Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: How to be a badass at X-COM, part 1  (Read 10246 times)

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
Re: How to be a badass at X-COM, part 1
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2010, 09:23:22 am »

Correct me if I'm wrong but that person is holding 4 high explosives, 6 proximity grenades, 4 aliens grenades and 2 smoke grenades, that compromises for the lack of TUs. The reason being is if she is shot, FUN ensures!
Nope. It will end up with one grenade/explosive blowing up, destroying the rest before they can do so too.
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2010, 11:21:41 am »

Need a dispenser here!

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2010, 12:45:29 pm »

Correct me if I'm wrong but that person is holding 4 high explosives, 6 proximity grenades, 4 aliens grenades and 2 smoke grenades, that compromises for the lack of TUs. The reason being is if she is shot, FUN ensures!
That's AFTER I move.  That mofo has no encumbrance. Almost 50 strength.

Also, none of those things are primed, at that moment.  That terror mission (floaters) was really easy.  It boiled down to some bro named Andrea Martin (certified badass) shooting the aliens, then throwing their grenades to Sigourney.  She primed them then exploded the reapers.

EDIT: I checked, and Sigourney has an encumbrance of about -17 TU's.  She has 51 TUs left.

She, so far, has not been the target of psi attacks.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 02:46:36 pm by zchris13 »
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2010, 02:59:02 pm »

Yeah. Soldiers who stick around a while have a tendency to gain superhuman strength.

(I should know, as a result of a tad too much savescumming to save those soldiers I've gotten attached to.

...well, most of them anyway.)

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2010, 04:02:59 pm »

I use a natural selection method. If they die, they suck, no matter how much experience they had.

Of course, it's rare to keep a "first encounter" unit, as in, the ones who storm in first. But my artillery and heavy support units, who stay back and KABOOM aliens usually end up really experienced and with lots of kills. My rocket-launcher unit is usually the most experienced one.

Demolition units seem to survive fairly well too. When I have to storm any 2 floor building, I send to just push in 2 units and then come with a demolition one and set a couple charges and bring the building down.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2010, 04:08:19 pm »

Okay.  I have 10 mil in cash lying around, and just decided to buy 2 new bases.  One is in Asia-central, the other, north Africa covering Europe and the alien base in NA, whose supply ships I shall raid.  My main base is in the great lakes area, around Ohio.  Should I build a fourth base?

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2010, 04:18:26 pm »

You ought to begin a mission with each explosive primed for different turns. Starting with the weakest.

That way, each turn will just become a larger explosion. For a good effect test, I advise you use smoke bombs first.

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2010, 04:33:30 pm »

You ought to begin a mission with each explosive primed for different turns. Starting with the weakest.

That way, each turn will just become a larger explosion. For a good effect test, I advise you use smoke bombs first.
Yeah well, the problem is that explosives don't explode in unit inventories. There are however several game editors and mods that fix this.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2010, 04:40:32 pm »

Also, you cannot start with grenades that are primed, and grenades destroy things on the ground, including grenades.

Also, ask yourself how Gunter Unger got to be where he is.

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2010, 04:45:26 pm »

A: Floated in through a hole in the ceiling caused by excessive firepower.
B: Became mind controlled and got moved into that room.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2010, 04:56:55 pm »

A: Power armor, not flying armor. I don't have the elerium for flying.
B: Floater mission.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2010, 06:00:22 pm »

Ship corner bug.

And you can do the whole prime and blow up thing in apoc. Characters with explosive ammo in apoc were funny as hell when everything started blowing up on fire.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2010, 06:24:07 pm »

Okay.  I have 10 mil in cash lying around, and just decided to buy 2 new bases.  One is in Asia-central, the other, north Africa covering Europe and the alien base in NA, whose supply ships I shall raid.  My main base is in the great lakes area, around Ohio.  Should I build a fourth base?

It depends. Though I am curious how you got that amount of cash without a manufacturing base churning out fighter laser cannons.

Do you have the hyperwave decoder? If not, do you have any holes in yer radar coverage? Remember multiple radar dishes are not cumulative.

What did you turn those other two bases into? Are they just interceptor bases or radar bases? Did you turn one into a science base and one into a manufacturing base.

If the screen shot with the power armor and the heavy plasma, is your current game, then you're near the end game and extra bases probably arent needed at all.

I also find it curious you have having 115 shortages that late in the game.  My guess is that your cheating or playing on a really easy playing level. Which doesnt really matter, but it is curious you made it to power armor with one base.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2010, 07:01:54 pm »

This is the first game I'm going all the way with, and it is on beginner. Of course I have found a navigator, and they are both interceptor/radar bases. I'm making one manufacturing.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2010, 07:34:37 pm »

This is the first game I'm going all the way with, and it is on beginner. Of course I have found a navigator, and they are both interceptor/radar bases. I'm making one manufacturing.

If you have a hyper wave decoder. You only need on on earth. All the extras are just sucking money and all the older radar stations are also sucking money out of you.

You need an empty hangar to construct crafts. So the manufacturing base shouldn't be an interceptor base well. 

Since you dont have Psi ability yet, you may still benefit from a science base. I dont recall how frequent psi is on beginner difficulty, its been a while since I played on that setting. It'll should be used to hold any excess alien prisoners. (Also you need a contamient facility on your xcom base where the ground forces come from)

Due to a bug, the firestrorm isnt a feasible interceptor craft (unless you have the mod that fixes it), it also eats 115 like a motherfucker. So extra interception bases may suit you well.  Remember they need one soldier to be consider defended, in case of base incursion. So you can have your main defense be tanks.

Dont arm interceptors with fusion balls weapons.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7