Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: My history class is awesome(gospel of armok added!!)  (Read 17055 times)

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
My history class is awesome(gospel of armok added!!)
« on: February 15, 2010, 09:53:59 pm »

So, our class assignment is to get into groups and design a civ from scratch. Basically, build a city and population, and eventually trade with other groups.

So, my group's Civ wasn't doing so well, we lost a lot of our food when winter got to it, people were doing odd rituals to try to make it better, several had died of starvation. I decided i had to take drastic action. We didn't have a god to worship yet, so...

"and so, It came to the elder in a dream. A god of living fire, who commanded "sacrifice the firstborn of one family to the fire on winter Solstice, and again on Summer Solstice, from now until the end of time. do this, and he shall raise your people to glory and smite your enemies to dust. So speaks my Master...

ARMOK, GOD OF BLOOD!!!

My teacher loved it, and everyone in my group is now slightly terrified of me

« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 05:24:10 pm by twwolfe »
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: My history class is awesome...
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 09:58:52 pm »

Hahaha! Very NICE!!
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 11:15:17 pm »

even better, we made contact with another group's civ, so we sent a missionary of Armok over to them.they sent one of thier religion's missionaries as well, but thiers is a peaceful pair of gods, who shall soon be subsumed in the glory of

ARMOK, GOD of BLOOD!!
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 11:22:30 pm »

What is the specs for this project? I'm really curious.
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 11:25:07 pm »

Awesome, I wish we got projects like this at our school.  >:(

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 11:32:37 pm »

start out with 75 man, 75 women, and 100 children, and build a civilization from scratch. think a mix of Age of Empires and Civilization. we get a nice embark site, a brook with various fish, birds and plants, hardwood and mountains for stone withing a 6 hour walk. we write up plans for a year, two years, etc each week, and our teacher looks at the plans and decides how well we do. so far, my group seems to be lagging behind everyone in everything but animal husbandry, where we're way ahead of everyone else, so we need a powerful god to protect us. and i can't think of any more powerful than

ARMOK, GOD OF BLOOD!!!

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 11:38:42 pm »

I advise you begin a megaproject ASAP.

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 11:40:48 pm »

I advise you begin a megaproject ASAP.

we're still primitive and small, and I'm the only DF player in the group.

I'll see about getting a nice temple of Armok up in our next group

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 11:42:53 pm »

Once again, could you explain what exactly the project is? Like the whole thing?

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 11:48:46 pm »

start out with 75 man, 75 women, and 100 children, and build a civilization from scratch. think a mix of Age of Empires and Civilization. we get a nice embark site, a brook with various fish, birds and plants, hardwood and mountains for stone withing a 6 hour walk. forgot to add earlier, but there are wild sheep, goats and pigs in the area, which we can try to catch. we write up plans for a year,  then for the next two years, etc., each week, and our teacher looks at the plans and decides how well we do.

we start off as hunter-gatherers with knowledge of agriculture and domestication, and have to discover everything else. we're initially isolated, but it looks lie other groups are making contact by now.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2010, 11:49:55 pm »

Do the gods actually do anything? :D
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2010, 11:50:22 pm »

Once again, could you explain what exactly the project is? Like the whole thing?
They roleplay tribes of people, by writing out year plans for them.

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2010, 11:53:16 pm »

Do the gods actually do anything? :D
I'm guessing that the teacher may or may not factor religious intervention into his calculations. OP is hopeful that he does.
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2010, 11:57:51 pm »

at the very ;east, worshiping such a god should convince people that we are total badasses

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2010, 11:59:32 pm »

at the very ;east, worshiping such a god should convince people that we are total badasses

That makes me sad. ARMOK sacrifices should give you magical powers :D
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8