Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Causing Cave Ins  (Read 732 times)

Ari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Causing Cave Ins
« on: February 15, 2010, 12:00:10 am »

So I am trying to cause a cave in to get through an aquifer. I did it as per the instructions of the wiki...and nothing. That poor dwarf is trapped there, unable to get down or across. In fact at the time of typing this he had just died of starvation...how can I cause cave ins? I have the line in the init file that sets cave ins on. Not sure what do do...

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Causing Cave Ins
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 12:25:04 am »

Looks like that is connected with floors 1 level down.

Specifically, it looks like the level below is like this:

++++++++++
+========+
+========+
+========+
+========.
+========+
+========+
+........+

Where +s are floors, =s are walls, and .s are open space/channels.

Remove the floors on that level, and if it isn't supported from below as well, it'll collapse. Remember, even the smallest orthagonal connection with a floor or wall is enough to support even the grandest megaconstruction! You have to sever it utterly to cause a cave-in, and you've simply not done that here. Floors support, too, so you've got more work to do.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Ari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 12:37:01 am »

Ah. So the connection also counts diagonally across Z-levels as well?
 but actually, the floor below it is like this:
<<<<<<<<<<
<========<
<========<
<========<
<========<
<========<
<========<
<<<<<<<<<<

And the center is all channeled out because the aquifer is one more down.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 01:13:06 am »

Ah. So the connection also counts diagonally across Z-levels as well?
Yeah, sort of, though I kinda forgot that staircases support, too. Which is relevant because of how I'm interpreting your diagram below:

but actually, the floor below it is like this:
<<<<<<<<<<
<========<
<========<
<========<
<========<
<========<
<========<
<<<<<<<<<<
because I see those <s as up stairs, which work just like floors for support. So get rid of them and it should collapse.

And the center is all channeled out because the aquifer is one more down.
By that you mean that there's a z-level where there's just an open pool in the aquifer, right? That would be the logical thing, and is the correct way to go about this method of aquifer piercing.

Also, the fact that you don't know how to cause a cavein, or how you could've saved that dwarf given your apparent and probably resources, suggests to me that you probably shouldn't be trying to pierce an aquifer just yet. It's not an easy thing to do, and can be terribly disastrous if you make a mistake.

(You could've built a wooden bridge or floor over to save the dwarf, since you obviously have at least 1 tree and probably have an axe. The bridge wouldn't even have screwed up your collapse plan, since they don't provide support. Just FYI  ;))
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Ari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 01:44:35 am »

If the stairs support diagonally across Zs then that would be a problem. But still...does the layer of channels need to be the same size as the tunnel or one smaller?

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 01:52:23 am »

I'm... not sure what you mean by "tunnel." Do you mean the channeled-out space above the aquifer, where water shows through? That needs to be the same size as the block you're dropping into the aquifer or bigger. The ring of channels around the block needs to actually surround the block, so it has to be bigger, too. And the channels on the top level need to be just the same as the ring of channels around the block.

Psychoceramics

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 03:41:31 am »

jebus, make it complicated.

# is channel here
_ is dig here
space is nothing, don't touch that tile

top level:
#####
#____#
#____#
#____#
#####

middle level:
#####
#      #
#      #
#      #
#####

level above aquifer
______
_###_
_###_
_###_
______

and that's a 1x1 square that's safe to dig through. increase dimensions as you see fit.