Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Garbage Furnace  (Read 1564 times)

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Garbage Furnace
« on: February 15, 2010, 05:42:54 pm »

So this is more of a little something when civics stuff gets implemented into Dwarf fortress, but can be used to handle the question of what to do with all that garbage.  I would suggest that dwarfs burn the garbage at a furnace.
From the description of the event, I think that your copy of Dwarf Fortress was on drugs when this happened. That's surely the only logical explanation for a human werewolf with deadly farts dying from it's own excrement after slaughtering some goblins comrades.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Garbage Furnace
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 06:28:31 pm »

Meh, I'll just atomsmash the garbage like I do refuse,stones,and nobles.

MUAHAA THE FRENCH

• Bay Watcher
  • you see my friend, we've both been boiled alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 06:36:13 pm »

I think this is a good idea but it should be a separate furnace called an Incinerator which generates smoke on the z+1 level, which quickly floods the room with smoke unless there's an air vent going upwards. all refuse piled into the furnace is lost, meaning you can't get Bone or Skins or Meat obviously, and any items designated for Incineration rather than Dumping will be destroyed (certain objects like stone or adamantine swords can't be incinerated). Easy way to get rid of all that garbage during sieges.

MUAHAA THE FRENCH

• Bay Watcher
  • you see my friend, we've both been boiled alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 06:43:12 pm »

also, we should get an item produceable called an Urn which can be used to cremate a dwarf at the incinerator, which could be a noble demand (Urist McBaron demands a Funeral Urn) or maybe a separate burial receptacle for pets? the urn is lighter and more valuable than a tomb and can be stacked in a furniture stockpile but otherwise is very similar to a regular burial receptacle.

also, when a noble dwarf who has a tomb containing an Urn and his personal coffin and a pet dies, the pet should be chucked into the incinerator to be sent to the afterlife with his master.

dermal_plating

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 06:53:46 pm »

There also should be a way of forcing sentient beings into the oven, against their will...

BradB

• Bay Watcher
  • I hate this site, it keeps me from playing!
    • View Profile
    • An awesome gaming news ticker, woweee!
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 06:03:31 am »

This is something that will probably come in the future regardless, suggestions or not. Wait and see.

Cremation is an interesting concept though. I would assume dwarves would rather their ashes be used in the production of fertilizer, soap or glass rather than stored in urns (store them AS urns. Not IN them).

Joakim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 06:13:00 am »

I'm gonna mod in a simple pyre "workshop" in the new version. Just throw the garbage/dead goblins in a pit and burn them.

varkarrus

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity and a knife go well together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 07:25:06 am »

And then once we get natural gas, we can round up and exterminate the elves! Because really, we always knew dwarfs were nazis.
Dip Stick! The newest candy! Just dip it, then lick it!
Or try FUBAR! The best chocolate bar ever!
And you can't eat them, either, sadly. Even though it'd make sieges so much more fun; dwarves lining the walls, drooling and carrying sharp knives and forks, ready for the upcoming meals.

ilsadir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 10:47:39 am »

I always have one of these already.  My forts are built around a single, hollow shaft going from the top to the bottom.  At the bottom are a few tiles of lava I have channeled over from a nearby lava pit: instant incinerator!  The most annoying issue is that putting a garbage dump on every level will usually take the dwarves to the bottom level, since they don't have much of a Z-pref.

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 03:46:14 pm »

some interesting suggestion spin offs.  I do agree that dwarfs should prefer their remains to be used in a us-full way, if it was up to me I would prefer my bones made into bolts and used to kill people, though I do not think noble dwarfs would like that too much :/.  I do not think plain lava incinerators would work very well, if only for the fact that garbage disposal brings another layer of depth to DF, (much in the same way I assume forts will need some type of flowing water for sewage or implement chamber pots).  This also remove what I consider a easy exploit of DF (garbage dumps) currently building furniture on rocks does not work very well and you end up having to dump all the stone in a single tile (and why not put that tile next to your masons work shop)  the smoke idea is cool though if you did that you would need to do the same thing with smelters.  with the addition of souls this could add to the value and us-fullness of an item, for instance a bone xbow made from urist mc legendary xbow dwarf should have some type of power.
From the description of the event, I think that your copy of Dwarf Fortress was on drugs when this happened. That's surely the only logical explanation for a human werewolf with deadly farts dying from it's own excrement after slaughtering some goblins comrades.

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2010, 05:48:53 pm »

So this is more of a little something when civics stuff gets implemented into Dwarf fortress, but can be used to handle the question of what to do with all that garbage.  I would suggest that dwarfs burn the garbage at a furnace.

Very simple, just dump things in the hole:

X = WALL
7 = MAGMA IN CHANNEL

XXX
  7X
XXX

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2010, 11:25:40 pm »

Very simple, just dump things in the hole:

X = WALL
7 = MAGMA IN CHANNEL

XXX
  7X
XXX
Bad idea, the ghost glob glitch.