Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What to do with captured creatures?  (Read 1914 times)

Arathel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What to do with captured creatures?
« on: February 14, 2010, 10:02:37 pm »

So, I've just now started using cage traps which are wreaking havoc with any ambushes that show up but I don't know what to do with the captured goblins and dark elves that are now accumulating in my stockpiles. What do you do with your captured enemies?
"Rehh I don't like your 'SCIENCE'" -As I 'test' 'shock shoes'

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What to do with captured creatures?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 10:06:30 pm »

There's lots of horrendously evil things you can do with them.  Run a search across the board.  This has been discussed a few times before.  Personally, I usually just throw them in a pit or release them to the Arbiter's Grounds...

Arathel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 10:12:31 pm »

There's lots of horrendously evil things you can do with them.  Run a search across the board.  This has been discussed a few times before.  Personally, I usually just throw them in a pit or release them to the Arbiter's Grounds...

Maybe I'm just horrible at searching as I couldn't find anything?

On a side note though, how do you go about moving and releasing a specific cage when you have multiple ones?
"Rehh I don't like your 'SCIENCE'" -As I 'test' 'shock shoes'

starburst98

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 10:15:08 pm »

press 'x' on the select cage menu

MacaqueAttack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 11:35:05 pm »

Is it possible to sell caged sentients? I had an idea for a slave trade.

Dwarven WMD

• Bay Watcher
  • Amateur Aspiring Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 11:40:48 pm »

I personally like torture.
Drowning, dropping things on them, dropping them, oh and my personal favorite, gassing them.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 11:44:17 pm by Dwarven WMD »
The Russian throws Steiner into a chair, screaming "I do not care about genetic research!"
The Russian pulls out a M1911!
The Russian screams "I am Viktor Reznov! And I, will, have, my, REVENGE!"
The Russian shoots Steiner between the eyes.
The Russian loses juice.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 12:01:56 am »

It may be possible to actually effectively boil them (steam does nothing in this version) with booze. Zinc boils at magma temperature, but doesn't appear to rise the necessary z-level to galvanise the gobbos. You may get better results with booze, though.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 12:08:31 am »

I kind of like to strip them naked, and make a "zoo" filled with elves, goblins, and humans.  I like to imagine it as something of a cross between a freakshow and a living trophy room.  Humiliating your enemies is also quite a bit more simple than setting up death traps, you just have to build the cages.

Some dwarves get happy thoughts from seeing elves if they are their favorite animals, too.

You can theoretically also mod your game so that you can have tameable pet humans or the like.  Somehow, the idea of dwarf children walking around tugging on the leash of their pet humans just tickles me, and showcases the proper order of the species.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

metaliturtle

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 12:11:06 am »

Always fun to build cages in between archery targets.

Urist McOverlord

• Bay Watcher
  • [Evil_Genius]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 01:42:47 am »

My current fort has 2 ways. Number one is disarming/stripping the gobbos before pitting them into a specially made magma chamber. Option 2 involves my tamed and trained war titan ([PET_EXOTIC] and [trAINABLE] for the win!)
Magma: The cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.

If it moves, it wants to kill you. It may not try to, but it wants to.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2010, 02:51:29 am »

I use them as target practice. or to train my axedwarves. gotta unarm them first, though.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2010, 02:54:51 am »

Arena or drowning pool.
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

yuriatayde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2010, 03:13:38 am »

I haven't gotten around to playing with cages yet, but here are my plans once I do:

If caged dragon or imp, place it in a turret so it can shoot out at incoming sieges. I wonder if this would actually work...

If caged Cat (note; thermonuclear catsplosion code is ON) then I place the cages around my defensive structures, linked to a lever that will release them, thus causing explosions to go off all over the place. Good bye vile force of darkness!

If caged enemy, I'll probably make an arena for them. Unarm them, and send in my army; releasing an entire wave of goblins with the pull of a lever when I'm ready. Alternatively, I'd retract the bridge and pick them off with archers.

Other ideas: Zoo, drowning pool, releasing them in the depot room for discount caravan goods, pit full of whip traps, pit full of hammer traps (sends them flying, great fun to watch), release them back into the wild through a short tunnel full of serrated spinning disc traps, let them keep my nobility company, leaving them on a sky-platform to bake in the sun, dropping them down the Dump hole that leads to the obsidian making chamber (I like to melt my junk goods), dropping them down the bottomless pit, dropping them down the almost-bottomless pit,

or mix and match: a platform in the sky covered in hammer traps where if they get knocked off they'll drop into the almost-bottomless pit.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2010, 01:33:00 pm »

ZOO
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Snix

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2010, 02:15:35 pm »

I've recently captured a titan (first ever) and once the maze has been smoothed I'm going to release him in there as a sort of minotaur to kill off Goblin POW.
Pages: [1] 2