Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I would love to build the fortress from the adventure mode  (Read 1668 times)

teloft

• Bay Watcher
  • We found the zirilid stream
    • View Profile
I would love to build the fortress from the adventure mode
« on: February 14, 2010, 08:10:09 pm »

I would love to build the fortress from the adventure mode. Starting off with the wagon as normal, only to control the one dwarf. Then issuing orders for the fort to be built and stuff like that. 

ALSO, I like my fortress landscape to be divided up in work/live zones, as to be able to shut off some parts of the playable fortress along with dwarfs and jobs in that section, thus speeding up the game where my adventure dwarf is fortressing around. Lets say that the dwarfs in the shut off part are still producing and advancing, but only at the rate as an average of last three years.  Then when an event is triggered, we can start calculating for hem again.
We found the zirilid stream

Dvergar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I would love to build the fortress from the adventure mode
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 10:34:56 pm »

Although most others would disagree, I would love for a marriage between Adventure, Fortress, and even Legends modes.

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 03:33:43 am »

Toady said it will happen.Derp.
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 03:56:26 am »

That'll happen in like, 40k. ;D
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 03:57:13 am »

That'll happen in like, 40k. ;D
Not really.It's supposed to happen in a few versions.
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 11:10:53 am »

This is the basic goal of the Adventurer Skills Arc:

# ADVENTURER SKILLS ARC: It's nice to have all those jobs and professions sitting around in the dwarf mode. The adventurer should be able to do these things, especially those skills related to survival in the wilderness. Eventually you'll be able to place constructions, create a home and have your own site on the map. Related to Core84, Core85, Core86, Req32, Req34, Req99, Req107, Req168, Req236, Req302, Req327, Req491, Bloat160, Bloat317, Bloat380, PowerGoal9, PowerGoal15 and PowerGoal103.

# Core84, HUNTING AND GATHERING, (Future): You need to be able to obtain food from the wilderness and perform other tasks related to processing a hunted creature's body, trading with the a town perhaps but able to survive in the wilds. More abstract hunting on the travel view needs to be roughly equivalent to hunting only on the local view. You should be able to find signs of animals to help you out, and you should be able to gather any plants you find.

# Core85, CHOP, DIG, BUILD!, (Future): As an adventurer, chop down trees, dig channels, mine into a cliff face, build whatever structure you have the patience for. Your efforts should be saved as a proper site or at least some similar notion (whatever inns and so on along roads end up using), and the contents should remain relatively undisturbed with proper precautions.

# Core86, ADVANCED ADVENTURER SKILLS, (Future): Virtually every job available in dwarf mode should be available to you as an adventurer, though it might rely on town infrastructure, especially at first.

And yes, Toady's going to be working on it in the near future:

After this release, the next series of shorter releases will be made up of, in no set order:
1) Improved sieges against your fortress
2) Adventurer skills/entity stuff, per the dev next stuff
3) Eternal suggestions voting stuff

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 05:52:57 pm »

40k as in warhammer 40k.  :P
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

CaptApollo12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 01:24:31 am »

warhammer 40k is set in the year 40,000. saying 40k is ok because it refers to the year.(I think) or he was refering to the realease aka version 40000d :)
"MONTARON!  You are so AGGRAVATING!   'Tis disturbing to my demeanor..."

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 04:09:57 am »

It would be cool to run around a while as an adventurer: meeting and working with people, hooking up with mushroom princesses, saving the world a time or two; and then after you get bored slaying dragons, getting all your v-friends together and building a little hero retirement village.

Every CRPG should have that.

You won the game, saved the rinky-dink village from the demon emperor, so where's the afterparty? The least those ungrateful bobbleheads could do is elect you Mayor for your efforts. A little B-and-B in Baldur's Gate, a hippie commune on the Clouds of Xeen, maybe a surfer's retreat on the 7th sea. A well-stocked bar and jukebox, a couple of mushroom kids, and a place for the Nameless One to hang my hat and 7 tons of adventure bling. That's all I'm asking for.

For they would be your masters.

Wang Commander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 05:33:15 pm »

I agree with that concept for a high-level game, rather than infinite power creep like in D&D's more recent editions.  Oh boy I am level 200 time to slay a gigarat and a hyperdragon.  *rolls 60000 dice*.  I remember in the earlier editions it was all about getting a stronghold and whatnot instead of becoming Jesus Christ, Exterminator.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 06:19:16 pm »

Yeah, and it's a more reasonable line of work for Conan the Noticeably Aging to persue, both physically, and in terms of finally moving out of his parents' dungeon.

Dvergar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2010, 06:51:04 pm »

I mean like no differentiation between modes.  Not just some cross features.  I think it would be cool to have one single "Dwarf Mode", instead of "Fortress Mode", "Adventure Mode", and "Legends"

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2010, 07:25:41 pm »

I mean like no differentiation between modes.  Not just some cross features.  I think it would be cool to have one single "Dwarf Mode", instead of "Fortress Mode", "Adventure Mode", and "Legends"

Well, what do you think Armok 3 is going to be?

wilsonns

• Bay Watcher
  • Golden hair?Green eyes?Spiky beard?Super Dorf Jin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2010, 10:47:04 pm »

We just should have a "play" mode...

teloft

• Bay Watcher
  • We found the zirilid stream
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2010, 11:30:25 pm »

Yes, a play mode
We found the zirilid stream