Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: My history class is awesome(gospel of armok added!!)  (Read 17080 times)

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
Re: My history class is awesome...
« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2010, 06:31:11 pm »

and to add to Gren's arguement;

http://www.badassoftheweek.com/hussars.html
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2010, 07:42:07 pm »

Not entirely. Pikes suck against infantry, they require too much momentum to be useful compared to a sword or axe. After that first charge or so, that pike is useless and you drop it in favor of a close quarters weapon. What's more, if you can get your cavalry around the pikes they're just as devastating.

Dominant military force until guns may be overkill, but against enemies with flint spears they will give you a huge advantage. Seriously, horses are your best bet to make your tribe strong.
Oh no, pikes are pretty useless except in a pike wall. They do, however, counter cavalry decently. But cavalry are powerful, yeah.
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

Dragula

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 19, 2010, 07:16:51 am »

Riiight.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 19, 2010, 07:56:23 am »

That formation is bullshit. For some reason, the second row of pikes is missing.
Anyone slipping between those pikes will cause a huge bloodbath.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 19, 2010, 10:32:46 am »

Riiight.

I see your pikes, and raise you one group of Mongol Cavalry archers.

There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

Lidhuin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 19, 2010, 12:21:27 pm »

Riiight.

I see your pikes and raise you Polish Hussars

Their advantage? Their lances were about the same length, sometimes longer, than a pike, negating a pikeman's advantage, while retaining the ability to flank. They're quite badass though. Usually pikemen do beat cavalry. One reason, seen in peasants vs nobles, was that cavalry often wore very heavy armour and had trouble fighting on foot (especially in swampy areas), whereas peasant spearmen had little to encumber them and could easily swarm a downed knight. Kill the horse and the rider is pretty much out of the fight.

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 19, 2010, 01:20:07 pm »

Riiight.

Their advantage? Their lances were about the same length, sometimes longer, than a pike, negating a pikeman's advantage, while retaining the ability to flank. They're quite badass though. Usually pikemen do beat cavalry. One reason, seen in peasants vs nobles, was that cavalry often wore very heavy armour and had trouble fighting on foot (especially in swampy areas), whereas peasant spearmen had little to encumber them and could easily swarm a downed knight. Kill the horse and the rider is pretty much out of the fight.

I believe i already pointed them out a few posts ago.

but they were so awesome, they deserve a second mention

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 20, 2010, 06:09:38 am »

it sounds like an interesting way to study anthropology.  I see that youre basically assing off, otherwise you wouldnt be lagging behind the other groups and setting up human sacrifice just because it sounds cool.

But youre actually onto something that was very beneficial for early humans.  First, you say that you were starving.  Human sacrifice is a tried and true solution to that.  It should help you put your population in check, and motivate the survivors to work that much harder.

Second, you've established organized religion.  These days, Secular Humanists crap on the idea -- but we really wouldnt have dug ourselves out of the mud without it.  You cant line up a bunch of self-motivated anarchists or hippie communists and expect them to setup massive agricultural projects or errect giant stone monuments.  you have to have somebody shouting at them and telling them what to do.  And you really cant do that without either slavery or religoin.  or both.

so maybe you can leverage your new advantages, and turn your little civilization around.  It sounds like a fun project and, if it really interests you, you might do some extra reading or studying to see how you can gain other advantages in it.

You forgot to ention the whole "canabalism" thing

uran77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 20, 2010, 07:53:20 am »

Combine hussar type heavy cavalry and Mongolian mounted archers ad Mongolian terror tactics, to sate Arnok's Bloodlust

Lidhuin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 20, 2010, 10:50:04 am »

Riiight.

I believe i already pointed them out a few posts ago.

but they were so awesome, they deserve a second mention

Definitely.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 20, 2010, 11:43:05 pm »

Please take a look at what you have done to the Roleplaying games forum.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 21, 2010, 12:53:30 am »

Do things like this constantly spawn 100 games in the forum at the same time?
There was god games, and now tribal games…
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 21, 2010, 12:55:28 am »

I would guess so :D
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 21, 2010, 12:32:15 pm »

Hate to burst the bubble and say it isn't because of this thread. We just love our Society type games down there.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My history class is awesome(gospel of armok added!!)
« Reply #74 on: February 21, 2010, 05:24:39 pm »

without further delay, the gospel of armok

Gospel of Armok, God of blood

Armok, he who is mightiest above all other things. Stronger then the rock, fiercer than the great North wind, Swifter than the desert hare. His is the blood of the world, the liquid fire that flows deep beneath the surface. His is the blood of the beasts, shed by them that we may live. His is our blood, that flows within us and give us passion, spirit, and the will to dominate all we see. He gave his blood to us, that we may be stronger than the worshippers of the soft elder gods, their blood diluted by falsities and lack of drive. And so, we must return that blood, so shall our warriors give it to him when we shed it on the field of battle.  So we shall dedicate the blood of our enemies to him, that he may take it up and remake them in a way more fitting to his thoughts. So speaks armok, and so we obey!
Blood for the Blood God!

Ritual of blood!( summer and winter solstice sacrifices)

(the preist holds the child up to the flames)
Armok! At the dawn of time you created us, your chosen race! You filled us with your blood, that we might be strong and crush our enemies. Here is new blood, fresh and strong, untainted by the ravages of time and labor! We give him/her to you, that his blood may be taken and spread into our people, that the children that shall follow will be given his/her blood by you and given to the children who shall come after!

(the priest casts the child into the fire)

That his blood may be reborn into a hundred strong men and women, who shall carry your divine truth with them, in battle and in trade, in anger and in peace. Let his blood go to them, and let his spirit be taken to your side and reborn as a Spirit of Fire, a messenger of your divine will! Let him serve you until the end of time, when all blood slows and all fires burn low. Let him then come forth with your mighty host and purge the world with your Holy Fire, and let him sow the seeds of a new race that shall reign for eternity in a paradise of your making!

(priest turns to the crowd and throws up his arms)

Blood for the Blood God!

(crowd)

Blood for the Blood God!

(people disperse for the feast afterwards)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8