Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: How to be a badass at X-COM, part 1  (Read 10249 times)

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
Re: How to be a badass at X-COM, part 1
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2010, 07:52:57 pm »

I have nothing to add to this conversation except a barely related (in that it is X-com) picture.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2010, 08:37:38 pm »

Well fuck.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2010, 08:45:30 pm »

There's not many times when I would say "Run to the skyranger and evacuate".

That would be one of them.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2010, 08:57:27 pm »

I would assume that was staged by sacrificing loads of recruits.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2010, 09:26:40 pm »

I would assume that was staged by sacrificing loads of recruits.
That, or someone is just really bad at dealing with chrysalids.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2010, 09:41:53 pm »

I've had 5 or 7 or so pop up on me on really badly handle city terror missions.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2010, 09:46:49 pm »

Upon reflection, beating that many chyrsalids back (alone?) would be badass.  The most I've done with one guy is 3.  It was in TFTD, where they're brain things that can move up and down like your own fliers, but I took em one at a time before they did the full zombie-to-brain conversion.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2010, 10:12:54 pm »

If you have a hyper wave decoder. You only need on on earth. All the extras are just sucking money and all the older radar stations are also sucking money out of you.
You need an empty hangar to construct crafts. So the manufacturing base shouldn't be an interceptor base well. 
Since you dont have Psi ability yet, you may still benefit from a science base. I dont recall how frequent psi is on beginner difficulty, its been a while since I played on that setting. It'll should be used to hold any excess alien prisoners. (Also you need a contamient facility on your xcom base where the ground forces come from)
Due to a bug, the firestrorm isnt a feasible interceptor craft (unless you have the mod that fixes it), it also eats 115 like a motherfucker. So extra interception bases may suit you well.  Remember they need one soldier to be consider defended, in case of base incursion. So you can have your main defense be tanks.
Dont arm interceptors with fusion balls weapons.
-I have 3.  I don't have enough coverage otherwise.  I have ALL THE MONEYS, so it doesn't even matter.  Manufacturing crafts to sell is the worst idea in the history of ever, BTW.
-I do too have psi.  I just haven't made any amps.  Waiting until my Avenger is completed.  I have HAD a containment facility.  I have psi AND hyper wave, also working on commander for Cydonia.
-I still need the firestorms speed, so interceptors are just not cutting it.
-Fusion SUCK balls, haha.

That man is in a flying suit.  Easy enough to kill those crysalids.

this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2010, 10:40:57 pm »

You ought to begin a mission with each explosive primed for different turns. Starting with the weakest.

That way, each turn will just become a larger explosion. For a good effect test, I advise you use smoke bombs first.
Yeah well, the problem is that explosives don't explode in unit inventories. There are however several game editors and mods that fix this.
Crap, I forgot to add "When she dies".

Upon death, all dropped grenades that were primed go off.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2010, 10:47:07 pm »

If you have a hyper wave decoder. You only need on on earth. All the extras are just sucking money and all the older radar stations are also sucking money out of you.
You need an empty hangar to construct crafts. So the manufacturing base shouldn't be an interceptor base well. 
Since you dont have Psi ability yet, you may still benefit from a science base. I dont recall how frequent psi is on beginner difficulty, its been a while since I played on that setting. It'll should be used to hold any excess alien prisoners. (Also you need a contamient facility on your xcom base where the ground forces come from)
Due to a bug, the firestrorm isnt a feasible interceptor craft (unless you have the mod that fixes it), it also eats 115 like a motherfucker. So extra interception bases may suit you well.  Remember they need one soldier to be consider defended, in case of base incursion. So you can have your main defense be tanks.
Dont arm interceptors with fusion balls weapons.
-I have 3.  I don't have enough coverage otherwise.  I have ALL THE MONEYS, so it doesn't even matter.  Manufacturing crafts to sell is the worst idea in the history of ever, BTW.
-I do too have psi.  I just haven't made any amps.  Waiting until my Avenger is completed.  I have HAD a containment facility.  I have psi AND hyper wave, also working on commander for Cydonia.
-I still need the firestorms speed, so interceptors are just not cutting it.
-Fusion SUCK balls, haha.

That man is in a flying suit.  Easy enough to kill those crysalids.

I know selling crafts for is bad for monies, you can tell as I stated I found it odd you made so much money with selling the fighter laser cannon. As that is the most profitable item to make and sell.

then you dont need any other bases at all.

Fooj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2010, 02:11:27 am »

I became very badass at XCOM when I realized that the only collateral damage is from civilian deaths, and there are only civilians on terror missions. My spending on explosives increased significantly, though I think I also contributed significantly to global dimming.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2010, 02:58:40 am »

Explosives are bad for your pocketbook, because they might blow up DELICIOUS LOOT.

An AC/HE will, on average, blow up any blaster launcher that the alien might be carrying, if it blows up at ground zero.  But it probably won't blow up plasma weapons.  (AC/HE is the weakest explosive out there.)

Everything else, even the lowly grenade, will more often than not blow up ALL weapons--even plasma pistols, heavy plasma, etc!--on ground zero of the blast.

An alien grenade will usually blow up all the useful loot you would want, even three tiles away.  So can rockets, if you're unlucky.  Heck, they can take out an entire alien squad's worth of salable goods.

And of course, keep explosives away from elerium.  The slightest nick of any explosive at all can ruin that stuff.

Seriously...If I have to choose between sacrificing two moderately-promising recruits ($80,000, maybe a little more when you consider the other chaff you have to hire to get them) or chucking in an alien grenade and blowing up two Heavy Plasma (sale value: $343,200)?  Sorry, recruits, looks like you'll die young.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2010, 03:12:01 am »

Someone told me recently that you can open door by right clicking on the other side of them.  I tried it and it doesn't work.  Has anyone else heard of this?
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2010, 04:15:11 am »

Someone told me recently that you can open door by right clicking on the other side of them.  I tried it and it doesn't work.  Has anyone else heard of this?

Only in the PS1 version if I recall correctly.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2010, 04:37:45 am »

It works on TFTD, but not in UFO.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7