were they go on about targets only be a few 'klicks' away, a klick is a kilometre. That's right, the US military uses metric.

But as for Kilopounds and centipounds, why say that when you can just say 1000 pounds, or 1/100th of a pound? You are saying the same thing so people won't bother to learn the new system.
First ten minutes of play I ate my loincloth and then got some limbs torn off by a super friendly rat. Thumbs up from me.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 07:47:24 am »

American industry, civility and academia use both.

Its a luxury. Its protected by a sense of national identity and cultural backing. We buy soda in liters but milk in gallons. This isnt the only example, but the most prominent in every day life. Internally its mostly the imperial system, externally its the metric system.

It would take economic pressure to adopt the metric system, for what is viewed as a small gain and a large cost to implement. The US tried doing so in the 1970 under Carter, it was meant with a a lot of resistance, once the economy started to improve, it was dropped.

Personally when I was taught about the system in Jr. High, I fucking loved it. Base ten, holly crap! That so awesome!
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 08:26:10 am »

My car gets 30 rods to the hogshead and that's how I likes it!  :P
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 06:35:13 pm by Wiles »

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 08:34:43 am »

Because change is scary, and if we did declare that in three years, everything would be converted to the Metric system, four years from now you'd still have people wondering wtf is going on. Just look at the clusterfuck a couple years back with the Analogue TV to Digital TV switch that had been planned years in advance, had several announcements, TV PSA Campaigns, Radio PSA campaigns, the works, and yet millions of people failed to listen and adapt before the change.
Disgruntled Measurer: "Hello? Yes, I'd like to report that my measurements are no longer working."
Measuring Help Line: "Did you purchase the converter box?"
Disgruntled Measurer: "Converter box, what's that?"
Measuring Help Line: "It converts all your measurements into metric so they are usable."
Disgruntled Measurer, now a bit embarrased: "Oh... Well, I better go find one."

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2010, 08:55:26 am »

Metric measurements are very useful in that the prefixes allow for quick conversions between units. However, Americans use imperial measurements, because of the difficulty in converting and because some people simply prefer to use inches and pounds. My question: Why are units such as kilofeet (1000 feet) and centipounds (1/100th of a pound) not used? It has all of the practicality of a metric unit (aside from the standardization) and they are very easy to conceptualize if you already know what a pound or a foot is.

If we were going to do that, it'd be just as easy to straight up start using the metric system.

But that would be sensible.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2010, 12:02:44 pm »

the US customary system is based on English systems of the 1700s, while the Imperial system was defined in 1824 not the same.
note that all your pints are smaller than uk ones so Rumors that the U.S. cant hold it drink speard from the differences.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2010, 12:07:02 pm »

And then buildings were three times as tall and three times as wide, sometimes using too much material and sometimes not enough.  Society collapsed before we could get used to the change.
Shoes...

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2010, 01:00:13 pm »

Not to mention some of those products we buy would come in smaller quantities. Life just isn't about that in the states. For some it is, but no one big can really say they care about them.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5