Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: How to be a badass at X-COM, part 1  (Read 10236 times)

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
Re: How to be a badass at X-COM, part 1
« Reply #75 on: February 20, 2010, 09:42:41 am »

Second base assault went... well... I think.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I would have had more soldiers survive, but a sectoid fired a Blaster Launcher into one of the green exit areas the turn before I aborted.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 09:44:29 am by Myroc »
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 20, 2010, 09:44:17 am »

I just reflexively tried clicking "okay" to get it to go away, instead of clicking the spoiler.  I haven't even played the game all that recently  :-\
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 20, 2010, 10:54:22 am »

bases aren't easy, mainly if you have never seen a sectoid leader or an ethereal during the whole game, which means you have no psi.
I don't complain about lack of ethereals, but more sectoids would be good... I need a sectoid leader.

my preferred, but never tested, way of winning alien bases, is to take 4 blasters, 40 bombs, and destroy the place from starting area. numbers may change, depending on what equipment you want to give to the other soldiers.
if you want quick victory, I suppose some blasters  could punch a way to the commander quite easily, then kil lit without leaving starting area. enter, blast, kill/destroy, leave.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 20, 2010, 12:10:27 pm »

I only do alien bases after I have 2 or 3 psi units. They can sit on base and dominate everything.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 20, 2010, 01:06:50 pm »

I get a lot of crashes in UFO Defense, mostly when entering or leaving ground combat. Is there a patch or something for that?
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 20, 2010, 01:09:17 pm »

I get a lot of crashes in UFO Defense, mostly when entering or leaving ground combat. Is there a patch or something for that?
1. Use dosbox
2. Did you use xcomutils? if so, you need java for some options.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 20, 2010, 02:07:06 pm »

Does anyone else find it easier to use less soldiers?

I run around with a squad of 4 soldiers and a tank and over the course of 13 missions only 4 deaths, no actual mission losses(except when I ran from 2 terror missions at the start).

That is a valid play style and part of self challenges. The Chuck Norris Challenge, and the Bruce Lee Challenge. Your major disadvantages if I recall correctly, is that to get more experience soldiers, you need to constantly go in and switch out. Not as many HP per mission, and you're slow to deploy multiple weapon systems. The advantage is that they get more experience points per mission, and get more kills, so you should get stronger soldier faster, if you can keep them alive.

It doesn't play to my prefer tactics, so I dont use less soldiers very often.

Floaters don't use psi, Mr.Wiggles.  That's Ethereals you're thinking of.  Floaters are one of the best options for raids.  Not as strong as Mutons, no psi, and if you want a commander, they have a commander.

Right right. Sorries. Been a year since I played last.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 20, 2010, 03:12:15 pm »

Floaters do however float, which is really annoying.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 20, 2010, 06:43:17 pm »

I run around with a squad of 4 soldiers and a tank and over the course of 13 missions only 4 deaths, no actual mission losses(except when I ran from 2 terror missions at the start).

The key word there, I think, is "over the course of 13 missions".  Your soldiers are going to be quite above average, yes...and if you savescum, they'll be total badasses...but once you start taking on Very Large UFOs, you might start to realize that you are ultimately being outflanked or simply outnumbered.  When five aliens pop out of the ship in one turn, at very long range but within LOS, you'll have a hard time killing them in the first turn before one of them takes someone's head off with heavy plasma.  Also:  You haven't encountered mutons with your little group there.  It's not uncommon to need two soldiers' worth of autofire to kill one muton, which means that as few as three mutons can effectively outnumber your group.

And then there's recruits.  Think of them as $40,000 probe devices that can open a door, scout for enemies, and act as chaff to soak up some alien reaction fire.  Sounds expensive in the early game, but by the late game, wouldn't you kill for some of those probes?
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 20, 2010, 07:01:17 pm »

The key word there, I think, is "over the course of 13 missions".  Your soldiers are going to be quite above average, yes...and if you savescum, they'll be total badasses...but once you start taking on Very Large UFOs, you might start to realize that you are ultimately being outflanked or simply outnumbered.  When five aliens pop out of the ship in one turn, at very long range but within LOS, you'll have a hard time killing them in the first turn before one of them takes someone's head off with heavy plasma.  Also:  You haven't encountered mutons with your little group there.  It's not uncommon to need two soldiers' worth of autofire to kill one muton, which means that as few as three mutons can effectively outnumber your group.

And then there's recruits.  Think of them as $40,000 probe devices that can open a door, scout for enemies, and act as chaff to soak up some alien reaction fire.  Sounds expensive in the early game, but by the late game, wouldn't you kill for some of those probes?

Its not impossible, I've seen harvesters and supply ship taken out with one soldier, its just going to be harder, and force you to be much more aware of your surrounding and be cautious as fuck. It also may make all doors a mission ending death trap.

However, its nots im

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 20, 2010, 11:01:00 pm »

...ow.
I just tried to tackle an alien base.
Fourteen people goes in.
Four come out. Two are wounded. And the base is still there.
:|
Thank you for reminding me.

6 men, 2 tanks (plasma and rocket) enter.  1 man emerges from the smoking wreckage.

Good thing the titular badass was injured in a previous mission.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 11:11:54 pm by zchris13 »
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 20, 2010, 11:16:41 pm »

In TFTD, an enemy killed my last goon once, and somehow I wound up being the victor.  I'm not sure just what happened, but I'm guessing it had something to do with there being maybe one or two aliens left and possibly some of the wound-bugginess that results from using psi on aliens.  Or maybe explosives.  At this point I don't remember exactly how the goon died.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 21, 2010, 03:45:02 pm »

God damn it.

I've been forced to replay the same terror ship TWICE so far because a cyberdisc on the second floor keeps blowing up the floor outside the central room, making it impossible for me to finish the mission. :|
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 21, 2010, 03:50:39 pm »

God damn it.

I've been forced to replay the same terror ship TWICE so far because a cyberdisc on the second floor keeps blowing up the floor outside the central room, making it impossible for me to finish the mission. :|

Cyberdisk are at risk to being knocked out. Its a bug, and I dont remember how to do it, but the xcom wiki probably has details on it.  I *may* be confusing this with the 3/4 passed out bug, but I dont think I am.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 21, 2010, 03:57:38 pm »

bug? I thought cyberdisks exploding was normal...
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7