Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: My history class is awesome(gospel of armok added!!)  (Read 17085 times)

Falconer Lombard

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Moep
    • View Profile
Re: My history class is awesome...
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2010, 05:33:03 pm »

I did something like this in history a few years ago. It was set up so that we pretty much had free reign. Class divided into three groups, I got one to myself.  ;D (Don't you love enriched classes?)

For homework we'd write up what our tribe would do the next day=week and the like. I was a tribe living on a steppe on the west side of the island. I also controlled the mountain peak. There was a small brook so I settled on it for easy farming and water.

We were given the vaguest instructions of how to play. Get x amount of items in y amount of years and you survive. Some tribes have the only source of x. Go.

I quickly secured a trade agreement with the coastal tribe to produce luxury goods so I'd have those out of the way. Produced an embargo act the next day which was hammered out and royally screwed over the third tribe. Then proceeded to raid the third tribe and starve them before making a final assault. Took them as slaves and conquered most of the coastal tribe.

It was a lot of fun.
Initiate of the Moep

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2010, 06:29:55 pm »

I love history class simulations.

We got to re-enact the first world war with fake nations. The entire war started over the fact that when someone asked if we wanted to be allies, I said no. They had just wanted friendly relations.

That's diplomacy for you.

I would love to play something like this, but I don't know if I'll ever be able to do something like this. It would be awesome to do it though.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

mrbobbyg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2010, 07:36:41 pm »

So, if you're experts in animal husbandry, you may have a secret ally in germs.

Check out Guns, Germs, and Steel, it's a book, and one of the arguments in it was that close contact with animals gave people immunity to diseases like smallpox, which there were essentially able to use to defeat other peoples.
!!Elves!! would actually be kinda cool as a civ symbol.  !!Clowns!!, however, you get the impression they're on fire of their own free, malicious, evil, will.

Also, much scarier if literally clowns.

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2010, 07:56:00 pm »

So, if you're experts in animal husbandry, you may have a secret ally in germs.

Check out Guns, Germs, and Steel, it's a book, and one of the arguments in it was that close contact with animals gave people immunity to diseases like smallpox, which there were essentially able to use to defeat other peoples.
According to that book, animal domestication in general leads to badass civilizations, namely horses. Horses can be ridden and can pull plows. Also, be sure to settle where you can make steel weapons (easy to start fires + tons of iron), and invent writing so you can record your conquesting tactics for later use.
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2010, 09:53:24 pm »

I've never done anything liek this before in any of my classes. Dang it!
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2010, 10:05:53 pm »

Actually, I thought horses were not good for plowing?  Not sure where I learned that though.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2010, 10:15:31 pm »

Actually, I thought horses were not good for plowing?  Not sure where I learned that though.

One would think that oxen would be a better choice. I think it's because you can feed an ox less than a horse, which has to have a specific diet, but don't quote me on that. However, as far as I know, you can use horses for plows.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2010, 11:10:57 pm »

One would think that oxen would be a better choice. I think it's because you can feed an ox less than a horse, which has to have a specific diet, but don't quote me on that. However, as far as I know, you can use horses for plows.
I'm not sure, but I think the book does mention cows pulling plows. But horses are certainly strong enough, AFAIK.

Ravenplucker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2010, 01:48:45 am »

Horses were not as good for pulling plows because the straps that attached them to the plow tended to choke them.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2010, 06:22:12 am »

Hence why you research Horse Collar at the Mill :P

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

On a more serious note, in this exercise what are the actual advantages of having domestication mastery?
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2010, 09:54:41 am »

animal's breed faster, it's easier to catch and domsticate new types of animals, new animal-relatd things come easier.
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2010, 11:29:09 am »

Im so fucking jealous! rgeriuhbfviuoeshfehwiuogerwiucuiehfiuheriuvhiurvh. What country do you live in?
The only school project that could only compare to that awesomeness was in social studies we had to build our own island.
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2010, 12:40:20 pm »

So I'm curious. Is this a sandbox type game or is this a "you get cards with stuff on them that decides what happens to your nation"? If this is total sandbox, you're in a good position. Animal husbandry will be enough to let you grow while the other tribes struggle with agrarian technology, then once they develop agriculture you can conquer and subjugate one of them to grow you food, or just steal the technology. Develop cavalry, they'll be the dominant military force up until firearms are developed.

We did something similar to this in 8th grade with the Oregon Trail (not the game). We divided up into "caravans" and headed west. We decided on goods, which we brought mainly food and hunting gear (a damn good call) with some stuff to fix the wagons and basic tools, then we got cards with random stuff on them. Unfortunately, while the instructions that came with the game mentioned that the cards would be "fun because they may have good or bad stuff", 19 of the 20 cards pulled ranged from bad to wtf was the card writer thinking. I think one card gave another group +1 to their morale or something, but all the others were "all the odd numbered groups catch cholera" or "half your food rots". It sucked.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2010, 05:14:28 pm »

Actually, Grendus, pikes ended Calvary, and crossbows and firearms ended pikes.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2010, 05:34:06 pm »

Not entirely. Pikes suck against infantry, they require too much momentum to be useful compared to a sword or axe. After that first charge or so, that pike is useless and you drop it in favor of a close quarters weapon. What's more, if you can get your cavalry around the pikes they're just as devastating.

Dominant military force until guns may be overkill, but against enemies with flint spears they will give you a huge advantage. Seriously, horses are your best bet to make your tribe strong.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8