Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: My history class is awesome(gospel of armok added!!)  (Read 17056 times)

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
Re: My history class is awesome(gospel of armok added!!)
« Reply #90 on: February 22, 2010, 11:52:45 pm »

This is what I need, to not fail my classes. Assignments like this. Oh man how awesome it would be.

Have i mentioned that our tests and exams are open book, in exchange for having less time to do them?

This IS a college class, btw

I hate you. Gimmie your classes :D

Hagerstown Community College. Andy Keyser, HIS 101 and 102. Hagerstown Maryland, 7 week classes
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

municipalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • There really isn't anything to do there
« Reply #91 on: February 23, 2010, 03:47:09 pm »

This sounds like a pretty fun "learning" experience  ;). One thing that might interest people here are the 'New Obsidian' sections from Jane Jacobs' The Economy of Cities. She gives a really good account of how early cities probably formed - and most importantly, how they in fact came before agricultural innovations that created a 'food surplus'. Things like farming and animal husbandry started in cities, because that's where you would have had the conglomerations of people and things (seeds/animals) to figure this stuff out.

Here's a decent, but less detailed, summary (from here):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also of interest, a game which my girlfriend played in one of her high school classes, Steve Jackson's Tribes. The game isn't bad, but really requires at least 8 people (and preferably twice that) to add enough depth of choice.
We need a common enemy we can magnify into a monster, whisper about, conspire about, hang in effigy.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 23, 2010, 06:40:37 pm »

oh, and we recently signed a treaty of trade and mutual defense with another tribe. in addition to helping each other in war, we're exchanging goods. we're sending them cattle, and guess what they're sending us?

Beer. we'll have an army of drunken, fanatical, blood-loving warriors in no time.

"Madness? THIS... IS... SPAAAaaaaaaaaa..." *thump* gurgle...

was that him leaping headfirst into the rum barrel?

Quote from: someone
Horses are the way to go but don't lag with other animals because things like Oxen can be quite helpful to. Once you have a good start on weapon making you need to have a group of warriors that are always out traveling as mercenary's. If the other groups use you instead of an actual army then when it comes time you will be able to completely obliterate them from either lack of actual combat experience or just a general lack of an army all together.
You need to show your power. destroy someone. slaughter their livestock, forage from their ground, burn their fields. show you are ruthless and then send out merc's.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

veerserif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 24, 2010, 07:35:40 am »

Quote from: someone
Horses are the way to go but don't lag with other animals because things like Oxen can be quite helpful to. Once you have a good start on weapon making you need to have a group of warriors that are always out traveling as mercenary's. If the other groups use you instead of an actual army then when it comes time you will be able to completely obliterate them from either lack of actual combat experience or just a general lack of an army all together.
You need to show your power. destroy someone. slaughter their livestock, forage from their ground, burn their fields. show you are ruthless and then send out merc's.
Don't -- foster good relations with a couple of nearby tribes, convert to the worship of glorious ARMOK, and take over the world!

Untouchable

• Bay Watcher
  • Gary Busey Smile Time Variety Hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 24, 2010, 08:20:21 am »

So, last week a group with a fairly peaceful god sent a priest over to us to explain his religion.

get the results back this week, and guess what?

My tribe has fallen head-over-heels for armok, and while said priest found a few converts, most of the tribe believed he was evil, and he fled our village fearing for his life.

A good time was had by all then?

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 24, 2010, 04:42:33 pm »

So, last week a group with a fairly peaceful god sent a priest over to us to explain his religion.

My tribe has fallen head-over-heels for armok, and while said priest found a few converts, most of the tribe believed he was evil, and he fled our village fearing for his life.

To be exact, consulting the Book of Armaments... "And the Lord did grin, and people did feast upon the lambs, and sloths, and carp, and anchovies, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and fruit bats... "
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

druid91

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 24, 2010, 04:47:21 pm »

To be exact, consulting the Book of Armaments... "And the Lord did grin, and people did feast upon the lambs, and sloths, and carp, and anchovies, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and fruit bats... "
Skip a bit further pleas.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The least you could have done was throw down some booze and seasoning. Abyssal Monsters that Creatures of the Light Know Not Of aren't savages, y'know. Sharing's caring.

Chasted

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 26, 2010, 05:40:28 am »

I hate to break it to you but that group just committed a grave sin against your people.

You should have sacrificed the priest to Armok and had a feast in celebration

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 26, 2010, 05:50:12 am »

This class sounds substantially more awesome than any history class I've had.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

El-Ravager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 26, 2010, 07:05:34 am »

The only way to go on is to visit upon those heaten peacenicks what they visited upon you. Only instead of one priest you send the tribe and instead of trying to find converts, you make them convert, or make the rivers run red with their blood. It would be a good time to start a tradition about drinking the blood of your enemies, methinks.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 26, 2010, 06:28:00 pm »

Cult sacrificing is always a good way to convert...
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Saronsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 01, 2010, 05:39:37 pm »

Bump in hopes for an update :3
Wiki is wrong, the Demon has no body part with the [FLIER] tag. He is borne aloft by the winds of his furious rage.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 01, 2010, 06:23:27 pm »

So hows your bearded civilization now?

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 01, 2010, 08:31:07 pm »

well, this wendsday is the last day of class, so he's thinkming of how to end it. He says probably by some type of natural disaster.

last class, we found some tribes of wildmen in the mountains, so thats a possibiliy to end as well.

I'm tempted to ask him to end our civ by making a volcano come up under our city, returning our people to the blood of the earth
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 01, 2010, 08:46:23 pm »

well, this wendsday is the last day of class, so he's thinkming of how to end it. He says probably by some type of natural disaster.

last class, we found some tribes of wildmen in the mountains, so thats a possibiliy to end as well.

I'm tempted to ask him to end our civ by making a volcano come up under our city, returning our people to the blood of the earth

Volcanic eruption is the only suitable end.

edit: Wait, no, a horrible catastrophe while trying to use the volcano for your own ends is the only suitable end.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8