Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: In what fashion do you usually build your fortress?  (Read 5964 times)

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
  • For Surely he is the Cuisinart Hat Rack
    • View Profile
Re: In what fashion do you usually build your fortress?
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2010, 07:21:05 am »

I've been playing with large(one shift directional radius) rounded rooms.

I have 2 main shafts, (A main Shaft, and a food stuffs shaft. The hallway conncecting the two has my dining room split off, as well as apartments.
That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2010, 08:35:28 am »

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-8054#lastComment

Behold, my first upload to the archives  :D

I'm quite fond of this style; I think I may use it liberally in the future.

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2010, 09:32:19 am »

Neat, human fortresses are fun for a change. 

Anyway, I used to do elaborate fortresses mostly on the same Z level until it got to big.  Just too much hassle though, and the hauling/pathing just gets crazy after a while.

Now I just sink a 5x5 staircase down to the basement, with cavernous 25 by 25 or so rooms around it for the first few levels.  Workshops line up around the stair, more or less, with everything stockpiles filling the rest.  Top level gets farm stuff, the rest just get whatever as I need it.  Below that is my meeting hall level, which gets magma pumped around it because thats the only level with space for it.  Then below that is one huge luxury dwarf stockpile of the people, because digging individual bedrooms gets old fast.  Beyond about 50 or a hundred bedrooms, each new bed seems to add more total value then the extra dwarf room takes away.  And in any case, an artifact or some solid gold statues makes everything royal.  Noble housing and graves and an obsidian farm go at or near the bottom, for safety in case of magma containment failure.  Oh and a barracks and a castle thing go above ground. 

Fun Fact:  A dorf takes the same amount of time to move diagonally as err... left/right/up/down, so it takes the same amount of time to get to any edge of a square.  So my fortress is a cylinder, with corners  ::)
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2010, 12:10:22 pm »

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-8054#lastComment

Behold, my first upload to the archives  :D

I'm quite fond of this style; I think I may use it liberally in the future.

I especially like the little house under construction. It is quite charming!
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.
Pages: 1 2 [3]