Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: My history class is awesome(gospel of armok added!!)  (Read 17088 times)

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My history class is awesome...
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2010, 06:24:28 pm »

We are ARMOK's Childeren
Prepare to join our tribe
Resistance is futile, magma will be apllied to destroy the resistance
MagmaOn: Apply directly to the resistance!
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2010, 07:25:31 pm »

Why the hell didn't my teacher ever do something like this?! >:O
Makes me sad, so very, very sad....

Have you considered creating an underground city? :D
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2010, 08:14:14 pm »

Realistically? That'd be very hard. Lack of ventilation, lack of light...
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

ShadowLuigi147

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McPicard has entered a martial trance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2010, 09:09:10 pm »

Eh, if his people grow beards and adapt, they'll be fine. Plus, torches.
Ah, Dwarf Fortress. The only game where it's considered perfectly normal to discuss the most efficient method of farming and butchering friendly sentient beings for their valuable bones...

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2010, 10:05:42 pm »

Someone has to make a game of this in the Games And Roleplaying Thread, I'm not good at organising.
Hey-yo

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2010, 11:31:46 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoilered for the epic idea we stole from a community college nearby.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2010, 11:38:34 pm »

it sounds like an interesting way to study anthropology.  I see that youre basically assing off, otherwise you wouldnt be lagging behind the other groups and setting up human sacrifice just because it sounds cool.

But youre actually onto something that was very beneficial for early humans.  First, you say that you were starving.  Human sacrifice is a tried and true solution to that.  It should help you put your population in check, and motivate the survivors to work that much harder.

Second, you've established organized religion.  These days, Secular Humanists crap on the idea -- but we really wouldnt have dug ourselves out of the mud without it.  You cant line up a bunch of self-motivated anarchists or hippie communists and expect them to setup massive agricultural projects or errect giant stone monuments.  you have to have somebody shouting at them and telling them what to do.  And you really cant do that without either slavery or religoin.  or both.

so maybe you can leverage your new advantages, and turn your little civilization around.  It sounds like a fun project and, if it really interests you, you might do some extra reading or studying to see how you can gain other advantages in it.

Spaghetti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2010, 02:52:06 am »

im pretty sure the tribe has to be human right?

Banana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2010, 03:42:23 am »

« Last Edit: July 17, 2022, 08:46:43 am by Banana »

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2010, 06:00:06 am »

did the teacher include volcanoes?  Its times to flood the world!

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2010, 08:56:42 am »

it sounds like an interesting way to study anthropology.  I see that youre basically assing off, otherwise you wouldnt be lagging behind the other groups and setting up human sacrifice just because it sounds cool.

But youre actually onto something that was very beneficial for early humans.  First, you say that you were starving.  Human sacrifice is a tried and true solution to that.  It should help you put your population in check, and motivate the survivors to work that much harder.

Second, you've established organized religion.  These days, Secular Humanists crap on the idea -- but we really wouldnt have dug ourselves out of the mud without it.  You cant line up a bunch of self-motivated anarchists or hippie communists and expect them to setup massive agricultural projects or errect giant stone monuments.  you have to have somebody shouting at them and telling them what to do.  And you really cant do that without either slavery or religoin.  or both.

so maybe you can leverage your new advantages, and turn your little civilization around.  It sounds like a fun project and, if it really interests you, you might do some extra reading or studying to see how you can gain other advantages in it.

its not that were lagging behind that much. more of a " they have pottery and some luckily found obsidian vs. our wicker baskets and flint" and like i said, were way better at animal husbandry than anyone else so far.

Also, i picked a god like Armok because the ceremonies, besides what you provides, would be large, flashy and impressive. if a people with no god are given the choice between that and a god where people just sit and meditate all day, they're more likely to choose the former.
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

Dragula

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2010, 09:27:24 am »

Fail to see how big flashy ceremonies would aid a starving civilization. But good luck to you!

Morgus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2010, 10:17:15 am »

Large flashy ceremonies would import to the watchers that the deity the ceremony was dedicated to would be very strong. It's worked throughout history for tribal nations in the americas and africa.
Because it's so amusing to hear stories of the last recruit, pressganged into defending the fortress, making the critical shot that saves all the battle-hardened veterans... then going crazy because the cats have filled the dining room with miasma.

Dragula

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2010, 12:04:41 pm »

It is also a huge drain on the civilizations coffers. Look at the Aztecs.

Morgus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2010, 01:48:44 pm »

True, but also look at how they viewed their economy. To the europeans, it was a huge amount of wealth. To the Aztecs, it jeans and a t-shirt. Relativity is the key.
Because it's so amusing to hear stories of the last recruit, pressganged into defending the fortress, making the critical shot that saves all the battle-hardened veterans... then going crazy because the cats have filled the dining room with miasma.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8